Spring Game—Saturday, April 16th

PressCover

1 hour ago, Jrship35 said:

Pittman did have surgery and is not in spring drills (should have clarified) ...... 36 tackles in each of his two years seems pretty consistent (second leading tackler on DL behind Coe last year).  May not be as high as numbers as one might want, but I personally saw no major weakness in his game. 

Not sure how you see it as a negative endorsement from Bowden.  As a Senior on the D-Line (or any spot as a senior and a returning 2 year starter). As a Coach, I would without a doubt look for  "bigger things" from a senior but more from a leadership perspective............ Maybe not though.  

I took it as more of a, "We know the type of talent Se'von has, therefore we are hoping to get more production out of him his senior year." I'm probably reading too much into it. However...

Four sacks over two seasons starting every game in the MAC isn't good enough for someone of his talent (although I do realize last year with Brown and Marcus sacks may have been harder to come by). Anything less than an All-MAC type of year will be disappointing and I'm sure that's the expectation he has for himself. With Pittman, Scott, and Marcus, there's no reason we can't have a talented senior step up as a leader on D.

• Like 1

It's Junior day today. Lots of recruits in town.

Unfortunately, some recruiting service thought it would be the perfect time to set up a competing event at the same exact time at one of the local high schools, dividing up the potential talent. I'd ignore any player that went to that event if I were UA's coaching staff; it's all one-on-one drills and ego stroking. If you even get a chance, ask coach Bowden what he thinks of recruiting services since he used to do some work with them when he was an analyst.

Edited by ZachTheZip

It would be nice to know who the heck is starting on the O-line this Spring. I'm assuming Erickson at center and Ritz somewhere, but what about the rest? Casimos may be in the mix, but I don't see the Kentucky transfer on our current roster on GoZips.com (not updated?). This is a huge part of the story, but little info.

Lastly, did I see a post with article where J. Marcus is switching to OLB (maybe a George boo boo in his 4/1 April fools article)? Also, any news about that defensive lineman from Buford, GA (swing away Jrship35).          

Edited by UA1987

21 hours ago, UA1987 said:

It would be nice to know who the heck is starting on the O-line this Spring. I'm assuming Erickson at center and Ritz somewhere, but what about the rest? Casimos may be in the mix, but I don't see the Kentucky transfer on our current roster on GoZips.com (not updated?). This is a huge part of the story, but little info.

Lastly, did I see a post with article where J. Marcus is switching to OLB (maybe a George boo boo in his 4/1 April fools article)? Also, any news about that defensive lineman from Buford, GA (swing away Jrship35).          

Haven't heard of Marcus to OLB.  DL is banged up with Pittman out.  The DL you speak of re-injured his hamstring Saturday (also kept him out of most of mat drills) and is probably done for Spring. He is making progress but needs to continue to fatten up (Thanks for asking)

Guess I gave the boy the dreaded kiss of injury by sating we need to get through spring ball with no injuries !!   

22 hours ago, UA1987 said:

With so many incoming bodies and so many spots to fill, I expect competition for those starting jobs. The "starting 5" now will likely be different come Fall.

Marcus isn't playing OLB, although I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing in a two-point stance a lot more this season. His versatility should be utilized; he played his entire first year at Ohio State at OLB. Amato started getting more creative with him in the bowl game by lining him up on the left and right tackles.

• Like 1

Just guessing, but here goes my thoughts on who, on the OL, might be running with the ones in Spring: Ritz LT, Casimos G, Erikson C, Kallay G, and Kortokrax RT with Hlay getting looks. Kentucky transfer will work in with the starters during Fall camp (maybe there now, but not on GoZips roster - hope this kid didn't leave with Funk) with Jordon, Council, and Bullard getting time on the 2 deep. I would guess that most incoming true freshman OL will redshirt, unless badly needed (which might be the case). Other JUCO's and transfers could vie for important spots.

Anyone going to Spring game or with any 2016 OL information please post.              

Edited by UA1987

A little insight into who is manning the defensive backfield and offensive line. However, I must be missing something because I'm about 110% certain that Ritz isn't a freshman.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-football-zips-defensive-backs-looking-to-be-more-physical-1.674061?localLinksEnabled=false&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

13 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Check out picture #6 from the above article.  It's Michaelee Harris.  Apparently he wants to get his last year in?  I thought he was done.

Good news!  That makes a stacked WR corps even deeper.

Your post made me want to check out the spring roster. Couple surprising names there. One being Franshon Bickley....

http://www.gozips.com/sports/fball/2016-17/roster

I did not see Krok on there and a few others rumored to be coming to Akron (I think the Massillon kid was another). Also looks like for the Freshman class that Council, Jordan, and Brown are early enrollees. Hopefully means good things for the OL.

8 hours ago, K92 said:

I think there are a couple mistakes on the names the BJ connected with the pics they took.

In this case I don't think so.  That picture shows what looks to be #12 catching a pass.  #12, according to the spring roster, is Michaelee Harris. He's listed as a RS Senior.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LZIp said:

A little insight into who is manning the defensive backfield and offensive line. However, I must be missing something because I'm about 110% certain that Ritz isn't a freshman.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-football-zips-defensive-backs-looking-to-be-more-physical-1.674061?localLinksEnabled=false&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Brown is a true freshman and Ritz is a sophomore. Big news that Brown is getting a look at left tackle and Gauthney at center. Still concerned that Krok followed Funk to Purdue. Glad to see Kortokrax crack the lineup after being Scout Team player of the year in 2015. 

Edited by UA1987