Spring Game—Saturday, April 16th

PressCover

As we get ready for the spring game, it doesn't hurt to take a look back at what the Zips are going to be building on.

@ZipsFBVideo has put a 2015 highlight video together. I hope 7 and 13 continue to build on those highlights. Could be special in '16.

• Like 1

I'm definitely curious to see how the interest is in the Spring game this year. We ended the season with a lot of positive headlines and the longest winning streak in D-1 in the state of Ohio. We lost a LOT but I'm encouraged by the holes being filled by transfers. Let's hope marketing starts plugging this asap. Gotta let people know it's happening if you want them to show up. 

5 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

I'm definitely curious to see how the interest is in the Spring game this year. We ended the season with a lot of positive headlines and the longest winning streak in D-1 in the state of Ohio. We lost a LOT but I'm encouraged by the holes being filled by transfers. Let's hope marketing starts plugging this asap. Gotta let people know it's happening if you want them to show up. 

The weather was fantastic last year, and the crowd was great.  I think someone stated somewhere that it was a record for a Spring game for the Zips.

It gave me a good reason to laugh afterwards at a couple of friends who are Suckeye Honks who said that Akron made a big mistake, and that nobody would go to Akron's game because they'd all be driving down south for their Spring game.   

2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Who absolutely should have been the MVP of that game but his second pick six came after the voting was done - idiotic that they used to pick an MVP before the game was done. 

• Like 1

Marla wrote a nice article on Dwight awhile back. 

The best individual defensive performance in an Akron uniform was put in by Dwight Smith against Kent back in 2000. Because of the cold weather, many probably stayed home. I was lucky enough to see two of the best NFL defensive players in the last two decades that day, Smith vs Harrison. Who would think at the time that both would go on to score TDs and win a SBs!?!? "MACtion before there was #MACtion"™

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Marla wrote a nice article on Dwight awhile back. 

The best individual defensive performance in an Akron uniform was put in by Dwight Smith against Kent back in 2000. Because of the cold weather, many probably stayed home. I was lucky enough to see two of the best NFL defensive players in the last two decades that day, Smith vs Harrison. Who would think at the time that both would go on to score TDs and win a SBs!?!? "MACtion before there was #MACtion"™

Smith had himself a pretty nice NFL career. Calling him one of the best NFL defensive players in 20 years is quite a stretch. Dwight's accolades don't come close to sniffing James'.

Edited by LZIp

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Smith had himself a pretty nice NFL career. Calling him one of the best NFL defensive players in 20 years is quite a stretch. Dwight's accolades don't come close to sniffing James'.

I'll assume he meant "MAC" and not NFL.

And in the past 20 years, "Best Defensive Zip"accolades could be argued amongst Smith, Taylor & Brown. Blackburn had a nice NFL career, but in his college days he wasn't the gamechanger that was Dwight Smith.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

Cbb-QNbW8AEJ82b.jpg

SmartSmartSmartSmartSmartSmartSmartSmart move.  Allow the best reporters and promoters the Zips have  (a half a dozen zn.o posters) come to practice.

It was a huge blunder by the staff closing practices last summer.  The was no hype built at all because guys like JZ84 weren't there observing and reporting.  The ABJ coverage was a farce as expected and I know for an absolute fact that many Zips fans were absolutely starved for some eyewitness reports from someone not named George.

Please be smart again this summer, Terry.

• 3 weeks later...

Spring ball starts next Monday! Will our credentialed members of ZN.o be covering any of it? I sure don't expect to hear anything from the ABJ. Going to try to catch the scrimmages at least myself. I've got the itch!

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

BIG if true, George.

To all- please share anything you come across regarding spring ball, as I'm not expecting much out there. Considering attending the scrimmage Saturday. I don't think Ball is on campus yet, right?