Zips @ Kent — Feb 19 at 6 pm

Dr Z

UA @ KSU  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Grrrrrrrrrr...that was FRUSTRATING.

May the next person on here that talks about the Zips running the table have their freaking keyboard freeze up until May.

We looked unprepared and lifeless.  Lots of guys who just didn't show up.  I'm not sure McAdams even got on the bus.  Just when I thought Kwan was starting to get past his addiction to the three pointers...  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Noah had a terrible game on offense, defense, and had 4 turnovers.  I have no clue why he plays a man close 40 feet from the basket.  They blow by him every time.  Without Pat we just did not have the interior defense after the Kent guards blew by our guards.  Maybe the big crowd on national TV got to him but one of the worst games I have ever seen him play.  Reggie missed an open 3 when the game was tied and that seemed to be the turning point.  Although Antino did not shoot the ball well he played with a lot of intensity on defense and looked like he did not want to lose this game.  

Big Dog was amazing.  Kent did not double team him and figured that without Pat that they would wear him out.  They were wrong!  When he picked up his 4th foul there was almost no interior defense.  Kent was athletic around the rim and without a rim protector we were doomed.

KD did not use Ivey because he was so bad last game but he is our most athletic guy and we could have used him tonight.  I think the league title could go down to the last game and I hope we have Pat back.    

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Noah had a terrible game on offense, defense, and had 4 turnovers.  I have no clue why he plays a man close 40 feet from the basket.  They blow by him every time.  Without Pat we just did not have the interior defense after the Kent guards blew by our guards.  Maybe the big crowd on national TV got to him but one of the worst games I have ever seen him play.  Reggie missed an open 3 when the game was tied and that seemed to be the turning point.  Although Antino did not shoot the ball well he played with a lot of intensity on defense and looked like he did not want to lose this game.  

Big Dog was amazing.  Kent did not double team him and figured that without Pat that they would wear him out.  They were wrong!  When he picked up his 4th foul there was almost no interior defense.  Kent was athletic around the rim and without a rim protector we were doomed.

KD did not use Ivey because he was so bad last game but he is our most athletic guy and we could have used him tonight.  I think the league title could go down to the last game and I hope we have Pat back.    

Truth.

Two turning points:  Reggie's miss when we were tied and when we were up 19 to 15 and they got offensive rebound and a 3.   

Was reading how 6th ranked Maryland lost to lowly Minnesota.  This stuff happens and with the stagnant nature of the MAC it just seems worse.  How well all these teams know each causes these same results...unexpected losses...or big wins from the bottom feeders.  Until there is some new blood in the conference it wont change.

15 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I agree that IVEY should have got a chance in this game. because he didnt play no worse than aybody last game they all played like crap to me. But he is the most atheletic and could have ran with cant state!  I believe that he needs some time on the floor to be able to find his game. Everybody knows we just stand behind the 3 point line. If were going to win this tournament we better get it together! AND QUICK

So...my turn to rant.

Cant fans are a-holes. They actually booed Jake when he when had to go out with a racing heartbeat. I made sure to explain his heart problems rather loudly and heard stuff along the lines of "well how are we supposed to know?" behind me. Bottom line is that booing a guy who is clearly in a ton of pain, clutching his chest, and forcing the game to be stopped is just absolutely classless. A lot of stuff about Kent really makes me mad but this got my blood boiling. The guy behind me must have felt slighted by my evident annoyance and decided that he would clap as loudly as possible directly into my ear non-stop the entire rest of the game, which was just delightful. Plenty of rude jeers as well.

Also, I thought it was kind of a lame crowd. They got up towards the end, but i just didn't feel the same buzz that I always feel for these games. Noticeably short from being a packed house, too. I know the Akron student section is often pretty poor, but Kent's was about as unenthusiastic as I've seen a student section at a rivalry game, at least at my end of the court. Band played about the same 5 songs over and over. Akron's band/dance/cheerleaders >>>>>>>> Kent's.

As for the actual game, Kent sure picked a great time to hit seemingly every single shot and Akron picked an awful time to hit none of them. Nearly everything that could've gone wrong did go wrong, it seemed.

Special shoutout to the refs for taking Kwan and Big Dog out of the game and making it impossible to defend the last ~5 minutes (not that we were doing much of that anyways).

I'm just in a very anti-Kent mood. Tonight was a major bummer. On a positive note, I was doing some research and we have sent the Flushes home from Cleveland 4 out of the past 5 years. Can't wait to make it 5 in 6 this year.

• Like 3

I felt like this was a repeat of a few games ago, where our opponent decided to put pressure on the wings and guards, and let Kwan shoot the long range jumpers.  That game, he hit them.  This game, those shots were all over the place.  Lets face it, these guys were athletic and quick enough to fight through the screens and stay with all of our primary long-range shooters.  Reggie wasn't "non-existent".  They made him non-existent by never giving him much of any makeable looks. 

Why the criticism from a few of you about saying we could run the table?  As I've made known, it was stupid to talk about it in January.  But, winning these last 5 games of the schedule should have been very doable.  Instead, we're now going to have to battle for this title again, and now need Ken+ to lose another game, or they are coming to Akron in a couple of weeks with a chance to steal the title from us with the tiebreaker.

I'll definitely be rooting for Buffalo to beat them on Tuesday in Canada.     

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

They out hustled us all night long.

Coaching? Lack of a locker room/floor general? Soft December schedule? How do we NOT get off of the bus at our rival and atop the MAC and not find a way to win that game? I have that 'wash-wait-until-next-year-repeat' feeling after last night. 

A couple of surprising stats this morning that I really didn't realize while watching the game:

1) Noah, Antino and Reggie were a combined 3 of 22 from 3-point range. 

2) The free throw attempts were a 33 to 11 advantage for Ken+.  This may seem shocking, but the guys who got the FT opportunities were the two guys who were taking the ball to the basket on this team: Big Dog and Antino. 

This reminds me of some of the many typical Ken+ teams, who have athletic guys who attack the rim and attack the offensive glass.  But, we have a couple of week to figure out how to get more open looks from 3-point range, and those shots will fall, and it will be an entirely different game. 

Akron really missed Pat as a compliment/backup to Big Dog. Big Dog couldn't do anything defensively down low most of the second half because of foul trouble.

Akron, a good three point shooting team, did the opposite.

Kent, a bad three point defending team and bad free throw shooting team, did the opposite.

Just an anomaly. On to the next game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GoZips88 said:

Coaching? Lack of a locker room/floor general? Soft December schedule? How do we NOT get off of the bus at our rival and atop the MAC and not find a way to win that game? I have that 'wash-wait-until-next-year-repeat' feeling after last night. 

The Zips will have trouble. In ANY game where two of the three 'bigs' are in foul trouble and the third is unavailable to play at all. That truly makes us not only a live or die by the three team but a live or die by the contested three team. Kwan picked up foul number 4 last night with the score tied 61-61. I don't think it is a coincidence that from that point on with our big guys having to play tentative that the opponent went on a run to finish the game.

When Reggie and Antino are not hitting and Big Dog is on the bench we need a spark from somebody. I thought at one point last night that Josh Williams was starting to really heat up then he seemed to disappear. For what it's worth I thought Jake played well last night and I hope we see more of that Jake (without the fouls) the rest of the season.