Fastbreak Points

Ham

I've noticed fast break and the transition game in general has been a huge weakness for us all season. In order to get fast break points, you need to create opportunities for your athletic players to get into the open court. This typically requires getting steals (particularly in the open court) or securing rebounds and quickly getting an outlet pass to a player streaking down court,

Akron really isn't comprised of speedy athletic players. Also, getting steals in the open court is the easiest way of generating fast break points. Akron is 293 out of 351 in steals. Meanwhile it seems the only turnovers the Zips commit are in the open court. Perimeter players typically have no problem getting into the lane against the Zips which forces the defense to collapse. If there is nobody down court for a rebounder to throw an outlet pass to, there is no chance to catch the defense napping and get a quick fast break bucket. 

Edited by kreed5120

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Thanks for posting this thread.  This really helps those of us with no basketball IQ.  It does seem like even when we do get a fast break it ends up with a whammy...missed dunk, missed lay up, a foul and missed free throws.

Yeah, I distinctly remember vs. Buffalo Antino came up with a steal and had a step on the defender. He held up looking to draw the foul instead of just laying it in off the glass. The defender ended up closing down and finished it off with a clean block.

When I see a team that lack ability to drive and finish at the basket, it doesn't surprise me when I don't see successful run-outs after steals or rebounds. 

I haven't really seen that change throughout the entire Dambrot era.  We rarely have those types of players. 

Likewise, as a fan, I often tell my wife before the home games start that "I want to see some dunks tonight".  And I usually don't get my wish. 

This is a weakness of this team.  I cannot remember the last time a guard stripped the ball from an opposing player and went in for a layup or anticipated a pass and went in for a layup.  I always thought that Quincy Diggs was a good player at anticipating a pass, stealing the ball and finishing a fast break. 

Every time we get a rebound or anything other than a breakaway steal, we look immediately to get the ball to the point guard.  While that's not always a bad idea, it is not conducive to pushing the ball.  In every rotation, there should be at least three players (the 1, 2 and 3) on the floor that can take an outlet and go.  I don't expect Bog Dog to lead the break, but our tendency to always look for the point guard may be a sign the staff has opted not to push the ball.