Falcons @ Zips — Feb 26

Dr Z

49 minutes ago, GJGood said:

By my calculations regardless of OU/ Buff A Zips win Tuesday and its time to add to what is already hanging from the JAR rafters.

I disagree I think, if Buff wins they have six losses and a win Tues and a loss to Kent gives us 6 losses so it goes to a tie breaker. If OU wins and we beat them, OU and Buffalo each have 7 losses, the MOST we can have is 6. Ditto Kent, they now have 7 losses. A win on Tues eliminates them. The only one left standing would be Ball State.

39 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

I disagree I think, if Buff wins they have six losses and a win Tues and a loss to Kent gives us 6 losses so it goes to a tie breaker. If OU wins and we beat them, OU and Buffalo each have 7 losses, the MOST we can have is 6. Ditto Kent, they now have 7 losses. A win on Tues eliminates them. The only one left standing would be Ball State.

Maybe I am wrong but I am thinking that if we beat OU we are still one up on Ball State and at least two up on everyone else. Even if we end up tied with BSU we own the tiebreaker.

If we end up in a two way tie with either BSU or ÜB we own the tiebreaker. If we end up tied with Ohio and we split the season series with them I believe the tiebreaker would be best record against teams going from top to bottom in the standings.  Considering that we are undefeated against both the Bulls and Cardnials (and if we end in a two way tie with OU it is logical to assume that we defeated KSU) I'd think we are in pretty good shape. 

The things that scare me are finishing 0-2 or going 1-1 to create a more than two team tie, I am more confused in a three way tie scenario.

I'll sum it up with all 4 of those teams, like I did earlier.

Akron vs. Buffalo - Done.  We're two games better than them, and WE own the tiebreaker.

Akron vs. Ken+ - Ken+ would have to win their last 2 games, and we would have to lose our last 2 games. 

Akron vs. Ball State - Ball State also has to win their last 2 games, and we have to lose our last 2 games because we own the tiebreaker head-to-head. 

Akron vs. OU - OU needs to beat us, win their last game, and it would go to a 2nd tiebreaker since the head-to-head is split.

But someone was right earlier.  Because Ken+ lost tonight, We CLINCH the #1 SEED in the tourney just by winning against OU on Tuesday.  

I also think we're very fortunate this time of the year to have a WIN out of the way on a Friday.  OU just played a long overtime game on Saturday, and they have to play us on the road on a Tuesday.  That can really be huge this time of year. 

Edited by skip-zip
edit

On 2/28/2016 at 1:43 AM, skip-zip said:

I'll sum it up with all 4 of those teams, like I did earlier.

Akron vs. Buffalo - Done.  We're two games better than them, and WE own the tiebreaker.

Akron vs. Ken+ - Ken+ would have to win their last 2 games, and we would have to lose our last 2 games. 

Akron vs. Ball State - Ball State also has to win their last 2 games, and we have to lose our last 2 games because we own the tiebreaker head-to-head. 

Akron vs. OU - OU needs to beat us, win their last game, and it would go to a 2nd tiebreaker since the head-to-head is split.

But someone was right earlier.  Because Ken+ lost tonight, We CLINCH the #1 SEED in the tourney just by winning against OU on Tuesday.  

I also think we're very fortunate this time of the year to have a WIN out of the way on a Friday.  OU just played a long overtime game on Saturday, and they have to play us on the road on a Tuesday.  That can really be huge this time of year. 

Pretty close. I broke down the scenarios in the Tuesday enchilada thread ... maybe I'll hit up Casa Del Rio (good Mexican joint here in Wadsworth) and get an enchilada in anticipation for a title Tuesday afternoon.

First tiebreaker is H2H, second is division record (which Akron owns with just one more win). Third tiebreaker is record vs. ranked team (or top to bottom standings), which won't come into play.

There could be a three way tie that can hurt Akron, which I addressed.

Oops, meant to quite GJGood.

Edited by wadszip

On 2/27/2016 at 9:06 AM, zippy5 said:

It's sad if we're legitimately competing with high schools for attendance after 11 straight 20 win years of D-1 basketball.

It really isn't. High school games in this area are gonna draw regardless, especially at the bigger schools, which are usually getting 2,000 for big games, and there are gonna be at least a half dozen of those on any given Tuesday or Friday.

I'm not sure what the HS schedule is for other MAC states, but the *Tuesday-Saturday format, just to appease one (maybe two) Friday games (which due to the Zips' success, will have cost them four of their 5 slotted home Saturday games.) has hurt most of the Ohio teams, but especially Akron since we've had to bite the Tuesday-Friday bullet way more than any team.

*The Tuesday games were implemented just so about two teams a week wouldn't have to play a second game in three days ... Since the Zips will be responsible for 5 of the league's 12 or so Friday appearances, I guess that is fair, instead of staying with the Wednesday-Saturday schedulem

This probably deserves its own thread, since it is an interesting topic, but there really isn't anything the Zips can do to compete with the HS games. Your talking about community vs. community at the least. Then, your talking about an area with a ton of good teams. Hell, put OSU basketball on Tuesday-Friday and I gaurantee attendance would fall, mainly due to being in an area (Columbus) with a lot of good HS teams (who would also be playing a lot of times in rival games).

And I agree, nothing can be done about the Cavs. Whatever day, just gotta hope they aren't also at home. This year, been pretty lucky. I remember years past the Zips going H2H against the Cavs, with home games for both, 3-4 times. That's just the breaks of being in an NBA market, going against a team that sells out every game (in one of the largest venues in the NBA). And one that has the highest local TV ratings in the league, thanks mostly due to a guy from Akron, and with the Cavs playing so many years in Summit County, the team (even without LeBron) is hugely popular in the Akron area. From my experiences, the Cavs seem to still be the pro team people from Akron really have latched onto because of the Richfield days, when it was more an Akron team than a Cleveland team, despite the "Cleveland" name.