Bobcats @ Zips — March 1st at 8 pm

akronzips71

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, ace said:

http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboard/topic.asp?FromPage=1&ForumPID=1&PID=199647

You guys might enjoy a good chuckle here....

I laugh at their hypocrisy. "False superiority?" OU fans are the most delusional when it comes to this...they all seem to think that they went to some incredible elite school.

And apparently we're too "condescending and dismissive" to the rest of the league. Give me a break.

Who knew so many University of Akron experts frequented an Ohio U message board?

Yeah usual stuff from message boards (always a few on both sides - I find the ones that feel like OU is equivalent of an Ivy league education a little pompous - and I even have a building with my last name on it at OU - named after a great uncle who was president of OU in the 40's - but I digress). Someone on their board showed some stats and said they bet we'd trade out last ten years results for theirs. You know what I'm kind of thinking I would. Here is what they presented over the last 10 years  - same number of tourney titles but a lot more NCAA success. Would love just once to experience that same thing.

MAC TOURNEY TITLES
Akron - 3
Ohio - 3
Kent State - 2
Buffalo, Miami WMU - 1

MAC REGULAR SEASON EAST DIVISION TITLES
Kent - 4 (2 outright, 2 co-champs)
Akron - 4 (1 outright, 3 co-champs)
Buffalo - 3 (3 co-champs)
Miami - 1 (1 outright)
Ohio - 1 (1 co-champs)
BGSU - 1 (1 co-champs)

NCAA Tourney record
Ohio 3-2 (+1.0 avg pt diff)
Akron 0-3 (-24.0 pts)
Kent St 0-2 (-14.0)
Miami 0-1 (-2.0)
Buffalo 0-1 (-6.0)
WMU 0-1 (-24.0)

18 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Yeah usual stuff from message boards (always a few on both sides - I find the ones that feel like OU is equivalent of an Ivy league education a little pompous - and I even have a building with my last name on it at OU - named after a great uncle who was president of OU in the 40's - but I digress). Someone on their board showed some stats and said they bet we'd trade out last ten years results for theirs. You know what I'm kind of thinking I would. Here is what they presented over the last 10 years  - same number of tourney titles but a lot more NCAA success. Would love just once to experience that same thing.

MAC TOURNEY TITLES
Akron - 3
Ohio - 3
Kent State - 2
Buffalo, Miami WMU - 1

MAC REGULAR SEASON EAST DIVISION TITLES
Kent - 4 (2 outright, 2 co-champs)
Akron - 4 (1 outright, 3 co-champs)
Buffalo - 3 (3 co-champs)
Miami - 1 (1 outright)
Ohio - 1 (1 co-champs)
BGSU - 1 (1 co-champs)

NCAA Tourney record
Ohio 3-2 (+1.0 avg pt diff)
Akron 0-3 (-24.0 pts)
Kent St 0-2 (-14.0)
Miami 0-1 (-2.0)
Buffalo 0-1 (-6.0)
WMU 0-1 (-24.0)

I feel what should be taken into account is the fact Akron stayed more relevant in the years they didn't actually win the MAC tournament or regular season. In the last 10 years (not including this season) Akron has won 119 MAC games, OU 92. That's 2.7 wins more per season.

Edited by kreed5120

26 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I feel what should be taken into account is the fact Akron stayed more relevant in the years they didn't actually win the MAC tournament or regular season. In the last 10 years (not including this season) Akron has won 119 MAC games, OU 92. That's 2.7 wins more per season.

Would you trade those three wins per season for three NCAA tournament wins over ten years? I think I would.

• Like 1

Absolutely.  Ohio has the bragging rights until another team steps up and repeats what they did.  Did read a column recently on John Groce and his problems at Illinois.  The opinion-maker said that the MAC was a "putrid" conference and while Groce had success in the tourney he really didn't perform during the season.  One could say he turned 3 wins into millions of dollars...for himself.  Akron fans more than any others in the conference are waiting impatiently.  That's why those three late MAC losses really burned.  Becuase while the at large was not in the cards a lower seed was.  Thats where those losses will hurt.

But tonight...the Zips got this one.

Edited by NWAkron

37 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Would you trade those three wins per season for three NCAA tournament wins over ten years? I think I would.

I dunno man.  Those victories vs Arkansas Pine Bluff, Savannah State & Coppin State are precious memories. 

1 hour ago, MDZip said:

Would you trade those three wins per season foit three NCAA tournament wins over ten years? I think I would.

I can see the argument from either side to be honest and wouldn't despute If you give that tourney season that much weight. I just felt the 119 vs 92 win total was a relevant stat to use when comparing.

1 hour ago, MDZip said:

MAC TOURNEY TITLES
Akron - 3
Ohio - 3
Kent State - 2
Buffalo, Miami WMU - 1

Ok, what am I missing here?  I thought I knew all of these by photographic memory, since we've been in the final or semi final all of these 10 years.

07 - Miami

08 - Ken+

09 - Akron

10 - OU

11 - Akron

12 - OU

13 - Akron

14 - WMU

15 - Buffalo

16 - ?

Akron - 3

OU - 2

Ken+, WMU, Miami, and Buffalo - 1 each

4 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

8:00 weeknight tipoff isn't very appealing. Ohio has fallen off this season. There's very little buzz about this game, especially with Kent coming up in a few days. If you were going to go to one game this week, which would it be?

#ThisIsIt  #TitleNight

4 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

8:00 weeknight tipoff isn't very appealing. Ohio has fallen off this season. There's very little buzz about this game, especially with Kent coming up in a few days. If you were going to go to one game this week, which would it be?

Fallen off? After Antonio Campbell drops 30 & 10 on you tonight Ohio and Akron will be tied atop the MAC standings. 

10 hours ago, GJGood said:

Yes, not on Leap Day for us Roos but instead on Ohio's birthday... the state turns 213 today

On your birthday, Aloha and "Hauoli La Hanau", Ohio.  Now Go Zips!!!

Edited by Z.I.P.

31 minutes ago, Bubba4three said:

Fallen off? After Antonio Campbell drops 30 & 10 on you tonight Ohio and Akron will be tied atop the MAC standings. 

Getting a tie isn't good enough.  We'd own the Divisional Record tiebreaker. 

Maybe you should have taken care of business when we WON by 12 in Athens, before we lost Forsythe (he was only playing limited minutes in that game also). 

8 hours ago, ace said:

http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboard/topic.asp?FromPage=1&ForumPID=1&PID=199647

You guys might enjoy a good chuckle here....

I laugh at their hypocrisy. "False superiority?" OU fans are the most delusional when it comes to this...they all seem to think that they went to some incredible elite school.

And apparently we're too "condescending and dismissive" to the rest of the league. Give me a break.

The guy does make some pretty valid points