Bobcats @ Zips — March 1st at 8 pm

akronzips71

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

Great win, congrats fellas. Don't let up, huge statement game Friday and K-ent will be playing for a bye. 

Rpiforecast has added conference tournaments to their forecast. According to them, which I'm sure isn't exact as the bracket isn't even set, if the Zips win Friday and take Cleveland, they'll be 16th in rpi. That should...should...translate to a good seed in the Dance. Just win,  baby! 

Wow...I have a hard time believing that. 16th would be INSANE. I would realistically expect us to be somewhere low 40s-high 30s if we win out. But first things first...let's go smash the Flushes and then take the Q.

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I definitely agree, but he followed up by saying it has to do with the crowd being right on top of the action.

I'd have to agree with that also (as far as affecting the opponent).  I don't think too many arenas have the crowd that close. 

Put yourself in opponents' shoes.  Would you want to play in front of a packed JAR?

I'll make this a combination post of multiple ideas:

Tonight we proved that not only can we beat a good team without two centers, we can beat one with just half-a-center!  Isaiah had 1 point at the half, and 2 pts midway thru the second.  Now, going forward, I would hope that that trend does not continue.  Strangely, it seemed that tonight BOTH teams had little post play -- and when it comes to the perimeter, I'll take Akron's play over about anybodys!

Murray Bartow on the ESPN2 broadcast stated (kudos BTW to ASN -- the broadcast was as good or better than the REAL ESPN) that in the post-season, if Akron hoped to get very far, they would have to tighten up their 3-point defense!  I recall pretty surely that our team was ranked near the top of the nation in 3-point defense just a couple weeks ago.  So, I am less concerned than the " expert analyst".

What is the story with Kaminsky's T-shirt?  ONE sleeve?  Looked like his arm was in a sling.  #NotTrending!

3 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

I thought it was nicely officiated for the most part as well. Almost rare these days to see a MAC game with only 22 FT's. They allowed the players to determine the outcome.

They missed a bunch of travels in the early part of the game, and they wouldn't let Antino guard closely on defense the entire game.  I thought Big Dog got mauled a bit tonight, but that happens every game.

If we had lost this game, those would be noticeable.  But we didn't.  :champs:

Setty had Reggie's shirt in his hand most of the night.  A lot of "they won't shoot like that again" "we will get them at the Q" over at BobcatAttack. 

That Noon game makes sense if they are thinking about giving #1 seed some advantage with rest.  I know we had a 2:30 game with Miami a few years back that went into double overtime or something like that.

34 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Here's the NCAA Three-Pointers Made list -- not including tonight's game.  We have a chance of catching North Florida, especially the way we're playing right now.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/three-pointers-made-per-game

And that is why an at large would not be totally impossible. The basketball Gods like scoring scoring scoring, and that outside attack is awesome.

I have been waiting 3 years for Kwan to have a breakout game like tonight.  He played smart the entire game.  No moving screens, no turnovers, great defense and a rebounding machine.  It always amazes me with this team when somebody gets hurt, it seems to motivate another player to step up.  With Pat out, Kwan put on the big boy pants and had a career game.  He just seems to be playing with more confidence. 

We certainly seemed to have more energy tonight with 18 offensive boards and we had 12 more shots than Ohio.  We shot 46% from 3 land and had 18 assist.  It was a great game to be a Zips fan.  I agree that the refs let a lot of stuff go but it was nice playing without the constant whistles.  Reggie had a great first half.  He seems to thrive at the Jar.  Jimond played well and I would still like him to get more time on the court.

I think we did catch a break having a Friday game whereas Ohio had an overtime game on Sat and then had to travel to Akron.  They just didn't seem to have any energy in the second half.  I hope we can crush Kent on Friday and keep our record perfect at home.  Go Zips.!!

Congrats to the Zips on another title. No question, Akron is the class of the conference.

And unlike some Bobcat brethren, I don't see any way they take you out in Cleveland unless it's an off night for Akron. It's pretty clear who is superior.

Next year, though, should be very competitive.

5 hours ago, Bubba4three said:

Fallen off? After Antonio Campbell drops 30 & 10 on you tonight Ohio and Akron will be tied atop the MAC standings. 

:CK_brew::CK_brew::CK_brew::tomato::tomato::tomato::champs:

For all but maybe 1 year (2012-13), Dambrot's teams have always had "live by the 3, die by the 3" built into their gameplans, typically resulting in the latter. But this team is different.

- The guards on this team are quick and athletic. Very multi-dimensional with very few holes. Noah has taken a step back this year it seems (sophomore slump maybe), but is still a great guard. Antino is quick, slick, and a pain in the :nutkick:(play on words off the old AK-Rowdies Steve Swiech chant) for opposing teams; plays with A LOT of energy. Josh has a quiet swagger about him and I like it. Very smooth and can really knock down the 3 ball. 

- The team is full of shooters, so if one or two have bad nights, one or two others can pick up the slack.

- Big Dog has incredible court vision for a big man. He can really spread the ball around once it enters the paint; in the past, the paint has been somewhat of a black hole, with the ball never coming back out once it enters.

- Kwan and Reggie can really spread the floor. Both are tall and athletic enough to create mismatches while also opening up shot opportunities.

- Most importantly, from what I've noticed, the ball movement this year is the best I've ever seen under a Dambrot team. There have been times during games where I'm just in awe of the passes being made.

Teams like this Akron team, who can get hot and make 20 threes a game, are the teams that make some noise come Big Dance time. Beat Can't, win the MAC Tourney, and get the opportunity to make said noise.

Go Zips!

• Like 1

CBS Sports Network's " Inside College Basketball" was talking about Indiana winning @ Iowa to win outright Big Ten Championship.

Then, they dropped this on everyone: "Lose to Akron in a 4-13 matchup, and this Iowa win doesn't matter anymore obviously." 

Edited by mes102

6 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

And that is why an at large would not be totally impossible. The basketball Gods like scoring scoring scoring, and that outside attack is awesome.

I think the At-Large became impossible after these recent 3 losses, for sure.  And regardless of what's been posted here, I'll be surprised if our RPI can climb into that 20-something range that it would take to force the issue with the committee.

Lets face it, the name "Akron" doesn't sell tickets.  Regardless of our 3-point proficiency.  And the committee knows this.  OSWho has an RPI 30 points lower than us, and we have a much better overall record, and a much better record against the RPI Top 100.  Yet, the prognosticators think they are "On The Bubble" for an At-Large.  

Unbelievable.  We'll continue to get pushed aside until our resume gives the selection committee no reason to refuse us. 

Kreed.  I agree with you that the At-Large is 100% off the table, but for very, very different reasons. 

We can look at the quality of wins and losses all day.  I point to some data on wins in the Top 100 that looks impressive.  You point to something in the data that does not look impressive.  But the RPI score takes all of that into account, and we're #41 this morning (and could go much higher), and a team that's considered by many to be "On The Bubble" is #73.   That's completely ridiculous.  But it's the way it is. 

The only call that really pissed me off was weird. It was after a made basket or something and after getting the inbounds pass, I think it was Simmons that just knocked Antino straight to the floor. It wasn't dirty or anything but it was an obvious foul. Of course DarrylSmith aka the second worst ref in the MAC was standing right next to it and waited like 3 seconds after Antino was on the floor to blow the whistle. He must have been daydreaming or something. 

4 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

If we win out and OUr RPI is 16, we're not looking at a 12 seed

Hey Zippy.  I'd really like to see that RPI forecast.  I had previously thought that there was no way we could even get into the 20s unless we "won out", starting about 3 weeks ago.   Can you provide a link?

If we do get to #16 we'd definitely be in the Top 8 seeds in our region.  We should get a #4, technically, but we all know that would never happen.