Bobcats @ Zips — March 1st at 8 pm

akronzips71

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Hey Zippy.  I'd really like to see that RPI forecast.  I had previously thought that there was no way we could even get into the 20s unless we "won out", starting about 3 weeks ago.   Can you provide a link?

If we do get to #16 we'd definitely be in the Top 8 seeds in our region.  We should get a #4, technically, but we all know that would never happen. 

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/ct/Akron.html

I think we'd probably still get a 10 or 11

11 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/ct/Akron.html

I think we'd probably still get a 10 or 11

Wow.  I see it.  I had no idea that was even still possible.  Even if we lose one more, we're still at #28?  I didn't think anything like that was possible after the recent losses.  But, we did just make a jump to #41 this morning, so other factors might be breaking our way that can make this possible.  That would be awesome.   

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

RPI is just a metric, an imperfect one at that, the selection committee looks at. It by no means is the only deciding factor. If it was the sole determining factor, then no committee would be needed as the teams would seed themselves.

True.  It's not perfection, but it's the best we have available to take all factors into consideration and rank teams. 

Maybe we should do it without a committee involved.  The biases and motives are always going to hurt us. 

Edited by skip-zip
edit

Win out and lose in the MAC Championship and I would have to guess our RPI would be in the upper 30's to low 40's.

Win out including the MAC Championship and I'd guess our RPI would be mid to low 30's and a 12 seed at best. That's just the way things go.

31 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

If we win out and OUr RPI is 16, we're not looking at a 12 seed

I think you're crazy if we get anything higher than a 12 seed. Just not enough signature wins to justify it, one reason why OSU is getting talked about as an at-large and not us. We haven't beaten anybody!

Nice win Zips!  My wife and I as an afterthought on the way out last night went down on the floor for the net cutting.  It hit me as we took pics with the players, why not invite all the fans down to the floor. I think it would have been cool for the fans  and the players to get some high fives and face time with the guys. Just a thought!

5 minutes ago, bUAkronG said:

Win out and lose in the MAC Championship and I would have to guess our RPI would be in the upper 30's to low 40's.

Win out including the MAC Championship and I'd guess our RPI would be mid to low 30's and a 12 seed at best. That's just the way things go.

Just for S&G, I used the "rpi wizard" here and input wins over KSU, then neutral site wins over NIU and Buffalo, followed by a matchup with CMU in the Championship.

A loss puts us at a 37 RPI and a win puts us at a 29 RPI.

10 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Murray Bartow on the ESPN2 broadcast stated that in the post-season, if Akron hoped to get very far, they would have to tighten up their 3-point defense!  I recall pretty surely that our team was ranked near the top of the nation in 3-point defense just a couple weeks ago.  So, I am less concerned than the " expert analyst".

There is a difference between 3-point percentage D (in which we led the nation early on) and 3-point D which limits opponents attempts, because most 3 point attempts are not taken unless wide open.  Percentage of open 3 point shots made is more a function of the opponent's skill (like foul shooting D).  Limiting attempts is what really matters (or limiting attempts to desperation shots with 2 seconds left, but that is more a function or 2-point D).

27 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I think you're crazy if we get anything higher than a 12 seed. Just not enough signature wins to justify it, one reason why OSU is getting talked about as an at-large and not us. We haven't beaten anybody!

Signature Wins?  As in....Plural?

OSWho is 1-6 against the RPI Top 25. 

32 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

OSU has 3 wins that are better than any Akron win

11 - Kentucky

28- Iowa

58- Michigan

They are on the outside looking in still. They probably need 3 more wins between the regular season and B1G tourney to get an at-large. If they managed to do that, I'm inclined to believe 2 of those wins would be against teams with a higher RPI than OU (80). That means OSU would have 5 wins that would be better than the best Akron win. Odds are OSU doesn't win 3 more B1G games and they find themselves in the NIT.

Edited by kreed5120

28 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

They have wins over two currently ranked top 25 teams in Iowa and Kentucky. As much as you want it to be, RPI isn't the end all-be all. How many top 25 wins do the Zips have in whatever metric you want to go buy?

Edited by LZIp

Am I the only one that thinks regular season conference championships where teams play every other team in their league should mean more than a conference tournament title where teams play three to five games?

I know there may be no better way to determine who goes to the NCAA tournament than the way it is now but it just seems counterintuitive.

3 minutes ago, GJGood said:

Am I the only one that thinks regular season conference championships where teams play every other team in their league should mean more than a conference tournament title where teams play three to five games?

I know there may be no better way to determine who goes to the NCAA tournament than the way it is now but it just seems counterintuitive.

You'd like the ivy league. Tournaments are fun but the regular season should mean more.

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

RPI is just a metric, an imperfect one at that, the selection committee looks at. It by no means is the only deciding factor. If it was the sole determining factor, then no committee would be needed as the teams would seed themselves.

It used to have more weight, until the Missouri Valley Conference figured out how to game the system. That is where it became less of a factor....

6 minutes ago, GJGood said:

If we were going to award the regular season champ the trophy, I'd want a balanced 22 conference schedule where you play each team twice or a 16 game conference schedule where you play each team in your division twice and other division once. Under the 16 game format the East division champ would face the West division champ to see who the auto-bid goes to.

I agree the team that wins the regular season is more deserving than a team that got hot for 2-3 games. That being said they aren't going to due away with the current system. The conference tournament generates $$$. You take the auto-bid off the table then both attendance and tv ratings fall.

I really don't give two Can'ts what our RPI is at the end of the season. Just beat Can't Friday, win three more in Cleveland next week, and show up and be competitive against whomever we face in The Dance. I want our game to be the one everyone is switching to because we're about to move on to the Round of 32. Go Zips!

• Like 1