Mac Coach of the year opinions.......

The Hip Zip

I think that there are 3-4 guys actually deserving consideration. In many ways the deck is stacked against Keith here because the Zips are often expected to be very good so it's no surprise when they win the conference. These awards often go to the coaches who's teams overachieve despite their position in the standings. I think that a very solid case could be made for any of the top four guys but given all that happened in Buffalo, I think Nate Oats has done a tremendous job. He gets my nod.

My top four

1 Nate Oats (Buffalo)

2 James Whitford ( Ball St)

3 Keith Dambrot (Akron)

4 Mark Montgomery (NIU)

I really don't have any doubt in my mind that Dambrot is the best coach in the league. He likely won't win simply because the Zips were expected to do this well and we know that the award rarely goes to "the best" coach (I cite the year Rob Murphy inexplicably won). My money would've been on Montgomery but with the Huskies slipping lately I'll say Whitford.

19 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Gotta go with Dambrot. Everyone tells me how much the MAC has improved this season, and the Zips are the class of the league.

Make up a "Most Improved Program" award for Whitford, but give Dambrot "Coach of the Year." 

I have to agree. Dambrot is now in his 12th season at Akron and has 1 COY honor. There was some debate yesterday about which MAC program has had the best 10 year run, but when you look at a pure regular season resume, which is what these awards are based off of, Akron has been the clear #1 program. No debate about it. He likely won't win because he is a victim of his own success. Hell it took him a 19 game win streak to secure his sole COY award.

I'm a fan of an opposing team, (my wife's a Zip though) but I'd probably give it to Dambrot this year.  He won the league by two games, and while the expectations were high, he's the one who put the pieces in place for that.  I'm guessing with the second place finish Phillips is the other one in the top 2.  I'd be surprised if the #6 seed's coach got COY.  I'd have voted Dambrot, Phillips, Oats in that order.

Edit: The women's awards were announced today.  Central Michigan's Sue Guevara won COY, despite Boldon at Ohio going 16-2 and winning the league by 2 games.

Edited by Eagle66
  • Like 2

The way Ball State ended the year and Whitford still tied him? Would have been a travesty to hand COY to the #6 seed (who then ended up bowing out to an #11 seed in the first round). And who the hell cast a vote for Rob Senderoff? And Big Dog did not get any POY votes (Campbell won, Boothe was a close second - no argument) - next year Big Man :)

Edited by MDZip

Congrats to KD for COY....Well deserved:) As a parent I'm so Blessed to have KD and the rest of his coaches coaching my Big Guy Kwan. KD has a way with our young men and I thank him for all he has done with my Big Guy... Thanks Coach D:)

• Like 8