9 Toledo @ 8 EMU 

1 Akron

12 BG @ 5 KSU

4 CMU

10 WMU @ 7 NIU

2 Ohio

11 Miami @ 6 Ball St

3 Buffalo

This was the road I was hoping the Zips could avoid, while Toledo, EMU and CMU all are inconsistent, they are among the three most talented teams in the league, and all (especially Toledo and CMU) present some mismatches against us due to having some good athletic guards. 

Whatever, can't complain about the 1 seed and playing the tourney in our backyard. Plus, this draw potentially sets up a road where the Zips can knock out Kent in the semis and Ohio (or Buffalo) in the finals. That would be a satisfying road to the title.

22 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think if I was a MAC decisionmaker, I'd move the Thursday games around to have Akron and Kent playing the evening games to boost attendance.

KD indicated on the post game show that the No. 1 seed was given the early game to give them the most rest and an advantage over the rest of the field.  He stated that a couple of years ago Kent was the one seed and played the late game every night that worked to their disadvantage.

• Like 2

Toledo and CMU are the 2 teams I really wanted to avoid. Toledo has had our number (0-4 in our last four games against them) and CMU has the fire power from beyond the arc and athleticism to give us fits, as seen in our loss to them earlier in the season.

This team has grown a lot since playing both CMU and Toledo. I most definitely believe we can beat either of them (we've already beaten CMU), I just wanted the path of least resistance and these two teams match up well against Akron.

Side note...

I really hope we don't follow the trend of conference #1's getting knocked off. Belmont, North Florida, and I believe two other #1 seeds have already lost in their conference tournament. Here's to breaking that trend and getting to the Big Dance! :cheers:

6 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

KD indicated on the post game show that the No. 1 seed was given the early game to give them the most rest and an advantage over the rest of the field.  He stated that a couple of years ago Kent was the one seed and played the late game every night that worked to their disadvantage.

Aaaaaaah, that makes sense.  Thanks.

7 hours ago, lilroodude said:

Side note...

I really hope we don't follow the trend of conference #1's getting knocked off. Belmont, North Florida, and I believe two other #1 seeds have already lost in their conference tournament. Here's to breaking that trend and getting to the Big Dance! :cheers:

Wichita State, another #1 seed, just lost to UNI in the semis.

1 hour ago, The Hip Zip said:

Great run in the OVC by the 8th seeded Govs of Austin Peay. Nice story there as their coach's young granddaughter is suffering from cancer and their guys were extra motivated to play well for her.

Agreed. Not to mention "Let's Go Peay" is one of the greatest chants in sports. Will sound great on CBS/TBS/TruTV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akronzips71 said:

RPI is now 34. If Iona beats Monmouth today, that will probably bump us up a few points.

Green Bay plays Valpo tonight also. While them winning wouldn't really help as much since I don't see them sniffing the top 100, it would help to have Valpo knocked out prematurely.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, bUAkronG said:

Green Bay plays Valpo tonight also. While them winning wouldn't really help as much since I don't see them sniffing the top 100, it would help to have Valpo knocked out prematurely.

+1 this guy gets it. We should also be cheering against Chattanooga & Stony Brook tonight. Akron is probably ahead of both teams if seeding was done today, but them losing eliminates all doubt.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Balsy said:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology/_/iteration/237

Currently has as a a 13 seed playing Arizona.

You're looking at the Lunardi's February 22 bracket. Its been updated multiple times since. Below is the March 7th version, It has us facing Kentucky round 1. A lot is still going to change between now and then.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology/_/iteration/251

28 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

+1 this guy gets it. We should also be cheering against Chattanooga & Stony Brook tonight. Akron is probably ahead of both teams if seeding was done today, but them losing eliminates all doubt.

Yes if we win we should end up ahead of Chattanooga & Stony Brook. However I am seeing Monmouth and Valparaiso as an 11/12 so we could possibly slip into one of those seeds should either falter.

Tonight's MAAC title game between Monmouth and Iona could have a huge positive effect on the Zips should Iona win and the Zips make it throught Cleveland.

6 minutes ago, bUAkronG said:

Yes if we win we should end up ahead of Chattanooga & Stony Brook. However I am seeing Monmouth and Valparaiso as an 11/12 so we could possibly slip into one of those seeds should either falter.

Tonight's MAAC title game between Monmouth and Iona could have a huge positive effect on the Zips should Iona win and the Zips make it throught Cleveland.

A 12 seed looks most likely if the Zips win out. They would almost certainly need Monmouth, Valpo, and SDSU to all lose to get an 11th. They might be able to leap Ark-Little Rock as Ark-Little Rock will face at most 1 RPI top 150 team in their conference tournament, but  they are better off hoping for them to lose as well.