Tourney (MAC and NCAA) picture

wadszip

Regarding MAC tourney TV coverage.  Last year ALL of Akron's tournament games were broadcast nationally on the ESPN Extra system, which is available on Time Warner Cable and a few other cable systems.  No sure yet about tonight's early round games, since I haven't looked.  However, I've only found ONE Zips game on that format this year -- the season opener @SUCanada at Buffalo.  Compared to over 10 last year and about 15 two yrs ago.  Very strange!

Aren't the "at-large" teams generally considered 10/11 seeds? Can the selection committee justify not only giving Monmouth a bid, but seeding them that high? 

If... if...the Zips take care of business in CLE, a 12 or 11 isn't out of the question.

With there being much more parity in the NCAA this year, along with our 3pt shooting and better guard play than in the past, I feel we have as good of chance to win our first tourney game this year as ever as long as we don't get stuck with a 15 seed or something. I personally think we would possible be a 12, but most likely 13.

More importantly though, we need to get there first. It won't be a cakewalk.

I personally don't feel that Monmouth is at-large worthy, as some of their wins that looked great early in the season have turned out to be not so good (UCLA, Georgetown) and they have some pretty poor losses (Manhattan, Canisius). They remind me of Iona a few ago, who did sneak into the tournament, I believe as an 11 seed.

Either way I think that if we win out we're looking at a good chance at a 12 seed, but no lower than 13 especially if 1 seeds keep losing.

Valpo and Monmouth losing are both good things for Akron. Valpo IMO is NIT bound. Monmouth might squeeze in as a 12 seed at-large. It will be close. Even if they do make the tournament it will hurt teams like OSU who are fighting for at-large bids, not us. Green Bay is now added to the tournament, which despite beating us earlier this season, I don't see them getting seeded above us. I mentioned earlier that for Akron to get a 12 seed they need to higher ranked than 18 auto bid teams. 2 new teams in Green Bay and Iona just got added to the field that will be seeded behind Akron.

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Valpo and Monmouth losing are both good things for Akron. Valpo IMO is NIT bound. Monmouth might squeeze in as a 12 seed at-large. It will be close. Even if they do make the tournament it will hurt teams like OSU who are fighting for at-large bids, not us. Green Bay is now added to the tournament, which despite beating us earlier this season, I don't see them getting seeded above us. I mentioned earlier that for Akron to get a 12 seed they need to higher ranked than 18 auto bid teams. 2 new teams in Green Bay and Iona just got added to the field that will be seeded behind Akron.

The Green Bay/Valpo game was a Horizon semifinal. They'll face the winner of Oakland/Wright State in the Championship. Your point still stands though, all 3 would've seeded below Akron if we win in CLE. Let's just root for GB for RPI purposes. Tonight's results bumped us up to 33, btw. 

10 minutes ago, RowdyZip said:

The Green Bay/Valpo game was a Horizon semifinal. They'll face the winner of Oakland/Wright State in the Championship. Your point still stands though, all 3 would've seeded below Akron if we win in CLE. Let's just root for GB for RPI purposes. Tonight's results bumped us up to 33, btw. 

Got lost in the excitement lol. If SDSU and Ark-Little Rock both lose, I feel we have a chance of sneaking into an 11th.

Like you said we need to take care of our business. It's just nice to see so many games break our way.

31 minutes ago, Sportsjunkie330 said:

The MAC cringed tonight when thinking about attendance at the Q.

That's good news for Akron, who will have a decided home-court crowd advantage on Thursday. Even when you consider that whatever BG and CMU fans show up Thursday will be rooting for EMU, the Zips crowd alone should be bigger than EMU, CMU and BG combined.

Though, I'm guessing it's gonna be a small crowd regardless. Maybe 2,000 Zips fans and combined 1,500 for EMU, BG and CMU.

Then, if we get to Friday, the Zips will even have a bigger crowd advantage. Probably 4,000 to 1,000.

A title game vs. Ohio would save overall attendance. Could see 12,000-plus for that one, split roughly 5,000 between Akron and OU, with 2,000 general fans.

I'm not saying the Zips should get favorable calls, but with no Kent in Cleveland, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a little home-cooking. Not even OU could save what will be the worst attendence since the tourney has moved to Cleveland if both Akron and Kent are both gone before Friday, and you know Steinbrecher is secretly rooting for that Akron-OU title game, which has become this league's biggest draw.

Obviously, if the Zips show up, the refs shouldn't matter, but its one of those little things to keep in mind.

And for any other conspiracy theorists, I'd imagine that with the Valpo and Monmouth losses ending any hopes of the MAC being a two-bid league, the league may try to protect its best team.

Who knows, though, this is the MAC. Watch Big Dog get straddled with two ticky tack fouls in four minutes of the first half against EMU. That also wouldn't surprise me.

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Don't like Monmouth. The bench antics are solely for selection committee.

While I do agree that the bench antics have made them the media darling, and the resume doesn't scream at large, can't with a straight face say the Zips get in over them. The wins against ND and USC are way better than any the Zips have. Then, they have two wins (UCLA and Georgetown) that are equal to the Arkansas game. After that, the Zips resume is much better, but it doesn't matter after that. If Akron loses in the MAC final, it's 26-8. Monmouth also lost in the final and will be 27-7.

Hopefully, Monmouth does get squeezed... Wichita State and the loser of St. Mary's/Gonzaga is in. If three mid majors get at larges, Monmouth, unfortunately, has that spot.

Valpo is assurdedly NIT bound, along with schools like Akron, Little Rock or San Diego State, if any also falter.

With all that said, might as well now root for teams like Little Rock and San Diego State to lose. It only helps a MAC champ Akron's seeding.

That Monmouth loss really only hurts those aforementioned schools if a third mid major would get an at large. But I doubt Akron would've been next in line anyway. San Diego State is probably there with Akron fighting Little Rock and Valpo for mid major spots 5-7. And since nothing past three matters, it's moot.

What a sad week for Ken+ Basketball :rofl:

I'm glad we're playing EMU instead of Toledo on Thursday.  I really think this is a break that went out way. 

Our RPI just moved up to #34 this morning.  The 4 votes in the AP Poll technically puts us at #40.

Pretty good news everywhere. 

1 hour ago, bUAkronG said:

Miami did us a favor by beating BSU last night; their RPI is now 191, so at the moment we currently have 0 sub-200 losses. Looks a little better.

Miami doesn't look like your typical 11th seed. You can tell they have improved greatly since the beginning of the season. They finished the regular season by winning 3 of their last 4 games. The teams they beat were Akron, Buffalo, and Kent who were all top 5 seeds. Their lone loss was to #2 seed OU.

Edited by kreed5120