Tourney (MAC and NCAA) picture

wadszip

On 3/8/2016 at 10:47 AM, skip-zip said:

Ok, I will buy into the idea that Monmouth had the guts to go on the road and pull off some good OOC wins.  This is something that Akron needs to do more. 

But, how can anyone on here (and some of the pundits) be talking about a team with a #56 RPI (Monmouth) deserving an NCAA bid, and simultaneously be categorizing a team with a #34 RPI (Akron) in the "not a chance in hell" category?

Regardless of how someone might feel about how the committee might view Akron, I still trust that they value the ENTIRE RESUME more than anything else.  And Akron's season worth of performance has far more stature.  By a wide margin.   

You need top 50 wins if you want to get into the discussion and Akron has none. There's also the 6 100+ RPI losses. Monmouth has more good wins and less bad losses. 

3 hours ago, zippyman23 said:

You need top 50 wins if you want to get into the discussion and Akron has none. There's also the 6 100+ RPI losses. Monmouth has more good wins and less bad losses. 

Monmouth has 3 losses to teams with 200+ RPI.  Do your homework before posting. 

The below is a composite ranking from 86 bracktologists. It lists Akron as the #2 12th seed. We aren't that far behind Ark-LR for the #1 12th seed, but we are trailing SDSU by a decent amount to climb into an 11th seed position. We almost certainly need 1 big upset in either the American, Mountain West, or some crappy team coming out of nowhere to win one of the multi bid conferences. An Ark-LR loss would help, but we will still be looking like a #12 seed unless we get other help as well.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Honestly, I'm good with an 12 or better. Looks like the toughest part now is our path to a MAC tournament championship. If we did somehow get an 11, which isn't out of the question, guess who many are projecting to be a 6?

None other than Shaka Smart's Texas Longhorns... 

Assuming we make the NCAA, which still won't be easy, I just want the Zips to be a 12 seed or better since seeds 1 thru 4 they try to protect geographically. Play a 5 thru 8 seed in the first round and the crowd is likely on the side of Cinderella (i.e. Akron).

The 11 vs. 12 thing doesn't matter much to me. At that point I just want whatever the best matchup for us is in terms of style of play. If a 5 seed plays a style or has personnel that the Zips match up fairly well against then I'd rather have that 5 seed over a 6 seed that we don't match up well with as our opponent.

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Monmouth has 3 losses to teams with 200+ RPI.  Do your homework before posting. 

I never said they didn't. They have 2 good wins, we have 0. They have 3 bad losses, we have 6. If you want to know why Monmouth is in the discussion and Akron is nowhere to be found, the answer is right in front of you.

Edited by zippyman23

42 minutes ago, zippyman23 said:

I never said they didn't. They have 2 good wins, we have 0. They have 3 bad losses, we have 6. If you want to know why Monmouth is in the discussion and Akron is nowhere to be found, the answer is right in front of you.

A team with a 150 RPI is still in the top 43% of college basketball. Akron has 2 bad losses at the very most and those were to teams that are hovering around the 50% percentile of college basketball. Monmouth didn't have bad losses, they had disastrous losses. Losing to Green Bay who beat Valpo and is making the tourney isn't the same as losing to Manhattan, Army, or Cansius. GB as is NIU and KSU RPI are ~100 spots better than all 3 of those teams. CMU about 80 spots.

• Like 1

I get that Monmouth had some nice wins.  I won't include ND or Georgetown in that description.  My gut feeling is that the MAAC was just not a very good league this year and we took it to their league champ, the same team that beat Monmouth in their league championship.  As such , the Zips belong in any at large discussion as much as Monmouth.  If they lose this week, I don't think the Zips will get an at large bid, but they deserve to be in the discussion as much as Monmouth.

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

My gut feeling is that the MAAC was just not a very good league this year and we took it to their league champ, the same team that beat Monmouth in their league championship.  

Saying that the MAAC is simply just "not very good" compared to the MAC is the understatement of the year.   Monmouth's conference SOS is 239 and Akron's is 121.

Clark, you also missed that Monmouth lost to their conference champ TWICE, and one of them was a blowout loss at home.  Yes, that was the same Iona team that we beat handily in Vegas.   

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

A team with a 150 RPI is still in the top 43% of college basketball. Akron has 2 bad losses at the very most and those were to teams that are hovering around the 50% percentile of college basketball. Monmouth didn't have bad losses, they had disastrous losses. Losing to Green Bay who beat Valpo and is making the tourney isn't the same as losing to Manhattan, Army, or Cansius. GB as is NIU and KSU RPI are ~100 spots better than all 3 of those teams. CMU about 80 spots.

That sounds great, but it really only matters what the committee thinks. Spin it how you want, but at the end of the day, the committee is going to view those as 6 bad losses as they have in the past. 

30 minutes ago, zippyman23 said:

That sounds great, but it really only matters what the committee thinks. Spin it how you want, but at the end of the day, the committee is going to view those as 6 bad losses as they have in the past. 

All losses are bad in the committees eyes. Some are just worse than others. A sub 200 is worse than a top 125 loss just like a loss to the 50th ranked team is worse than a loss to the #1 team. Good luck trying to find a committee member that says otherwise.

SOS was also brought up. Monmouth's SOS is 203. Akron's is 129. Overall Akron played a much tougher schedule and came away with just as many losses.

10 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Overall Akron played a much tougher schedule and came away with just as many losses.

That's the bottom line, and the point I have been trying to make from the beginning.

But even when you start breaking things down further, including common opponent, most everything comes up in Akron's favor anyway. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

All losses are bad in the committees eyes. Some are just worse than others. A sub 200 is worse than a top 125 loss just like a loss to the 50th ranked team is worse than a loss to the #1 team. Good luck trying to find a committee member that says otherwise.

SOS was also brought up. Monmouth's SOS is 203. Akron's is 129. Overall Akron played a much tougher schedule and came away with just as many losses.

Never claimed otherwise. Neither looks good on a resume. Monmouth SOS is actually 164 compared to Akron's 123, so not as big difference. Monmouth has the two good wins, which is why there in the discussion.

12 minutes ago, zippyman23 said:

Never claimed otherwise. Neither looks good on a resume. Monmouth SOS is actually 164 compared to Akron's 123, so not as big difference. Monmouth has the two good wins, which is why there in the discussion.

It's 203.  I'm not sure what you are seeing. 

19 minutes ago, zippyman23 said:

Neither deserve an at-large and neither will get 1. We can agree on that. I got my SOS from ESPN. I'm not sure how our data sets are off. Figured it would be easy to calculate. Strange. 

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/page/4/sort/sos

I was going through Bleacher Report and saw their real-time team rankings. Akron is currently ranked one spot below Monmouth and ahead of bubble teams like OSU, George Washington, LSU (barely on the bubble), Florida, and South Carolina.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2621911-ncaa-basketball-2016-real-time-team-rankings-going-into-selection-sunday/page/29

I was looking at Warren Nolan.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2016/sos

RPIForecast has their "Live RPI" SOS at #164 as well.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-rpi.html

The official NCAA rankings had them at #173 through games played yesterday.

https://rpiarchive.ncaa.org/Stats%20Library/Games%20thru%20March%208%20-%20Nitty%20Gritty.pdf

Edited by zippyman23

13 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Another factor is that Monmouth is done. For us to be in the at large discussion, that's most likely adding another 100+ loss and dropping us further into the 30s in the RPI. There's a reason there's no Akron at-large discussion outside of this board.

We know we're not getting an at-large.  But just for reference, even another loss at any point would still have us finishing at least a couple dozen spots higher than Monmouth.  There's just not a ton of movement in your index after 30 games.  Even when we lost to Ken+ and Miami a couple of weeks ago, I think we only dropped a few spots. 

And by the way, we're up to #32 this morning.  :rock: