Toledo @ EMU 7:30 Tonight - Winner plays Zips

Dr Z

Toledo at EMU  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Game on ESPN3

Hustlebelt preview here. EMU won 91-85 at home against the Rockets late February and Raven Lee's 26 points off the bench helped them edge out a close road win in the season finale to ultimately decide which of these two would be the home team in the third matchup of the year. Toledo's a talented, versatile group with Nathan Boothe able to play down low and hit a 3-pointer and Jonathan Williams, who is third in the MAC in total scoring and averages 23 points per 40 minutes on the court. Many would peg Boothe as a First Team All-MAC center over EMU's James Thompson, despite him being one of two players in the conference to average a double-double per performance (Antonio Campbell for Ohio averages 17.5 ppg, 10.0 rpg).

Toledo takes the floor with confidence against the Zips. They know they can win, and that takes away a big advantage the Zips have against most other MAC teams, including EMU.

EMU is still a team where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Lots of good talent, but it doesn't materialize into an upper-tire MAC program when they take the floor.

The Zips can dispose of EMU with relative ease in Cleveland. Toledo would be a war.

Toledo has a secret weapon against the Zips, Nick Dials. Nick knows every play the Zips run and the Rockets have used that to their advantage. During this years game KD would call out a play # and Dials would call out the defense to stop it.

Edited by Hilltopper

On YouTube you can find a clip of a EMU/Zips game at the  Q that was quite close to say the least.  Needed a miracle 3 from McNeese.   I can't figure out Toledo, but we were a much different team when we lost to them early in the year.  In the end, if we are a team that it capable of winning in the NCAA then it shouldn't matter who we play in MAC.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Toledo has a secret weapon against the Zips, Nick Dials. Nick knows every play the Zips run and the Rockets have used that to their advantage. During this years game KD would call out a play # and Dials would call out the defense to stop it.

I can tell you too:

Play #1: Run McAdams off multiple screens for a 3.

Play #2: Throw it in to Big Dog. If no one double teams him, take it to the rack. If someone double teams, kick it out for a 3.

Play #3: If #1 and #2 don't work, find the open man and shoot a 3.

How much does an Assistant job pay at Toledo...I might be on to something here?whisper.gif

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

How much does an Assistant job pay at Toledo...I might be on to something here?whisper.gif

Can't you just hire an ex Kowalczyk player to sit next to you Thursday and do the same as Dials? Come on man, help us out. Belichick would.

Probably will be in the minority here but I'd rather go against Toledo. The reason being that I think that Eastern has more natural talent and a higher ceiling. They are certainly not a heady team but when focused and playing well, they can take down anybody in the conference. Yes, Toledo is always a tough out too.Honestly speaking, I'd rather be playing any of the other 6 teams playing tonight than either of these two.

• Like 1

We should blow them out the way we're playing, especially with rest. They didn't look that good tonight, but hell look at the rest of the league. BG could go on a run right now for all we know. 

The Roo Invades The Q on Thursday at noon. Take care of business and win this dadgum tournament. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On March 6, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Hilltopper said:

Toledo has a secret weapon against the Zips, Nick Dials. 

Not anymore, he is terminated. terminator003.gif

The University of Toledo is parting ways with men’s basketball assistant coach Nick Dials after the season, UT employment records confirm. Head coach Tod Kowalczyk signed a proof of service notice on March 9 — two days after the season’s final game — indicating he notified Dials of the termination.