Falcons vs Zips @ the Q — March 11th at 6:30

Dr Z

I don't think we played particularly well (not bad, but not great) outside of Big Dog, although I would like him to make his FTs. Need to play better to win tomorrow. Survive and advance!! See you all at the Q tomorrow!

Edited by LZIp

I just hope whoever wins shoots like they are doing in the first half tonight. So this will be the Zips 8th appearance (in ten years - wow) and we have never faced anyone other than an East squad. BGSU is the only team we haven't faced. In the last 20 years, the west has placed a team in the final only 9 out of the 40 chances.

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

It looks from their uniforms like Buffalo is rebranding as "NEW YORK". Michael Reghi has fallen in love with a new catch phrase: "raise up". I believe game time for the final tomorrow is 7:30.

Actually, the school is SUNY (State University of New York) Buffalo.

So it is not a re-brand at all. 

Tonight's game had a weird feel to it. We never could really pull away with it, but even still, it never felt like it was in doubt. They had no answer for Big Dog. I feel like I type that every game. Lots of Zip fans there, maybe the most on a Friday, at least form what I can remember. Fun atmosphere. Gonna have to do a better job on the boards tomorrow night to get to the Dance. 

• Like 1

We got killed on the boards tonight.  We have to do a better job boxing out and be more aggressive getting rebounds.   They had 14 offensive rebounds to our 4.  Last year Kwan had 2 bank shot 3 balls in the tournament.  Tonight he thought the banks were open.  They were not.

Big Dog was amazing out there.  If we win tomorrow he should get the MVP of the tournament.

KD kept indicating that he was going play 9.  He only played Jimond 3 minutes.  I was surprised because we need to keep guys fresh.  It was good that Big Dog only played 25 minutes.  Jimond is an athletic player who can rebound.  We need him off the bench. 

Buffalo looked really good in the second game and they are playing their best ball now.  We need to play much better if we are going to beat them tomorrow.  We need to shoot 40-50% from the 3 line tomorrow and play physical defense and rebound!  Go Zips! 

In his Postgame, Buffalo's coach boasted about having "A Lot of Bodies" that he can put on Big Dog. 

I believe that they are going to take him away, and we're going to have to win this game with a good outside shooting game.  And I believe we are overdue for a hot night again. 

What scares me the most about Buffalo is their ability to rebound.  Even though we won, they killed us at the JAR a few weeks ago on the boards (one of our initial games without Pat). We need to dig some of those out, and get some turnovers to negate the rebounding advantage.

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I feel the teams that have been the most successful against us are the teams that have single guarded big dog. He's so good passing out of double teams that so often times his passes lead to open 3 looks or uncontested cuts to the basket.

Yep.  If it's Buffalo's plan to rough him up, I think this game is going to be determined by how well we hit those shots. 

11 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

Actually, the school is SUNY (State University of New York) Buffalo.

So it is not a re-brand at all. 

The "SUNY" and "Buffalo" were very small on their unis whereas "New York" was prominent, as if they want to expand their brand throughout the state. Sounds familiar. We will see if they wear the same ones tonight.

3 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

The "SUNY" and "Buffalo" were very small on their unis whereas "New York" was prominent, as if they want to expand their brand throughout the state. Sounds familiar. We will see if they wear the same ones tonight.

They should.  I believe this is the second year they've been wearing "New York" on their chests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

They should.  I believe this is the second year they've been wearing "New York" on their chests.

3 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

They started this silly branding idea in 2013. From their game notes: "Entering its third year, the New York Bulls Initiative (#NYBI) continues to broaden the awareness of The State University of New York, Buffalo athletics in an effort to build America’s next big time college athletics brand...this initiative will position The State University of New York, Buffalo as the premier athletic department in the state." Anybody calling them anything but Buffalo? I believe the AD who started it has moved on to greener pastures. I guess at least they have a basketball uniform featuring the actual school colors, though.;)