Bulls vs Zips @ the Q - March 12th at 7:30

Blue & Gold

Buffalo looked really good last night and if we are going to get to the big dance we are going to have to earn it.  KD had really relied on a 7 man rotation and I wonder if we will be fresh tonight to stay with Buffalo.  We have not played our best game and we will need that tonight to win.  Last night I saw Reggie drive on his man forcing somebody to come over to the lane and Reggie hit the open man.  We need to drive on this team to create some open looks.  Big Dog has carried the Zips and we will need him to have a big game.  Kwan has been a little off on his offensive game and would love to see him hit double figures. 

Josh was a non factor last night.  If he is hurt would like to see Jimond get some more time.  He is our most athletic player and not sure why KD keeps him on the bench.  Everyone on the team needs to rebound if we are going to win this one.  Looking forward to the game tonight.  Go Zips!!

• Like 1

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty nervous about this one. The Canadians looked really good last night and they are not the best match-up for us. However, I know that the Zips will rise to the occasion and play their hearts out. The players are hungry after two straight years without MAC finals appearances. I'm expecting a real dog fight that comes down to the very end.

The Bulls don't have Noah.  They don't have Jake.  They don't have Reggie.  And they don't have Big Dog.  ( I know I left out a few).  Yeah, SUNY Canada looked good last night but Ohio was on fumes. Big Dog played only 25 minutes.  And Jimond and Aaron are fresh.  We got this one!

• Like 1

I think there are three keys to tonight's game, two of which have already been identified on this board.

1) Make your shots, specifically from beyond the arc. If there was ever a game we needed our "bombs away" style of play to be executed properly, it's this one.

2) Rebound. Rebound. Rebound. Bobcatattack talked about how Canada killed them on the boards last night.

3) Bench points. This can't be a one-person effort tonight (Big Dog has been that main person recently). Bobcatattack mentioned that their bench was outscored 25-8 (if I'm not mistaken). We have a relatively deep rotation, all things considered, but they can't just be bodies tonight. We need contributions from every player.

An Honorable Mention key to tonight's game: the crowd. Akron fans need to be LOUD. I HATE the BU-FF-AL-O chant almost as much as I hate "WE ARE (clap clap) CAN'T STATE" and "O (clap clap clap) H (clap clap clap) I (clap clap clap) O (clap clap clap)". I want to drown the Canadians out.

This Akron team can get this done. I believe in the team and in Dambrot. Canada knocked us out last year and eventully went Dancing. Let's make sure the only Dancing shoes collecting dust in the closet are their's.

LET'S GO ZIPS! BEAT CANADA, EH?!

Z-I...

Edited by lilroodude
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

1) Make your shots, specifically from beyond the arc. If there was ever a game we needed our "bombs away" style of play to be executed properly, it's this one.

2) Rebound. Rebound. Rebound. Bobcatattack talked about how Canada killed them on the boards last night.

Z-I...

These two are all you need to say.  We need a good shooting night, and need to find a way to get Boards, because our personnel vs. their personnel is a bad matchup for us in the rebounding dept. 

But I will tell you why OU couldn't rebound.  They don't have a rebounding team to begin with, and they allow Campbell to fire 3-pointers out there on the perimeter all night.  I think that's really stupid. 

........P - S

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

What I'm worried about is rebounding. We have to give Big Dog some help on the glass.  From the few times I've seen SUNY, they were pretty aggressive on the O glass. If we can negate that and shoot it to our normal standards we'll be OK.  If not, it's going to be an extremely challenging  dogfight.

All respect to our friends at Bobcat Attack, Kittens fell into that #2 seed.  And they play Simmons 40 minutes and Campbell close to the same.  Campbell was walking down the floor.  SUNY Canada isn't as depleted as when they played us a few weeks ago.  So it will be tough but the Zips got this one.

Edited by NWAkron

Predictions:

If Kwan makes the first 3-pointer he shoots he will make more than one, and Zips Win!

If Akron makes 12 or more 3-point baskets, Zips Win, going away!

If Big Dog shoots more than ten free throws tonight, and makes 75%, Zips Win!

If UB shoots below 50% or below 40% on 3-pointers, Zips Win!

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Kwan needs to show up tonight focused on defense and boards, and not force shots.  We need his length and defense, not his long range shooting in this one.

Kwan comes out bricking. Then again, so is everyone else. Looks like we're having major nerves.

Edited by ZippyRulz