Bulls vs Zips @ the Q - March 12th at 7:30

Blue & Gold

5 hours ago, lilroodude said:

Another gripe has always been the lack of athleticism/slashers. We have several of those either on the team currently (playing or redshirting) or coming in next year.

We're definitely going to be more athletic next season.  Better?  Ehhhh... that remains to be seen.  But undoubtedly more athletic.

Losing: Jake, Reggie, Pat

Gaining: Daniel Utomi, Isaiah Williams, Craig Eubanks, Tavian Dunn-Martin, Emmanuel Olojakpoke.

I'm also excited to see what The Warrior Peter Agba and Big Mike Hughes can do.

(Though I'm expecting Dunn-Martin [along with Jordan Davis] to be redshirted.)

Edited by Blue & Gold

27 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

We're definitely going to be more athletic next season.  Better?  Ehhhh... that remains to be seen.  But undoubtedly more athletic.

Losing: Jake, Reggie, Pat

Gaining: Daniel Utomi, Isaiah Williams, Craig Eubanks, Tavian Dunn-Martin, Emmanuel Olojakpoke.

I'm also excited to see what The Warrior Peter Agba and Big Mike Hughes can do.

(Though I'm expecting Dunn-Martin [along with Jordan Davis] to be redshirted.)

Pat was a non factor this season. As much as I will miss Jake and Reggie, they were really one dimensional players. Josh Williams is going to be a really special player. Bring two other great guards back, a potential MAC POY. As long as a few new guys are able to provide quality minutes we most certainly should be better next season.

Sucks to get your heart broken in the MAC finals again...by a 3-pointer, about exactly 3 steps in front of where Penno released his.

Buffalo's a really good team. Great size in the post and on the perimeter. I can't imagine how dominant they'd have been had the kept Hurley and not lost two starters before the season opened. Their fan section was surprisingly sparse...they used to travel in pretty impressive numbers to The Q.

The Corner Alley was the best place to host the Zips in a while. Good food, and plenty of space. Good beer selection.

Antino was THE man. I don't care if he made a late-game miscue with the foul that erased the shot clock...the kid played an stone-cold awesome game. I look forward to that same bad-ass effort in Columbus Tuesday night.

Big Dog, Reggie and Jake were warriors. The left it all on the court. Couldn't be prouder of their effort. Josh, Aaron and Jimmond gave some great bench minutes.

Buffalo having 1 foul at the 3 minute mark of the 2nd half was pretty amazing. But ESPN has a bunch of games lined-up, and they don't want any early games running long.

While not making the NCAA tourney sucks, I hope these guys realize they have an opportunity in front of them that only happens once every 25-or-so years: the chance to whip Ohio State's ass. This is a win that everyone in ZipsNation would savor for a lifetime.

Dayton whooped 'em...now it's our turn.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Sucks to get your heart broken in the MAC finals again...by a 3-pointer, about exactly 3 steps in front of where Penno released his.

Buffalo's a really good team. Great size in the post and on the perimeter. I can't imaging how dominant they'd have been had the kept Hurley and not lost two starters before the season opened. Their fan section was surprisingly sparse...they used to travel in pretty impressive numbers to The Q.

Antino was THE man. I don't care if he made a late-game miscue with the foul that erased the shot clock...the kid played an stone-cold awesome game. I look forward to that same bad-ass effort in Columbus Tuesday night.

Big Dog, Reggie and Jake were warriors. The left it all on the court. Couldn't be prouder of their effort. Josh, Aaron and Jimmond gave some great bench minutes.

Buffalo having 1 foul at the 3 minute mark of the 2nd half was pretty amazing. But ESPN has a bunch of games lined-up, and they don't want any early games running long.

While not making the NCAA tourney sucks, I hope these guys realize they have an opportunity in front of them that only happens once every 25-or-so years: the chance to whip Ohio State's ass. This is a win that everyone in ZipsNation would savor for a lifetime.

Dayton whooped 'em...now it's our turn.

I agree that we played hard and gave it everything we had but I do not believe we had a good game.  We were bad at boxing out and let Buffalo have to many offensive rebounds.  We were unable to penetrate and forced to shoot jump shots off the dribble instead of off the pass.  Noah had 2 points in 37 minutes and went 0 for 4 from 3 point land.  Kwan went 2 for 10.  We had the lead with 2 minutes to go and then gave the ball up on a crucial turnover, gave up an offensive rebound and committed a dumb foul that meant we would not have a chance to tie the game.  In the tournament game we need to play our best game and it simply did not happen.  We need to play better if we are going to win in Columbus.  Go Zips! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I agree that we played hard and gave it everything we had but I do not believe we had a good game.  We were bad at boxing out and let Buffalo have to many offensive rebounds.  We were unable to penetrate and forced to shoot jump shots off the dribble instead of off the pass.  Noah had 2 points in 37 minutes and went 0 for 4 from 3 point land.  Kwan went 2 for 10.  We had the lead with 2 minutes to go and then gave the ball up on a crucial turnover, gave up an offensive rebound and committed a dumb foul that meant we would not have a chance to tie the game.  In the tournament game we need to play our best game and it simply did not happen.  We need to play better if we are going to win in Columbus.  Go Zips! 

This year's Zips team is not "The Team." 

With a healthy Pat, playing like he did in 2014-15, and a healthy Aaron Jackson, it could have been something special. But in the end, this edition of Zips basketball gave 5-star effort, with 4-star talent (MAC scale). That wasn't enough to beat Buffalo on Saturday.

I can't knock Noah's game. He played 37 minutes on a surgically reconstructed knee, on the 3rd night of 3-in-a-row, against talented guards that were tall and strong. 

Kwan had a terrible game. He forced his offense, and sulked when things didn't go his way. There's nothing more frustrating than watching mistakes get compounded by someone hanging their head after a bad pass, rather than hustling back and making a defensive play. I think Kwan needs to work on his mental approach more than his physical approach for next season. He takes himself out of games. And, I think KD needs to do a better job of recognizing when he's checked out. 

If you were an impartial observer at a bar watching UA/UB, you'd have said "Man, that was a great college basketball game." It was...we just lost it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

With a healthy Pat, playing like he did in 2014-15, and a healthy Aaron Jackson, it could have been something special. But in the end, this edition of Zips basketball gave 5-star effort, with 4-star talent (MAC scale). That wasn't enough to beat Buffalo on Saturday.

I can't knock Noah's game. He played 37 minutes on a surgically reconstructed knee, on the 3rd night of 3-in-a-row, against talented guards that were tall and strong. 

Kwan had a terrible game. He forced his offense, and sulked when things didn't go his way. There's nothing more frustrating than watching mistakes get compounded by someone hanging their head after a bad pass, rather than hustling back and making a defensive play. I think Kwan needs to work on his mental approach more than his physical approach for next season. He takes himself out of games. And, I think KD needs to do a better job of recognizing when he's checked out. 

If you were an impartial observer at a bar watching UA/UB, you'd have said "Man, that was a great college basketball game." It was...we just lost it.

Good assessment. The loss of Pat is what really hurt us in the tournament. We are essentially down to a 7 man rotation so we have to live with what that entails. Aaron and Jake are both playing with pure guts due to injuries. That means relying on Kwan to keep his head up and play through the mistakes. There is nobody on the roster to replace his minutes.

4 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

This was "the team" we had the last part of the season and "the team" that blew out Bowling Green, Ohio and Kent for the last 3 games.  Watch the first 5 minutes of the second half and still tell me this was a great college game.  The last 5 minutes were almost as bad when we kept turning the ball over.  We did not play well and I will even quote our assistant coach, the better team did not win.  Our guards could not penetrate and we had only one layup by Noah the entire game.  We shot only 2 foul shots the entire game and that was in the first minute.  I think KD would admit he should have started Big Dog in the second half.  My only point is we should not complain about missing the big dance or even our seeding in the NIT since we made our own destiny.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

This was "the team" we had the last part of the season and "the team" that blew out Bowling Green, Ohio and Kent for the last 3 games.  Watch the first 5 minutes of the second half and still tell me this was a great college game.  The last 5 minutes were almost as bad when we kept turning the ball over.  We did not play well and I will even quote our assistant coach, the better team did not win.  Our guards could not penetrate and we had only one layup by Noah the entire game.  We shot only 2 foul shots the entire game and that was in the first minute.  I think KD would admit he should have started Big Dog in the second half.  My only point is we should not complain about missing the big dance or even our seeding in the NIT since we made our own destiny.

I don't know that blowing out 3 mediocre teams on your home floor qualifies you as "The Team." "The Team," in my mind, is Huffman, Shaw, Gates, Mitchell + a solid supporting cast. That's really the last MAC program that had a legit gripe if they were overlooked by the NCAA. If healthy, I think we could have won an NCAA game or 2.

I agree 100% that the staff's "6th Man" idea backfired big time. We dug ourselves massive holes to begin each half, then spent the remainder of the time clawing back. Give me a dead-tired Big Dog over a sulking Kwan any day of the week. If asked, I'd guess that assistant coach would say the same thing.

The Zips at the end of the season were a very good MAC team. So was Buffalo. They made a shot, and we didn't. I thought it was a great, compelling championship basketball game. A heartbreaker for me, but I got my money's worth.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

...since we made our own destiny.

If the destiny is to beat Columbus and host Florida at the JAR next week, I'm diggin the "destiny." I'll bet a LOT of area fans will be too.

Opportunity is knockin LOUD! are-you-there-smiley-emoticon.gif

On March 12, 2016 at 7:27 AM, a-zip said:

I sure hope you are joking.  What happened to Marty Shottenheimer???  He was a lot more successful than the Browns were after he left!!  You people make me want to puke.  NE OHIO DOOM AND GLOOM.....that is what happens to all of your sports teams....you drag them down.

Hey!!!! How'd we do against OSU?? Can you tell me???

It just goes to show, it's tough to beat the same team 3 times in one season :tomato:

I have to give credit to New York Buffalo, they represented the MAC well against #3 seed The U Miami and did not get smoked like I thought they would. They will be tough to beat next year.