Selection Sunday and the Zips

GJGood

Wanted to create a separate thread for this topic.

OK, what is everyone realistically hoping for and realistically expecting from the committees today as far as the Zips are concerned?

My wish list:

1. The NCAA committee absolutely stuns the media 'experts and let's Akron in, likely sending the Zips to Dayton.

2. The NCAA committee surprises the media experts and lists the Zips as one of their "first four out" thus making Akron an automatic 1 seed in the NIT. This would also grantee home games all the way to the Final Four in MSG.

3. The NIT committee gives Akron a top 4 seed in one of their quadrants of the bracket thus meaning Akron plays at home in the first round. This seems to be where Steve French and Joe Dunn thought the Zips would end up per their thoughts in the post game last night.

My expectation:

The NIT committee continues to be a joke and puts Akron as a 5 seed or maybe even a 6 seed thus making them a road team in the first round and likely not getting any home games even if they 'upset' their first round opponent.  Knowing how the good oil' boys at the NIT typically treat schools like Akron I feel that even though the Zips clearly deserve a home game that they won't get one. Hopefully I am wrong.

The thing about the Zips sneaking into the NCAA's is that in order to go to Dayton the Zips would have to be an 11 seed. I just don't see any way that we could be picked out of nowhere for such a high seed. One can hope, though. 

Realistically I'm with you in hoping for a top 4 seed in one of the NIT regions. I think we could be as high as a 3 seed ranking-wise. 

3 minutes ago, bUAkronG said:

The thing about the Zips sneaking into the NCAA's is that in order to go to Dayton the Zips would have to be an 11 seed. I just don't see any way that we could be picked out of nowhere for such a high seed. One can hope, though. 

Realistically I'm with you in hoping for a top 4 seed in one of the NIT regions. I think we could be as high as a 3 seed ranking-wise. 

I'm pretty sure the First Four also includes a 12-12 matchup

6 minutes ago, bUAkronG said:

Listen.  First of all, I'd say we have less than a 10% chance of getting the At Large today.  It's almost hopeless.

But, that doesn't change the fact that it SHOULD happen.  Why is it such a stretch for some people to expect that the #36 team in the country shouldn't be placed in the NCAA tournament in spots #41 thru #44???? (The 11 Seeds). 

Edited by skip-zip

11 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Listen.  First of all, I'd say we have less than a 10% chance of getting the At Large today.  It's almost hopeless.

But, that doesn't change the fact that it SHOULD happen.  Why is it such a stretch for some people to expect that the #36 team in the country shouldn't be placed in the NCAA tournament in spots #41 thru #44???? (The 11 Seeds). 

I agree completely but it is not based on fairness.

What frustrates me is when people say that you have a great RPI but you don't have any quality or marquee wins. I thought RPI was supposed to be a measure that took your strength of schedule into account. Saying you have a good RPI but weak SOS actually means you had to do MORE to get that RPI to that respectable level.

Just for reference, the only time in the last 8 years the MAC has hosted an NIT game was Kent in 2010 as a 4 seed hosting 5th seeded Tulsa. Akron was a 5 seed in 2012 at Northwestern, and every other time the MAC has been a 6 seed or worse. The last 3 years the MAC has been a 6 seed.

3 minutes ago, ace said:

Please just stop

what!  you all are saying its great to get to the MAC tourney final year in/year out!  now you guys are pissed if they are a #6 team in the NIT????  we're great in the MAC tourney, blah, blah, blah!!!   I hope the zips win the NIT but that is icing on the cake!   right not its a crap cake...but it could be better if they make a run.   I just don't get you all being satisfied consistantly getting in the MAC final...but bitching about your NIT seeding!!!!   

I am happy that they instituted the auto NIT bid for regular season conference champions. I am also happy that they took some power away from the NIT committee last year by making the NCAA selectors list their first four out and having them automatically be 1 seeds in the NIT.

I think the NCAA selectors are certainly unfairly skewed toward the big name schools and conferences but I also feel that it is still much better than the total bias the NIT has shown in the past, at least against Akron and the MAC. They may not be anti-mid-major overall but certainly seem to be anti-MAC for some reason. Maybe given the MAC's improved numbers thi year it will be different. I just have to see it before I'll believe it.

4 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I am happy that they instituted the auto NIT bid for regular season conference champions. I am also happy that they took some power away from the NIT committee last year by making the NCAA selectors list their first four out and having them automatically be 1 seeds in the NIT.

I think the NCAA selectors are certainly unfairly skewed toward the big name schools and conferences but I also feel that it is still much better than the total bias the NIT has shown in the past, at least against Akron and the MAC. They may not be anti-mid-major overall but certainly seem to be anti-MAC for some reason. Maybe given the MAC's improved numbers thi year it will be different. I just have to see it before I'll believe it.

great post!!  you're spot on!!  i would like to see how the MVC and Mountain West is perceived with seedings and home games as such with regards to the NIT

17 minutes ago, bUAkronG said:

Just for reference, the only time in the last 8 years the MAC has hosted an NIT game was Kent in 2010 as a 4 seed hosting 5th seeded Tulsa. Akron was a 5 seed in 2012 at Northwestern, and every other time the MAC has been a 6 seed or worse. The last 3 years the MAC has been a 6 seed.

I don't know the stats. How many of those teams had 26 wins and RPIs in the 30s? How does 2016 Akron compare to the 2010 arch rival team?

17 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I am also happy that they took some power away from the NIT committee last year by making the NCAA selectors list their first four out and having them automatically be 1 seeds in the NIT.

This is interesting, because it's possible that we could be in this group of 4. 

But, I GUARANTEE you that even though the NIT historically creates close geographic matchups, they will NOT send the Suckeyes to Akron.  Not a chance in Hell.  They will give them a top 4 seed in their region, and send them some other team that's relatively close in proximity to make sure they get a winnable home game. 

As long as people strive to make rules that are intended to make things right, there will always be ways around them. 

I'm sure there was no 2nd thought about sending us to OSWho in 1989.

Edited by skip-zip

I laugh at the NCAA and people who think it's a great organization. It is the most corrupt organization in sports. They have taken an excellent foundation for young-adult success (college), and turned it into a money-hungry corruption base that uses the athletic programs for their own financial gain. I know a lot of people hate Scarborough, but I do think he has one thing correct: colleges will disappear due to a flooded market and poor economy.

Anyways, aside from my little rant, I've watched some SportsCenter (I try not to watch ESPN much anymore) recently to see what they are saying about the Tourney. Apparently on Friday, the NCAA Selection Committee already had 33 At-Large teams picked? I understand there are some teams out there, like Indiana, who are shoe-ins despite losing in their tournament, but how do you have 33 out of 36 At-Large teams already picked? Something about that screams P5 bias for financial gain.

I will say this. We have experienced enough sustained success over the last 10-11 seasons to get some national respect. This is exemplified by more nationally televised games, invites to pre-season tournaments (NIT Tip-Off), etc. Couple the consistent success with the LeBron connection, and you have a pretty marketable team. I think that might bode well for us with either the NCAA Selection Committee (outside shot at an At-Large bid for a Play-In game in Dayton) or the NIT committee (maybe a home game?). I'm not very optimistic because I hate the NCAA, but I've seen crazier things.

Whatever happens, Go Zips!

1 hour ago, lilroodude said:

Anyways, aside from my little rant, I've watched some SportsCenter (I try not to watch ESPN much anymore) recently to see what they are saying about the Tourney. Apparently on Friday, the NCAA Selection Committee already had 33 At-Large teams picked? I understand there are some teams out there, like Indiana, who are shoe-ins despite losing in their tournament, but how do you have 33 out of 36 At-Large teams already picked? Something about that screams P5 bias for financial gain.

The season is over four months long. The final two days doesn't drastically change things.