Selection Sunday and the Zips

GJGood

53 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I am Columbus born and raised and work within the city limits now. I am not looking forward to hearing the garbage I will hear at work the next two days. I never trash talk but man, oh man, can the fans down here do it.

Probably the top reason I hate the Buckeyes so much. I've watched how totally classless so many of them are to any other team's fans. It's sickening. I'm so glad that Thad hasn't worked out for them. 

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

I wish you luck.  I've only been down there a few times over the years for Akron football, and I have sworn that I would never go down there and deal with those a-holes again. 

It's fun to go down there for a soccer game (except when we should be hosting). They know we're the better team, and they hate it. 

Edited by Zip_ME87

To be honest, these developments may work out very well for our Zips.  We probably lose by double digits in the NCAAs.  Instead, we can potentially nab a nationally televised win against a crappy (and probably unmotivated) BigTen team in their own house.  AND the possibility of a meaningful home game after that to watch!  What is not to like about this scenario?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

Some people might claim it to be FIFA..... But I get your drift

Only reason I think the NCAA is more corrupt than FIFA is because of their ultimate purpose. The NCAA is supposed to provide a platform for STUDENT-athletes to grow as young adults; the main goal is NOT to make money. FIFA's goal is to make money.

I think this is the best opportunity the Zips could have gotten considering we lost the MAC championship.  GO ZIPS!  I'm more excited about this match-up than I am about any NCAA match-up.  Beat them by 1, beat them by 100...I don't care.  Just win the dadgum game!

7 hours ago, lilroodude said:

The NCAA is supposed to provide a platform for STUDENT-athletes to grow as young adults; the main goal is NOT to make money.

We also have a body here that has the ability to create rules and foster fairness in athletic competition.  But greed has caused it to morph into something much different. 

8 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

It's fun to go down there for a soccer game (except when we should be hosting). 

That is how I feel about this basketball game. Great opportunity opponent-wise but no way OSU should be hosting with an RPI in the 70s and ours 25-35 places better. I do love the fact that a win means either Florida or the nation's most 3-pointer making team, North Florida, coming to the JAR but it would have meant the same thing if we were the 3 and hosting Tuesday night.

We'll just see what we can do in this rigged system. Its just frustrating sometimes. Living and working where I do I think I am too close to the issues with this particular game.

28 minutes ago, GJGood said:

That is how I feel about this basketball game. Great opportunity opponent-wise but no way OSU should be hosting with an RPI in the 70s and ours 25-35 places better. I do love the fact that a win means either Florida or the nation's most 3-pointer making team, North Florida, coming to the JAR but it would have meant the same thing if we were the 3 and hosting Tuesday night.

We'll just see what we can do in this rigged system. Its just frustrating sometimes. Living and working where I do I think I am too close to the issues with this particular game.

I agree we should be hosting and that the system is rigged. The selection criteria changes every year, but the makeup of the committee is always skewed to the power conferences. NCAA in some ways is worse than FIFA. I don't recall if it was stated on this board or elsewhere, but the NCAA is supposed to look out for the student athletes. March Madness is all about money. I understand that the Zips resume lacks because we've never done anything in the NCAA Tourney, and we got crushed the last time we were there. That game was over 10 minutes in and wasn't interesting. But, that does not excuse the improper seeding in the NIT.

Also, I feel for you. It's bad enough being anywhere in Ohio with all the blOSU honks, but I'm sure it's magnified in the heart of Suckeye land. Of course, the local news here jumps right on the Suckeye bandwagon with 'well this game does nothing for Ohio State yada yada yada..." Why the H*ll don't they all move to Columbus? How many of them actually attended blOSU?

2 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Their floor is being re-done

2 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Their floor is being re-done

I saw in an article that Florida would play their next game "in a location to be determined". I don't know if it would be held at the JAR.

13 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

I saw in an article that Florida would play their next game "in a location to be determined". I don't know if it would be held at the JAR.

Various reporters on Twitter are claiming that the Zips would host the second round. I haven't seen anything official though.

12 hours ago, Kangaroo Craig said:

They purposely schedule the NIT so that the bigger school hosts. Their intent is to get rid off all of the smaller schools so that they can get better TV ratings and large crowds for the final four in Madison Square Garden. Its a rigged game. Non-BCS level FBS schools along with mid major basketball schools should just quit the NCAA altogether and start a new sanctioning body. We can have our own championships and tell the big boys to screw themselves.

Valpo, Monmouth, and St Bona are all 1 seeds.

St. Marys, San Diego St, and BYU are all 2 seeds.

That's 6 of 8 on the top two lines from non-P5 schools. 

2 minutes ago, zippyman23 said:

The 1 seeds are not issued by the NIT committee, they are contractually obligated to take the first four out designated by the NCAA committee. The two seeds you list are not P5 schools but they aren't far off.

36 minutes ago, zippyman23 said:

And they should all be in the NCAA tourney ahead of some less deserving P5 schools. Akron should be in there too. It's a joke.

13 hours ago, UAZippers said:

Mid-Majors already have their own tournament. It is called the CIT and nobody actually wants to be in it. Most mid-majors are more than happy to have a chance to go to OSU with the small chance for the W. We Akron fans are just spoiled by a great team that sadly is not recognized nationally as being great.

I'm not advocating for a mid major tournament, but rather a new sanctioning body as an alternative to the NCAA. The NCAA is corrupt.

1 hour ago, UAZippers said:

Various reporters on Twitter are claiming that the Zips would host the second round. I haven't seen anything official though.

I wouldn't be surprised if this game gets moved to Northwestern...or the moon...but I don't expect it to be at the JAR.

First things first, we have to beat OSWho. This is the opportunity we've been wanting. We need to play aggressive, but smart basketball and with the hustle and determination of having a big chip on our shoulder. If we go in feeling sorry for ourselves, the game is over before it starts.

I love KD. I think he is the best coach for our program and future. However, he seriously lacks in motivating the players and fans for a game like this. Yes, it's not the ultimate goal of the NCAA's, but there are a ton of good teams available here for the taking that would not otherwise be on our OOC schedule. Take advantage of it! Prove that we are the better/best program left out of the NCAA and tell them after the fact that they made a mistake. There is no excuse for this pre-emptive woe-is-me stuff.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this game gets moved to Northwestern...or the moon...but I don't expect it to be at the JAR.

First things first, we have to beat OSWho. This is the opportunity we've been wanting. We need to play aggressive, but smart basketball and with the hustle and determination of having a big chip on our shoulder. If we go in feeling sorry for ourselves, the game is over before it starts.

I love KD. I think he is the best coach for our program and future. However, he seriously lacks in motivating the players and fans for a game like this. Yes, it's not the ultimate goal of the NCAA's, but there are a ton of good teams available here for the taking that would not otherwise be on our OOC schedule. Take advantage of it! Prove that we are the better/best program left out of the NCAA and tell them after the fact that they made a mistake. There is no excuse for this pre-emptive woe-is-me stuff.

I agree.  I know Kd is just backing his team but if we could not beat Buffalo in a virtual home game there is no room to complain about being left out of the NCAA tournament. 

30 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I agree.  I know Kd is just backing his team but if we could not beat Buffalo in a virtual home game there is no room to complain about being left out of the NCAA tournament. 

Or a terrible Miami team on the road in a game we needed at the end of the season. To me, the losses to Miami and UW-Green Bay justify our being left out. We have to come ready to play and win regardless of when, where, and who. KD doesn't get this because he constantly emphasizes that the only thing that matters is the MACC. If that's the case and it doesn't mean anything, why take any pride in our 21 win season streak?

What is shocking to me is that we weren't even in the bubble discussion given the other 20+ teams that were. We were a long-shot bubble team, but definitely deserving of the associated notoriety and national exposure.

There is no way Syracuse, Michigan, or Vanderbilt should be in though. 7 Pac-12 teams is ridiculous too. Those slots were clearly pried from the fingers of deserving mid-majors.

Edited by UAZipster0305