Selection Sunday and the Zips

GJGood

16 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

Or a terrible Miami team on the road in a game we needed at the end of the season. To me, the losses to Miami and UW-Green Bay justify our being left out. We have to come ready to play and win regardless of when, where, and who. KD doesn't get this because he constantly emphasizes that the only thing that matters is the MACC. If that's the case and it doesn't mean anything, why take any pride in our 21 win season streak?

What is shocking to me is that we weren't even in the bubble discussion given the other 20+ teams that were. We were a long-shot bubble team, but definitely deserve the notoriety and exposure that comes with that.

There is no way Syracuse, Michigan, or Vanderbilt should be in though. 7 Pac-12 teams is ridiculous too. Those slots were clearly pried from the fingers of deserving mid-majors.

I felt like the NIU and Miami games were the ones that sealed our fate.  But Green Bay couldn't have helped either.  At least we would have been able to show that we conquered every non-league opponent except Villanova, which would have looked pretty good. 

The only thing we really got out of all of this was some mentions in articles about being "in the hunt" for a possible At-Large.  I would have loved it if we were mentioned on the selection show, and was pretty shocked that we were not on that big board of teams that were possibilities.

Like always, we need to do the work ourselves.  Keep winning as many basketball games as possible, try to get better quality wins, try to avoid any bad losses (which sealed Monmouth's fate), and keep trying to give ourselves as much hype as possible. 

Edited by skip-zip

14 hours ago, GJGood said:

Another first round loss is now likely.. Not directly because of the opponent but because of how the game will play out and the location. We know how the officiating will go in that place. Most importantly, though, we shoot a ton of threes but are not used to doing it in large cavernous arenas like the one this game will be played in. You can't just get acclimated to the depth perception issue that creates overnight.

https://youtu.be/9Cdc13CU9Fc?t=33s

6 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I felt like the NIU and Miami games were the ones that sealed our fate.  But Green Bay couldn't have helped either.  At least we would have been able to show that we conquered every non-league opponent except Villanova, which would have looked pretty good. 

The only thing we really got out of all of this was some mentions in articles about being "in the hunt" for a possible At-Large.  I would have loved it if we were mentioned on the selection show, and was pretty shocked that we were not on that big board of teams that were possibilities.

Like always, we need to do the work ourselves.  Keep winning as many basketball games as possible, try to get better quality wins, try to avoid any bad losses, and keep trying to give ourselves as much hype as possible. 

I intentionally left out the NIU game. On the road in the MAC, the refs will cost us a game or two every year. That's what happened at NIU. All the more reason to assert ourselves in games that are there for the taking like Miami and UW-GB.

KD needs to play a couple games on the road against some of the best teams in the country every year. That's the only way our players will see what the ceiling is like for speed, size, and skill. It prepares us better for the conference and there is no risk to playing them. If we win, it is marquee; otherwise, it boosts our SOS and displaces a more moderate opponent that would trash our NCAAT resume. And what recruit wouldn't want the opportunity to go up against the best-of-the-best every year?...especially a highly talented recruit who is shunned by the major programs because of something uncontrollable like a couple inches of height? Give me that kid with heart and a chip on his shoulder any day of the week. That's the guy who gets us through games in Sweater Town unscathed.

No excuses tomorrow.  We win and we justify our belief that we were screwed over.  We lose and we've given the tourney committee just what they want.  This reminds me a lot of the Buffalo match up, a game we can win by playing up to our abilities, but a match up against a team that will have a size advantage and probably a step up in athletic gifts.   Hit the three's and BOX THE HELL OUT ON DEFENSE and we can take them!

Edited by smacktalkinZip

25 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

KD needs to play a couple games on the road against some of the best teams in the country every year. That's the only way our players will see what the ceiling is like for speed, size, and skill. It prepares us better for the conference and there is no risk to playing them. If we win, it is marquee; otherwise, it boosts our SOS and displaces a more moderate opponent that would trash our NCAAT resume. And what recruit wouldn't want the opportunity to go up against the best-of-the-best every year?...especially a highly talented recruit who is shunned by the major programs because of something uncontrollable like a couple inches of height? Give me that kid with heart and a chip on his shoulder any day of the week. That's the guy who gets us through games in Sweater Town unscathed.

I hear an echo of my own voice here.  I've been touting this for years, including on this board. 

But you are missing one key part.  You still have to WIN some of these top tier games.  I don't think you can just play them.  So, I would advocate for more than just a couple of Top 50 road games each year to give us more opportunities to do that. 

Other than that, I think your statement is Spot On !!!

Edited by skip-zip

1 hour ago, UAZipster0305 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this game gets moved to Northwestern...or the moon...but I don't expect it to be at the JAR.

First things first, we have to beat OSWho. This is the opportunity we've been wanting. We need to play aggressive, but smart basketball and with the hustle and determination of having a big chip on our shoulder. If we go in feeling sorry for ourselves, the game is over before it starts.

I love KD. I think he is the best coach for our program and future. However, he seriously lacks in motivating the players and fans for a game like this. Yes, it's not the ultimate goal of the NCAA's, but there are a ton of good teams available here for the taking that would not otherwise be on our OOC schedule. Take advantage of it! Prove that we are the better/best program left out of the NCAA and tell them after the fact that they made a mistake. There is no excuse for this pre-emptive woe-is-me stuff.

I really think a second round game would be at the JAR. Florida is playing their first round game at North Florida. A couple years ago Rupp Arena was not available and Kentucky played at Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT. Robert Morris actually won that game and the atmosphere, even just watching on TV, was electric.

I am not sure Florida survives the three point ambush that the Ospreys may have in store for them in the first round though.

2 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I hear a echo of my own voice here.  I've been touting this for years, including on this board. 

But you are missing one key part.  You still have to WIN some of these top tier games.  I don't think you can just play them.  So, I would advocate for more than just a couple of Top 50 road games each year to give us more opportunities to do that. 

Other than that, I think your statement is Spot On !!!

If we play enough of them, eventually we win one or two. They become routine and then our guys don't have nerves. The team is on or we get a few guys who are hot in a particular game or the other team is way down, and there it is. Then it builds momentum for the program...post-season prospects resume, recruiting, exposure, etc. The first step is scheduling though, and that's all on KD.

Given the economics of the Athletic Department and UA as a whole, the administration should be forcing KD to take a small handful of big pay day games just like football has to do at least once every season.

8 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I really think a second round game would be at the JAR. Florida is playing their first round game at North Florida. A couple years ago Rupp Arena was not available and Kentucky played at Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT. Robert Morris actually won that game and the atmosphere, even just watching on TV, was electric.

I am not sure Florida survives the three point ambush that the Ospreys may have in store for them in the first round though.

I hope so, but personal history is not in our favor.

Give me UF. When else would we get UF on our own floor?! We already play enough directional schools that Joe Akron has no interest in even if North Florida is having an especially good season and may be the better team.

Sign me up for wins over OSWho and UF any day of the week.

4 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

If we play enough of them, eventually we win one or two. They become routine and then our guys don't have nerves. The team is on or we get a few guys who are hot in a particular game or the other team is way down, and there it is. Then it builds momentum for the program...post-season prospects resume, recruiting, exposure, etc. The first step is scheduling though, and that's all on KD.

Given the economics of the Athletic Department and UA as a whole, the administration should be forcing KD to take a small handful of big pay day games just like football has to do at least once every season.

Agreed. 30 games in a year.  10% of games should be higher perceived teams to both get exposure and payday.  The rest of OOC can be against what we are accustomed.

9 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

I hope so, but personal history is not in our favor.

Give me UF. When else would we get UF on our own floor?! We already play enough directional schools that Joe Akron has no interest in even if North Florida is having an especially good season and may be the better team.

Sign me up for wins over OSWho and UF any day of the week.

I totally agree. I just think N. Fla sees their opportunity just like we do with OSU and then on top of that they got the game at home despite the seeding. Both games should be entertaining even though I think the Zips got shafted on their seeding.

It certainly looks like that instead of seeding teams and then determining matchups from the seeds that they determined matchups and then threw seeds on the teams to validate the matchups. Still, we have a chance to prove the seedings wrong. Unfortunately, I guess we can't expect anything more than that.

14 minutes ago, smacktalkinZip said:

Agreed. 30 games in a year.  10% of games should be higher perceived teams to both get exposure and payday.  The rest of OOC can be against what we are accustomed.

...and most importantly, the opportunity for a marquee win. And it builds composure such that we won't pee down our leg in the NCAAT. We will come prepared knowing what to expect and what we need to do to win.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GJGood said:

I totally agree. I just think N. Fla sees their opportunity just like we do with OSU and then on top of that they got the game at home despite the seeding. Both games should be entertaining even though I think the Zips got shafted on their seeding.

It certainly looks like that instead of seeding teams and then determining matchups from the seeds that they determined matchups and then threw seeds on the teams to validate the matchups. Still, we have a chance to prove the seedings wrong. Unfortunately, I guess we can't expect anything more than that.

As someone else mentioned, the NIT is a private, for-profit event. We either accept what we are given or don't participate. Simple as that.

Yes, match-ups and interest ($) were used to justify the seeds...it wasn't done based on resume strength. Who cares?...We have a terrific opportunity anyhow. Beat OSWho and Florida this year and maybe we have a chance to host a mid-tier B1G team in future years. As a fan, contribute by listening to the radio, watching on TV, reading associated articles, and creating a social media buzz...attention is what the NIT cares about.

I have to say, meager crowds at the JAR for games other than OU and Kent really hurt our prospects for getting a home game like this. It may have been awarded to us if we had a loyal and rapid fan base large enough to fill the JAR and make a great atmosphere for TV. As it is, it will be given to the larger (though underwhelmed with opportunity) school.

I know they look at attendance.  But, I can almost assure you that the crowd in the JAR would have been a SELLOUT for this one.  The Honks in this area would have been fighting all of us for tickets. 

I'm not sure if 5k will go to this game in Cowlumbus.  NIT games at "big schools" have historically not drawn well.  The cheap ticket price is probably a reflection of that. 

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:08 PM, zipinnc said:

7 PAC-12 teams is a joke. They will not win more than 3 games in the first round.

2-5, they might be lucky to make it out of the first weekend.  We should play as many of them as we can.

This tournament again shows that the story EVERY YEAR is about the small school underdogs, the Arkansas Little Rocks, Steven F, Austins, Middle Tennessees and the like.  That's what draws the interest of the common fans.  Maybe, just maybe, the NCAA will wake up some day and realize that mid-majors spur interest and extend the reach of the game.

11 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

This tournament again shows that the story EVERY YEAR is about the small school underdogs, the Arkansas Little Rocks, Steven F, Austins, Middle Tennessees and the like.  That's what draws the interest of the common fans.  Maybe, just maybe, the NCAA will wake up some day and realize that mid-majors spur interest and extend the reach of the game.

I think in their minds, they ARE already letting in plenty of mid-majors, and lower-than-mid-majors, just by giving the auto-bid to all conferences.  And those schools are always going to produce some upsets.  So, although I wish you were on to something here, I'm sure this will never persuade them to give at-large bids to any teams other than the ones who they "think" are the best and/or can contribute to the financial success of the tournament. 

58 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The NCAA realizes this. An interesting statistic/comparison to look into would be the TV ratings after mid-majors (Cinderellas) are knocked out vs. ticket sales/attendance at games featuring two P5 teams. I would think the drop in interest is not nearly as great as the increase in attendance, hence the way the NCAA shapes the bracket each year.

March Madness has the same effect on college basketball as Fantasy Football does on the NFL. The bracket is the moneymaker; it drives the interest for the average college basketball fan. I think the story each year is someone's bracket being busted because of the mid-major, not that the mid-major won.

The NFL and NCAA (basketball wise) have a very similar problem. The common fan's interest isn't necessarily in their product, but in their side product. Focusing on the NCAA, they have an identity crisis. Why? Too many one-and-done's, not enough continuity for people to familiarize themselves with. It's ironic because Kentucky is essentially the NCAA's Golden Child, whilst also being the main source of their identity problem. Outside of Ulis, I can't name another Wildcat. Duke? I know Grayson Allen because he's a punk, and Marshall Plumlee because his mom belongs in the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame. Now let's look at the opposite end of the spectrum. Wichita State has been one of the nation's most beloved schools over the past 4 years because of continuity. Van Fleet and Baker are their stars, and they stayed all 4 years. Not only did they make noise on the national stage with big win after big win, but by staying for 4 years, they gave people the chance to follow them/grow with them.

Despite all of the fantastic games, I've lost more and more interest in the tournament this year. Partly because of the Zips disappointing season, but mostly because it seems more obvious than ever that the tournament is about making the NCAA money instead of honoring the great student-athletes across the nation. The snubs, seeding, and officiating have each been nothing less than nauseating.

While listening to ESPN Cleveland 850 WKNR a week or so ago, I heard a caller propose an interesting solution. Re-allow high schoolers to make the jump to the NBA. I think the gap between high school and the NBA has grown since Kobe and LeBron did it; more and more players will realize they are going to need the college level to bridge the gap. The NCAA should then adopt something similar to their football rule, where once you choose to go to college, you must stay for a minimum of 3 years. This will not only create roster continuity, but it will also spread the recruits out. Instead of schools like Kansas/Duke/Kentucky getting the 5 best players in the country year in and year out, those players might choose other schools because they won't want to sit behind players for 2-3 years; they'll want to make a name for themselves now. Overtime, the P5 landscape becomes pretty full, and some of these higher caliber players will start to consider more mid-major schools as an opportunity to make a name for themselves quickly.

I think possibilites of the idea are very interesting, and I would be a big supporter of it.

And just to follow up again.  When the selection committee lets in teams with poor RPIs from "power conferences", like they did with Syracuse and Michigan this year, and they actually WIN GAMES, I'm sure in some way they believe that it justifies their tendency to select those teams.  That sucks.  That's why I like to see those teams get knocked out in the first round. 

• Like 1

Playing the devil's advocate here: It is hard to argue the case of more mid majors when only 1/32 of those teams (Gonzaga) made it to the sweet 16.

On the other hand, when you have 6/7 teams from the ACC in the sweet 16, you start wondering if Florida St. and Georgia Tech who won 8 games in that conference should have received an at large. 

I went with a friend to Dayton to watch two of the First Four games: Holy Cross vs. Southern U and Michigan vs. Tulsa.

There were a ton of Michigan fans there & my friend, who is a big Michigan fan, said he suspected the only reason Michigan was invited to the First Four in Dayton was because they knew they could fill the arena w/ Wolverine fans.

10 hours ago, Valpo Zip said:

Playing the devil's advocate here: It is hard to argue the case of more mid majors when only 1/32 of those teams (Gonzaga) made it to the sweet 16.

On the other hand, when you have 6/7 teams from the ACC in the sweet 16, you start wondering if Florida St. and Georgia Tech who won 8 games in that conference should have received an at large. 

There might be a good argument for the ACC to get more participants, but other power conferences took a beating.  But I still think that the biggest issue if you are a school like Akron, or any other non-power-conference program is certainly that only ONE team from our category got through two rounds. 

15 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I went with a friend to Dayton to watch two of the First Four games: Holy Cross vs. Southern U and Michigan vs. Tulsa.

There were a ton of Michigan fans there & my friend, who is a big Michigan fan, said he suspected the only reason Michigan was invited to the First Four in Dayton was because they knew they could fill the arena w/ Wolverine fans.

I've been to Dayton also.  It doesn't seem that they have any trouble selling tickets to the First Four.  I'm actually surprised that the NCAA hasn't moved that First Four to a larger arena by now. 

14 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I've been to Dayton also.  It doesn't seem that they have any trouble selling tickets to the First Four.  I'm actually surprised that the NCAA hasn't moved that First Four to a larger arena by now. 

A bit off topic, but the UD Arena was easily the worst arena to watch a basketball game I've ever been in.  We were a loooong distance from the court and the seats don't have a steep enough grade to them - one's view is constantly obstructed by the heads in front of you.  I would have honestly rather watched a game at K.e.n.t's MAC Center.

But at least they have seats and not bleachers.  After 2 games on the bleachers of the JAR my back would have been killing me.

Edited by Blue & Gold

5 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

A bit off topic, but the UD Arena was easily the worst arena to watch a basketball game I've ever been in.  We were a loooong distance from the court and the seats don't have a steep enough grade to them - one's view is constantly obstructed by the heads in front of you.  I would have honestly rather watched a game at K.e.n.t's MAC Center.

But at least they have seats and not bleachers.  After 2 games on the bleachers of the JAR my back would have been killing me.

Not only do they have seats, they have PADDED individual seats.  But I agree....there isn't too much else to say that's good about the arena.  It's an old, dingy, concrete relic.  And it's gone through some recent multi-million dollar improvements.  There just isn't much they can do with a place like that.