Enrollment

• 2 weeks later...

ABJ's numbers far more true than not.  This is a PR move by Scarborough and company and it's not pretty.  They know their strategies have cratered public perception, alienated many existing students and area families.  This is very, very serious.  The school is on the verge of s severe financial emergency that might require state intervention.  if that happens, enrollment will decline further and the state might be forced to take drastic measures (merger).

http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories/university-of-akron-attacks-beacon-journal-story-1.671704

• Like 1

I've read both the ABJ story, and the subsequent story refuting the data from the University. 

Unfortunately, we live in a world where the lib media has control over public perception, especially for those people who will not look any further into the facts, and just believe what they are told.  It happens during every election cycle.  

Thus, the story that appears on the front page of a big regional newspaper is going to get infinitely more attention that the article the U circulates which refutes the accuracy of some of those numbers.  And that's what potential recruits and their families in this region are going to see.

1 hour ago, jupitertoo said:

This is very, very serious.  The school is on the verge of s severe financial emergency that might require state intervention.  if that happens, enrollment will decline further and the state might be forced to take drastic measures (merger).

lol.

3 hours ago, jupitertoo said:

ABJ's numbers far more true than not.  This is a PR move by Scarborough and company and it's not pretty.  They know their strategies have cratered public perception, alienated many existing students and area families.  This is very, very serious.  The school is on the verge of s severe financial emergency that might require state intervention.  if that happens, enrollment will decline further and the state might be forced to take drastic measures (merger).

http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories/university-of-akron-attacks-beacon-journal-story-1.671704

I'd say there is legitimacy to Akron's claims. Raising admission standards to become more selective has become a crossed the board a common thing for Ohio public universities. It's also no coincidence that the University has taken measures to expand the honors college as those people are much more likely to graduate on time than some person who got an 18 on their act and averaged a 2.5 in high school.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/state-funding-pushes-up-college-standards/nnN8b/

On March 26, 2016 at 0:06 PM, kreed5120 said:

I'd say there is legitimacy to Akron's claims. Raising admission standards to become more selective has become a crossed the board a common thing for Ohio public universities. It's also no coincidence that the University has taken measures to expand the honors college as those people are much more likely to graduate on time than some person who got an 18 on their act and averaged a 2.5 in high school.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/state-funding-pushes-up-college-standards/nnN8b/

That arguentment (from UA not from you) is garbage.  There hasn't been a significant drop in the admissions of Kent, which has also made an effort to increase its standards of admittance, and I think it has had a slightly higher standard longer than Akron has and did not see the same dive in enrollment.  This is objectively serious.

It is absolutely a PR stunt for UA to make this argument.  Also it's and outdated contention; UA began raising its standards years ago at this point.  Continually using "the higher standards" excuse for lower admittance is refusing to acknowledge a real and very serious problem.  Not to mention refusing to accept responsibility for some very, very, poor decisions.

• 1 month later...

http://www.toledoblade.com/Education/2016/05/06/University-of-Toledo-has-new-interim-vice-president-of-the-division-of-enrollment-management-Stephanie-Sanders.html

UT’s enrollment has dropped every year since 2010, when it reached a head count high of 23,085 students. In fall of 2014, enrollment fell to 20,626 students. In the fall of 2015, the university enrolled 20,325 students.

Read more at http://www.toledoblade.com/Education/2016/05/06/University-of-Toledo-has-new-interim-vice-president-of-the-division-of-enrollment-management-Stephanie-Sanders.html#RDOxKwBOTvqL576j.99

• 3 weeks later...

Every 6 months my company gets a new set of UA Engineering co-op's. Usually three or four. 

Without exception, the kids are sharp, energetic and well-prepared. After their graduation, many have been retained, and are doing quite well.

I am impressed with the level of graduates UA Engineering is churning out. 

People can latch on to whatever negative stuff they want. Good for them. 

I see with my own eyes there's still a great crop of kids at UA, getting a great education, and being very well prepared for their professional careers. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Every 6 months my company gets a new set of UA Engineering co-op's. Usually three or four. 

Without exception, the kids are sharp, energetic and well-prepared. After their graduation, many have been retained, and are doing quite well.

I am impressed with the level of graduates UA Engineering is churning out. 

People can latch on to whatever negative stuff they want. Good for them. 

I see with my own eyes there's still a great crop of kids at UA, getting a great education, and being very well prepared for their professional careers. 

Same applies in my profession. UA is as well respected (if not more) in my office as any other regional university as well as OSU, Miami, and Dayton. All of the biggest firms recruit at UA.

Edited by LZIp

Having the local paper drone on about the alleged gloom and doom at UA has clearly had a major impact on enrollment. For the average Joe NEO who only gets his info from the MSM, the last 2 years would have led them to believe UA was going to fold and disappear.    

4 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Having the local paper drone on about the alleged gloom and doom at UA has clearly had a major impact on enrollment. For the average Joe NEO who only gets his info from the MSM, the last 2 years would have led them to believe UA was going to fold and disappear.    

No Doubt.  The reputation of a University among prospective students and donors means everything, And the press certainly has an impact on shaping that.  

We're going to have to suffer the consequences until we can rebuild that image.  

It may be wishful thinking to speculate that a change in leadership will change all of that.  I hope it does.  But, I wouldn't count on any kind of instant "they're fine now...they just had a bad president" type of impact.  I really think it's going to take some time.  

Edited by skip-zip

• 2 months later...

This can't help. And there's a growing apathy among college-age adults that college is a waste of money. Including on campus. 

Inflation.jpg

Edited by Spin
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

NIU enrollment down 5.5 percent

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2016/09/07/niu-enrollment-down-5-5-percent/avjxwfq/

“Certainly we continue to face challenges that all Illinois higher education institutions confront, most notably Illinois’ continued population decline and the state’s continued and persistent status as the nation’s second-largest exporter of high school students to other states for higher education,” Baker wrote. 

On 8/17/2016 at 6:04 PM, Spin said:

This can't help. And there's a growing apathy among college-age adults that college is a waste of money. Including on campus. 

Inflation.jpg

Universities are just so focused on outspending one another and passing that cost onto students, donors, and taxpayers. I'm waiting for the day UA sends me a letter saying thank you for your contributions. We reached our fundraising goal of x-number of dollars. We don't need anymore of your money. Instead it is we are $150 million towards our $200 million goal, but now we actually need $500 million so please give more.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I thought this article was quite pertinent to what we are seeing at U of A. Maybe President Wilson can add some comment to what if anything we are doing here at U of A. I know we have had some past efforts to link UA to Economic development. I am very interested in what his thoughts, plans and ideas are related to economic development.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/to-save-themselves-small-colleges-offer-lifeline-to-their-hometowns-1482316200

• Like 1