Zips @ Buckeyes — March 15th 7pm on ESPN

ZippyRulz

NIT in Columbus  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, Sportsjunkie330 said:

I wonder if OSU is celebrating getting in that club tonight?

I'm sure they are.  I'm sure they are celebrating a nonsense statistic that was spouted once upon a time by some dumbass color guy during a game that somehow, inexplicably gained traction.

I'm sure their fan base is now also parroting said statistic to make a case for how they were jilted by the NCAA selection committee and how they should be dancing.

29 minutes ago, Sportsjunkie330 said:

I wonder if OSU is celebrating getting in that club tonight?

I'm sure they are.  I'm sure they are celebrating a nonsense statistic that was spouted once upon a time by some dumbass color guy during a game that somehow, inexplicably gained traction.

I'm sure their fan base is now also parroting said statistic to make a case for how they were jilted by the NCAA selection committee and how they should be dancing.

2 minutes ago, K92 said:

Who am I kidding?  They are talking about football. 

• Like 1

I fully expect the same for the next 5 years or more. Good players, good MAC teams, no ability to make noise after Cleveland. A shiny new arena someday should lift the ceiling on recruiting somewhat and allow us to take another step forward. Until then, enjoy what we have.

Edited by ZippyRulz

18 minutes ago, pdt1420 said:

Btw, announced attendance of 4700.  Would have sold out the JAR. Nice job NIT. 

Not sure if it would have made a difference or not but I think it's clear that the Zips should have had a top 4 seed and a home game, even if OSU wasn't the opponent. 

Also, you'd think that with so many NIT teams having their conference seasons ending early in the week last week that they would've given the teams that had to play most recently the Wednesday games instead of the Tuesday ones. I am sure that is driven by TV but they could have swapped tomorrow's 7pm with today at 7pm.

This was the night to take down Ohio State and we just cannot get over the hump.  We scored 5 points in the last 5 minutes of overtime and 1 point in overtime.  Very similar to the Buffalo game when we could not execute down the stretch.  Noah had another 30 minute 5 point game just like Buffalo. Our guards were horrible tonight shooting a combined 7 for 27 and 2 for 18 from 3 land.  Our guards are great shooters but that is about it.  When their shots are not falling they cannot consistently drive to the basket.  KD loves Noah and he is a great kid but I expect the lead point guard in big games to play big.  These losses would not hurt so much if we had played well. 

Had the Zips won this game, we would have a win to talk about for the next 20 years. Every basketball fan in Ohio would have talked about this game tomorrow. Akron recruiters would have great bragging material for the next few years when they visit midwest recruits. 

We played the worst OSU team in the recent history (and they probably won't be that bad again for another decade). We "supposedly" had one of our best teams ever. The stars were perfectly aligned, but we still couldn't beat them. If you want to use Forsyth as an excuse, they were similarly missing one of their big guys for illness.

So we had a once in a lifetime chance to win probably the biggest game in the program history. That win would have led to a very fortunate opportunity for us to host the biggest name ever at the JAR in the Florida Gators. 

We still played a game where we sucked at shooting free throws (as usual), sucked at shooting three points (as we do in big games), and scored a single freaking point in 5 minutes of over time. 

After all that, I see zips fans who are congratulating each other for this incredible season and our 21 win streak!!! 

I am sorry if you enjoy mediocrity and you don't mind your team missing once in a lifetime low hanging opportunities. Some of us don't care how many coppin states and bethune cookman we beat every year. We wait the whole year for the post season and we always get the same result. So please forgive us for not exactly farting rainbows right now. 

• Like 3

This was the worst game I've ever experienced in my 21 years of Zips fandom. Unbelievable how bad we were. Yeah we shot poorly, but I'm talking about coaching. This was the worst game Dambrot has ever coached. You had the ball with 30 seconds left in regulation and a tie game with 2 timeouts, and you don't use one. Instead, you let a sophomore PG try to make things happen in a stagnant offense. Awful. Just awful.

Our coaching staff needs to shake things up. What the Hell happened to this great ball movement "ZGen" offense? This past week, our offense looked like crap. Stagnant and slow. OSU looked a step ahead of us the entire night, and that's saying something because they blow. Thad Matta is an atrocious coach.

3 keys to future success:

-Tougher OOC schedule. I'm done with the Lipscombs of the world. It's time we start scheduling like a real high mid-major.

-Free Throws.

-Ball movement. Our offense was fantastic and then it just went to crap.

4700 announced attendance is embarrassing. The NCAA should be ashamed of themselves. Absolutely ridiculous. Boring crowd and zero atmosphere. Akron got robbed, then shot themselves in the foot.

Until next year... Go Zips.

• Like 1

Here's how I see it:

If we won, you can bet everything you own that OSWho would have scheduled us again as quickly as possible.  They would have never allowed this loss to hang over their heads forever.

But with the win, they will surely avoid playing us for another 27 years again, and keep their perception among many Ohio sports fans that they are better than Akron and shouldn't "waste their time" playing such a weak program.  The HONKS won't care about the score.  In their minds, Akron "probably just got lucky" to make the game so close. 

5 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Here's how I see it:

If we won, you can bet everything you own that OSWho would have scheduled us again as quickly as possible.  They would have never allowed this loss to hang over their heads forever.

But with the win, they will surely avoid playing us for another 27 years again, and keep their perception among many Ohio sports fans that they are better than Akron and shouldn't "waste their time" playing such a weak program.  The HONKS won't care about the score.  In their minds, Akron "probably just got lucky" to make the game so close. 

Valid point.  They probably wouldn't have let the team leave the building without scheduling that game for next season. 

We we have success with Big Dog in the paint. Inside out works but then OSU makes an adjustment.  Our adjustment??  Shoot more 3's. 

......and some people say we have the best coaching staff in the MAC.   I'm tired of 1&done.  Tired os being stagnent.  But some people on here don't want to change anything they just want to hope and pray that things go our way.  

2 timeouts left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you don't use one to draw up a play???????   It's not like you can take them to the chapel hill Taco Bell and cash em in for free taco!!!!!!

Edited by dirtyolcrowe

So much negativity around here. Understandably so.

But the sky is not falling. I hope everyone takes a deep breath and regroups today. Am I heartbroken about this loss? Hell yes. Am I furious with the team? Sort of. They battled hard as hell last night when they had a horrible shooting night. Yes we should probably have done some things differently. There were mental mistakes. There was exhaustion. It wasn’t just one thing that lead to this loss. And the bottom line is we had a chance at the end to put the game away and weren’t able to come away with the win.

I was very worried when OT began, and for good reason. Big Dog played 38 minutes last night(!). I’m not 100% sure but I’d be willing to bet that that was a season high for him. Him going 1 for 6 from the FT line in overtime was an obvious sign that he had nothing left in the tank. Keith is right, though. If he can get himself in better shape he could be unstoppable. As it is right now he is a hard man to keep contained, and has some great moves for his size. If he can shed a few pounds and work on his touch around the rim for next year, look out. He could be a monster. (on a side note, I had never noticed his calves before until they zoomed in on them during the first half last night and holy s*%$!!)

Very, very similar ending as the Buffalo game… Jake turnover late, Antino mental mistake. In this one we were lucky that the Buckeyes were so terrible at finishing at the rim, but how many of those misses inside were due to Big Dog altering shots?

As great of an opportunity as this was, we need to realize who we are for a second. How many of our players would start on that depleted Buckeye team? Maybe Isaiah Johnson; that’s it. Down year or not, that’s still a very athletic, long team unlike we’ve seen much of this year. How many of those games where a mid-major team downs a P5 team did the mid-major team have a poor shooting night and still win? Not many. Bottom line is that for a mid-major team to beat a P5 team, it generally takes an exceptional game. This was an opportunity where even a less than exceptional game could have resulted in a win and we just didn’t have it. They’re human, they’re going to miss shots. How else can you explain a team like the GS Warriors to lose to the Lakers? Even the pros have off shooting nights.

So while I am very very disappointed in this loss, I’m not quite as bitter as the rest of you. Does that mean I’m okay with mediocrity? No, I want this program to succeed in these big games, but I’m not going to give up on them until they do. Thanks for a great season and thanks to Reggie, Jake and Pat for 4 years of service.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Valpo Zip said:

Had the Zips won this game, we would have a win to talk about for the next 20 years. Every basketball fan in Ohio would have talked about this game tomorrow. Akron recruiters would have great bragging material for the next few years when they visit midwest recruits. 

We played the worst OSU team in the recent history (and they probably won't be that bad again for another decade). We "supposedly" had one of our best teams ever. The stars were perfectly aligned, but we still couldn't beat them. If you want to use Forsyth as an excuse, they were similarly missing one of their big guys for illness.

So we had a once in a lifetime chance to win probably the biggest game in the program history. That win would have led to a very fortunate opportunity for us to host the biggest name ever at the JAR in the Florida Gators. 

We still played a game where we sucked at shooting free throws (as usual), sucked at shooting three points (as we do in big games), and scored a single freaking point in 5 minutes of over time. 

After all that, I see zips fans who are congratulating each other for this incredible season and our 21 win streak!!! 

I am sorry if you enjoy mediocrity and you don't mind your team missing once in a lifetime low hanging opportunities. Some of us don't care how many coppin states and bethune cookman we beat every year. We wait the whole year for the post season and we always get the same result. So please forgive us for not exactly farting rainbows right now. 

I'm not sure we have the same definition of mediocrity.

"We can't get a sniff, we can't even get talked about," Dambrot said, lamenting the discussion exclusion on CBS Sunday.

my guess is if you'd replace akron with ou or kent they would have been on the bubble board...simply bc they've had ppls attention with a ncaa tourney run...until that happens here akron bball will continue to be 'groundhog day'

I was screaming at the TV and wanted the Zips to win as much as anybody, but holy smokes, the area law enforcement agencies better start watching bridges for jumpers today given the tone on here.  It was a damn NIT game, a game in a tournament to determine 69th place in NCAA basketball.

There's a reason some kids get recruited to UA and some kids get recruited to OSU, and that came through last night in crunch time when "bigger, faster, stronger" prevails.

It's time to thank the seniors for their four years and move on with hopes that the program hasn't plateaued and can get more of the "bigger, stronger, faster" kids.

1 hour ago, mivid12 said:

"We can't get a sniff, we can't even get talked about," Dambrot said, lamenting the discussion exclusion on CBS Sunday.

my guess is if you'd replace akron with ou or kent they would have been on the bubble board...simply bc they've had ppls attention with a ncaa tourney run...until that happens here akron bball will continue to be 'groundhog day'

What team on God's green earth gets into the conversation with 0 signature wins and an all-time post-season record that looks like this?

L 1986 1st Rd NCAA v Michigan, 70-64.
L 1987 1st Rd NIT v Illinois St, 79-72.
L 1989 1st Rd NIT v Ohio St, 81-70.
W 2006 1st Rd NIT v Temple, 80-73.
L 2006 2nd Rd NIT v Creighton, 71-60.
W 2008 1st Rd NIT v Florida St, 65-60(2OT).
L 2008 2nd Rd NIT v UMass, 68-63.
L 2009 1st Rd NCAA v Gonzazga, 77-64.
L 2010 1st Rd CBI v UW-Green Bay, 70-66.
L 2011 1st Rd NCAA v Notre Dame, 69-56.
L 2012 1st Rd NIT v Northwestern, 76-74.
L 2013 1st Rd NCAA v VCU, 88-42.
L 2014 1st Rd CIT v IPFW (97-91).
L 2016 1st Rd NIT v 72-63(OT).

You don't get a lot of sniffs when the track record stinks.

Groundhog Day?  Groundhog Day indeed!  The past few years have been reminiscent of the movie, the same thing over and over again. . .

The movie starts in the fall when practice starts.  Lucy attends practice and lets us know just how good this year's team is!!  We've heard that before, though and we're not buying it this year!

football.jpg

The season finally starts and the Zips are looking good on the non-conference part of the schedule:

21.jpg

And old Charlie Brown, the Zips fan, starts to get his hopes up again.  When conference season starts, some Charlies are even talking about

%7BD822DB67-2DDF-4A8E-872D-D524FAE6D8B1%

Post season rolls around and. . .

cr9ipBN.gif

Edited by K92
  • Like 8