Zips @ Buckeyes — March 15th 7pm on ESPN

ZippyRulz

NIT in Columbus  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So a big discussion on selection Sunday was the difference between the mediocre teams in power conferences and the otherwise successful teams.

So, as predicted yesterday on this very service, NIT bracket; (6)Akron will Play in Columbus against (3)Ohio State.

Can this discussion have any realistic input from this contest when it is not played on a neutral court?

Edited by zen

10 minutes ago, zen said:

So, as predicted yesterday on this very service, NIT bracket; (6)Akron will Play in Columbus against (3)Ohio State.

Actually I posted early Saturday morning that Akron would play OSU in the NIT in Columbus if the Zips lost.

Poster LZIP made fun of my post and used an old post he/she/it offended with some time ago. Then this

same poster states after the loss that he/she/it read the same prediction from an unknown source. Lame.

Unlike he/she/it I actually had a REAL source.

Source available in private only with any administrator.

13 minutes ago, Spin said:

Dang. I can't imagine how bad these guys would want him fired if he didn't have the best record in the MAC... :rolleyes:

Well in wins this year he barely....matched the highest win total in 114 years in the programs history.  No biggie.  It's amazing how ridiculous some people can be.

Edited by smacktalkinZip

We have heard all year about the 11 straight years of 21+ wins teams. Akron has it again this year. OSU currently has 20 wins so Akron can make the club more exclusive by knocking someone out head to head. I guess there is some irony to that.

• Like 1

In determining what to wear to Cowlumbus I found three different "for Pete's Sake" tee shirts.

I plan on wearing this year's version with the "Z" as a tribute to our loved coach Dan Peters.

note: Thad Matta fired coach Peters to make room for his pal on the osu staff.

• Like 1

I don't know much about the Columbus team. I found some info at Maize n Brew from last month. 

Columbus is incredibly young. The rotation consists of only one player who isn't a sophomore or freshman, and he's a junior. There is talent on this team as this roster is filled with former four-stars. However, none of them are near the caliber of D'Angelo Russell, and it'll take some time. There have been flashes of that this season, when Columbus looks like a juggernaut, and it usually happens at home. No surprise that a young team would play better when comfortable. That talent and athleticism seem to show on the defensive end, where Columbus is 36th in adjusted efficiency, particularly in the paint. Columbus is 28th in eFG% because few teams protect the rim better. Where the talent struggles to come out is on offense as Columbus is 140th in adjusted offensive efficiency. It's difficult to describe this offense because there's not much that stands out. Columbus ranks between 157th and 218th in all four offensive factors. It's an average offense in almost every aspect, except Columbus doesn't fare well at the free-throw line  or record many assists. However, Columbus is much better when it is able to push the tempo. Columbus is led by a trio of forwards,  junior Marc Loving, sophomore Keita Bates-Diop, and  sophomore Jae'Sean Tate, all average 11-plus PPG and five-plus RPG. Loving can get to the free-throw line, but he functions as a jump-shooter. Dishing the ball is freshman point guard JaQuan Lyle, who was the jewel of the Columbus 2015 class. He's the only player on the team that averages more than two APG. However, he still has trouble orchestrating the offense because he is sloppy with the basketball. At center, Columbus splits the time between 6-foot-11 sophomore and Trevor Thompson and 6-foot-10 freshman Daniel Giddens. Thompson usually is the starter and averages 6.8 points, 5.3 rebounds. Thompson isn't the best finisher at the rim, but he's still a strong scorer because he can hit his jumpers near the bucket.

Jae'Sean Tate is out for the season with a shoulder injury.

Buckeyes do not defend the 3 very well. But since we haven't been shooting that well from outside the last few games I'm not sure how much of a factor that will be.

Marc Loving seems like he could be a handful for us. 

• Like 1

I found this pretty amusing, and so typical.

I am not a Facebook guy, but someone told me this morning that Suckeye fans are all over the Zips facebook page commenting about things, and chastising the Zips fans who are commenting.

I see this as a game where plenty of so-called "Zips Fans" will buy tickets through Akron, and will go down there and sit among the Akron fans with their OSWho gear.  It happens when we go down there for football games, and to some extent you see it at our own home basketball games. 

That will be embarrassing and sad if it happens.  But, I won't be surprised.