Zips @ Buckeyes — March 15th 7pm on ESPN

ZippyRulz

NIT in Columbus  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It looks like many OSU fans, at least the ones at this thread: http://www.scout.com/college/ohio-state/forums/3156-the-schott/14629836--6-akron-3-ohio-state-a-good-matchup?page=1, are scared about this game. Even if it is because they are down on their own team, I am glad that we are able to get at least a little respect from fans of that school in Columbus. 

Also interesting is the fact that OSU was considering turning down the bid if they had to travel. Seems pretty convenient that they ended up in the same bracket section as a Florida team without an arena. Might have influenced the committee into moving the game from Akron to Columbus also. 

Edited by UAZippers

Come on now, he's doing nothing more than setting the stage by saying "they should be in the NCAA Tournament." If they beat us, that gives him the argument they should have been in. It challenges his young team to show up. It also gives him an out if they lose. Their young team lost to the MAC Champs, a tournament caliber team...it would ease the loss to his players, the fans. If they give us a good game, it provides hope, a glimmer into next year. It's nothing more than manipulation. Sorry -- not buying what he's selling. Go Zips! 

Time for the Zips to put-up-or-shut-up.

If we really deserved to be in the tournament...if that 28 RPI meant anything...the Zips need to win tonight.

Three straight games in Cleveland = no "big arena" excuses. Hell...Reggie played at the OSU arena in high school.

Kent has had two, 3-deep NIT runs. Ball State went 4-deep in the NIT a while back. It's time for the Zips to win some post season games for the first time since Nick Dials donned the Blue and Gold! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Its game day Zipsnation, and we have a chance to get our biggest win in school history. GO ZIPS!

From an attention/publicity standpoint, yes.  But, this would certainly be far from the highest ranked team we've ever beaten. 

10 minutes ago, Jalapeño Zippy said:

Come on now, he's doing nothing more than setting the stage by saying "they should be in the NCAA Tournament." If they beat us, that gives him the argument they should have been in. It challenges his young team to show up. It also gives him an out if they lose. Their young team lost to the MAC Champs, a tournament caliber team...it would ease the loss to his players, the fans. If they give us a good game, it provides hope, a glimmer into next year. It's nothing more than manipulation. Sorry -- not buying what he's selling. Go Zips! 

Exactly.  It's typical coach speak.  He's setting himself up so he doesn't look bad if they lose, and looks as good as possible if they win.

And in the postgame presser, if they lose, he'll repeat again how GREAT the Akron Zips are. 

Edited by skip-zip

28 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

It looks like many OSU fans, at least the ones at this thread: http://www.scout.com/college/ohio-state/forums/3156-the-schott/14629836--6-akron-3-ohio-state-a-good-matchup?page=1, are scared about this game. Even if it is because they are down on their own team, I am glad that we are able to get at least a little respect from fans of that school in Columbus. 

Good find. I agree, nice to see us get some respect.

Now let's go get a win and give a reason for the rest of the pundits to respect us.

• Like 1

You want to win every game, but as far as big wins go, this is a lousy OSU team that isn't good enough to be in the NCAA tourney-- but the type of win this program needs... or at least the type of opponent they need to face more often --win or lose. The fact that ZN and the players are excited is the exact reason Akron should forgo home games against lousy opponents that draw 3,000 fans-- and they should hit the road for better games, money, and more recognizable opponents.  Fans seem to want it, and I would be shocked if the players didn't want it.  I would gladly give up 5 home games a year and still follow the Zips if they played a better schedule 21-13 vs 26-8  i can live with that... I think it would help in recruiting, and better prepare the team to play on bigger stages.

--Go Zips

Edited by morris buttermaker
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Handed out washable Zips tattoos to my students so far today.  About 35 kids are walking around with the Zips "Z" on them because they thought it was "sleek" and "cool".  

I'm glad you are using your influence to hopefully create more Zips fans.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GJGood said:

Not that its going to be a problem, but how would OSU even host a game in the next round? Their women are hosting in the NCAA and its OHSAA championship weekend as well.

They would probably have it in St. John arena. They did that for a game last time they were in the NIT.

The funny thing is had we sacrificed a Coppin State or Bethune-Cookman home game in the regular season to take the cash and play at OSU like we are being forced to now, we might of at least been in a position for our name to appear on the screen of 20+ "bubble teams" during the selection show and be hosting an NIT game.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, morris buttermaker said:

... or at least the type of opponent they need to face more often -- win or lose. The fact that ZN and the players are excited is the exact reason Akron should forgo home games against lousy opponents that draw 3,000 fans -- and they should hit the road for better games, money, and more recognizable opponents.  Fans seem to want it, and I would be shocked if the players didn't want it.  I would gladly give up 5 home games a year and still follow the Zips if they played a better schedule 21-13 vs 26-8  i can live with that... I think it would help in recruiting, and better prepare the team to play on bigger stages.

--Go Zips

Amen Morris.

“It’s every kid’s dream from Ohio to go to Ohio State, play at the Schottenstein and beat them on their home court,” Kretzer said. “You ask anyone growing up, most of the time they’re Ohio State fans for the most part. They don’t get recruited by Ohio State. Guys take that as a chip on their shoulder and if they get to go there and get an opportunity to play, it’s definitely an added incentive to your mind-set.”

Edited by Sportsjunkie330
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Handed out washable Zips tattoos to my students so far today.  About 35 kids are walking around with the Zips "Z" on them because they thought it was "sleek" and "cool".  

Just don't tell them the Zips are playing Tosu tonight or they will be running to the bathroom to wash.

I am hoping that KD will start Big Dog and forget about the starting lineup of Kwan, Aron Jackson, Noah, Antino and Reggie.  In the Buffalo game that lineup gave us a combined 7 points in the first five minutes of the game and the first five minutes of the second half.  For whatever reason KD has a history of bringing his best players off the bench and not starting them whether it is Q or last year Deji.  Kwan had a bad tournament going 4 of 24 and I would take some pressure off of him by not starting him at center.   I know we risk getting Big Dog in early foul trouble but I think it is worth the risk. 

5 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I am hoping that KD will start Big Dog and forget about the starting lineup of Kwan, Aron Jackson, Noah, Antino and Reggie.  In the Buffalo game that lineup gave us a combined 7 points in the first five minutes of the game and the first five minutes of the second half.  For whatever reason KD has a history of bringing his best players off the bench and not starting them whether it is Q or last year Deji.  Kwan had a bad tournament going 4 of 24 and I would take some pressure off of him by not starting him at center.   I know we risk getting Big Dog in early foul trouble but I think it is worth the risk. 

Big Dog is more comfortable coming in after a few minutes. 

5 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Personally I disagree with this idea. If we think Kwan sometimes loses himself mentally during some games, what do you think demoting him to the bench would do? I'd rather start the same lineup we have been, just have a shorter leash on Kwan and Aaron in tonight's game. OSU isn't a team we can afford to spot 10+ points early, at home.

2 minutes ago, bUAkronG said:

If we think Kwan sometimes loses himself mentally during some games, what do you think demoting him to the bench would do?

He can lose himself mentally on the bench rather than the floor. Big Dog may be more comfortable coming in after a few minutes but I bet the rest of the team is more comfortable when they don't start out of the gate down 8 points.

22 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

He can lose himself mentally on the bench rather than the floor. Big Dog may be more comfortable coming in after a few minutes but I bet the rest of the team is more comfortable when they don't start out of the gate down 8 points.

Kwan always seems to play his best against P5 programs. I expect him to play well tonight. If he plays like he did against Kent in the game at the JAR, we win. 

Edited by Zipgrad01
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Kwan always seems to play his best against P5 programs. I expect him to play well tonight. If he plays like he did against Kent in the game at the JAR, we win. 

Travis...Joyce...Wood...those 26-win guys never got a shot at redemption after their MAC Finals loss. 

Kwan's certainly got his shot at redemption tonight. As an athlete coming off a loss and a poor performance, that's all you can ask.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bUAkronG said:

Personally I disagree with this idea. If we think Kwan sometimes loses himself mentally during some games, what do you think demoting him to the bench would do? I'd rather start the same lineup we have been, just have a shorter leash on Kwan and Aaron in tonight's game. OSU isn't a team we can afford to spot 10+ points early, at home.

Start Kwan and Big Dog together.  Take Aron out of the starting lineup.  We could use the extra rebounding.

• Like 1