Desired OOC Opponents?

There has been a lot of discussion about playing higher profile OOC opponents on the road early in the season. I thought I'd start a new thread to address this.

Who do you want to see us play? Why?

My considerations: name brand of program, appeal to recruits, possibility of a big win, payday, national exposure, post-season resume building, and interesting travel weekend for Zips fans in the fall if the game is on a weekend.

I'll start: Pitt, Cincy, Indiana, Maryland, Georgetown, WVU, OSU, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and Louisville. We should be playing 2-3 of these teams EVERY year!

For possible wins: Wichita State, UNI, Illinois, Belmont, SDSU, NC State, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, Saint Joe's, Butler, VCU, Dayton, Pitt, Wake Forest.

For experience: WVU, OSU, Indiana, Michigan, Syracuse, Texas, Virginia.

Every game is win-able, but there are some teams we are less likely to beat that you play to see what it takes to be the best. Also, that first group I deem more likely to do a home and home with us.

3 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I feel if we were to play 2 of those type of teams and 1 P5 football school (Penn State, Alabama, Nebraska, Auburn, etc.). I'd also like 1 fewer MEAC game and have that replaced with a home and home with a JMU, Belmont, SFA, Valpo, or some other high mid major.

Agreed regarding the other games, especially the high mid-majors. I'll add to that list: LSU, Tennessee, Illinois, Missouri, Minnesota, Clemson, and South Carolina. Mid-major-wise, I'd like to see Dayton or Xavier too.

I'd like to see us in the 2k Class which currently has Marquette, Michigan, Pittsburgh, and SMU. If we can't make this, I would like the Cancun Challenge which currently has Purdue, Texas Tech, Auburn, and Utah State. 

http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2015/11/30/9810744/2016-17-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-MTE-neutral-site

I would stop complaining if I could see about 3 teams per year that were in the Top 50 territory. 

If some of them were in the "travelable" vicinity, that would be a bonus. 

UAZipster, I think any of the programs you mentioned would accomplish all of those goals. 

Edited by skip-zip

I think that Xavier is my #1 choice to get on our schedule. Not only are they very good year in and year out, but I would think we could get a really good turnout of Zips fans for a great intrastate match up. Another couple teams that would be on my wish list at some point would be Duke and North Carolina.

On a side note, who remembers when we actually had Kansas State at the JAR the year after they went to the Final Four?

20 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

On a side note, who remembers when we actually had Kansas State at the JAR the year after they went to the Final Four?

This brings an interesting question to mind. Who was the last team from a power conference to come to the JAR, and what year? I've been following the Zips since 2007 and I don't remember one during that time period.

Home and home with a good A10 team? I'm not asking for a huge power team who would never come to the jar, but someone like St Bonaventure or St Joes. That should be doable. I remember a good series with Rhode Island a few years back. 

2 hours ago, blueandgold said:

I think that Xavier is my #1 choice to get on our schedule.

We've had a home-and-home with Dayton in recent year, and had a home-and-home with Xavier in the 90s.  That's good stuff.  I don't know why we can't get those anymore. 

And of course, the Xavier home game was the multi-OT game where Ball had the 44 point outburst.  I'll never forget it.  And Xavier was ranked at the time.  THOSE are the kinds of opportunities we need more often.  It was nearly the all-time greatest win for the program. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tpsjugglerdude said:

This brings an interesting question to mind. Who was the last team from a power conference to come to the JAR, and what year? I've been following the Zips since 2007 and I don't remember one during that time period.

I'm drawing a blank on any P5 teams ever coming to the JAR.  But when I think of RANKED teams, a couple come to mind.

Cleveland State in 1986

Xavier in 1996

Nevada in 2005 (Return bracket buster game)

VCU in 2011 (although I can't remember if they were actually in the Top 25 at that time)

I have to be forgetting someone.  Can anyone add to this?

Kansas St. Came in 1 yr. they were ranked.  Mitch Richmond was on the team. 

Maybe some others.  Since we are recruiting in TX.  Houston, TCU, UTEP, Sam Houston St. Or other TX cupcake.  Tired of Copping St.....did we sign a 10 yr home & home with them?

coach groce will crush them!!! 

Edited by dirtyolcrowe

58 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

We've had a home-and-home with Dayton in recent year, and had a home-and-home with Xavier in the 90s.  That's good stuff.  I don't know why we can't get those anymore. 

They don't want to play us anytime, anywhere! 

Edited by Hilltopper

Give me solid mid-major home-home's and I'm happy. Middle Tennessee was a good one. UWGB is a good one. Even Duquesne is ok.

Monmouth is looking to play anyone, anywhere. I think they'd be a great home-home. Valpo. Stoney Brook.

Replace the lost Bracket Buster match up and dump a cupcake or two for decent competition and I'm happy. Save the high majors for the early season tournaments. 

Dreaming of getting a high-major to Akron is like pretending the RPI means anything. 

Can't our new AD get us a game with Marquette? What are his connections? 

Steinbrecher is bitching that our strength of schedule needs upped...so give us a couple phone numbers of willing opponents.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Give me solid mid-major home-home's and I'm happy. Middle Tennessee was a good one. UWGB. is a good one. Even Duquesne is ok.

Monmouth is looking to play anyone, anywhere. I think they'd be a great home-home. Valpo. Stoney Brook.

Yep. Dump Coppin State, Bethune Cookman and Lipscomb and add a couple solid mid-majors. They're in the same boat we are, I can't see why a few wouldn't agree to a home and home. I'd like to see one more P5 game. A winnable one like Arkansas every year and 2 pay-day/tourney shots like Nova. None of this is unreasonable