Different standards

Valpo Zip

Somewhere not too far from Zips land, reaching the tournament final 3 out of the last 4 years gets you fired.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/03/16/billy-donlon-wright-state-part-ways/

In case there is any doubt, I maintain my position that KD should NOT be fired. I just wanted the KD worshippers on this board to wake up and get a dose of reality.

Well to play devil's advocate, Donlon has only been slightly above .500 at Wright State with zero conference championships- either tournament or regular season. And the Horizon is weaker than the MAC. Dambrot's winning percentage is almost .700 at Akron.

Regardless of how someone feels about Keith, I find it so unfair when someone implies that we're winning a lot of games because of cupcakes.  Or, that he might have a motive to play those teams to artificially "inflate" how good we are.

I'll be the first one on here to say that our schedule needs to get better to raise our national profile.  But we have beat plenty of good teams to amass the record that he has, and we do it consistently, year in and year out. 

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 3

The other thing people seem to forget is that our great record isn't solely in the OOC 'cupcake season'.  We won the MAC regular season by two full games.  Most coaches at other MAC schools get offers from high majors and leave after winning the MAC.  I don't know who would come in and replace Dambrot who could do better - not to mention the intangibles of the Lebron connection, the alumni factor, etc. 

Rather than Dambrot being the issue, perhaps a highly skilled assistant coach (well-paid by the University) could help jump things to the next level?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Valpo Zip said:

Somewhere not too far from Zips land, reaching the tournament final 3 out of the last 4 years gets you fired.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/03/16/billy-donlon-wright-state-part-ways/

In case there is any doubt, I maintain my position that KD should NOT be fired. I just wanted the KD worshippers on this board to wake up and get a dose of reality.

His team was 11-20 and had 3 conference wins last year.  Not even close to the same.  

14 minutes ago, aorians said:

Most coaches at other MAC schools get offers from high majors and leave after winning the MAC.  I don't know who would come in and replace Dambrot who could do better - not to mention the intangibles of the Lebron connection, the alumni factor, etc. 

Exactly.  KD's not going anywhere.  Thank God.

15 minutes ago, aorians said:

The other thing people seem to forget is that our great record isn't solely in the OOC 'cupcake season'.  We won the MAC regular season by two full games.  Most coaches at other MAC schools get offers from high majors and leave after winning the MAC.  I don't know who would come in and replace Dambrot who could do better - not to mention the intangibles of the Lebron connection, the alumni factor, etc. 

Rather than Dambrot being the issue, perhaps a highly skilled assistant coach (well-paid by the University) could help jump things to the next level?

We already have the best in the MAC