2016 Akron Pro Day

Dr Z

Today is Akron's pro day. Seventeen Zips showed off their skills. Thirty scouts from twenty-two different teams were in attendance. The Browns had two scouts present. Rodney Coe was not able to work out because of an earlier sports hernia surgery. He still seemed in good spirits. Lots of excitement today around the field house today. I don't have any official numbers yet, as it was still going on as I departed. George is/was in attendance, so he may writing something.

osu_001_160318.jpg

pro_001_160318.jpg

pro_002_160318-2.jpg

pro_002_160318.jpg

pro_003_160318-2.jpg

pro_004_160318.jpg

pro_004_160318-2.jpg

View video here.

• Like 1

George Thomas article about pro day with Phil Masturzo photography.

Unofficially, Brown ran anywhere between 4.38 and 4.44 in the 40-yard dash — either time faster than the best Ohio State linebacker Darron Lee ran at the combine. His 33 repetitions of 225 pounds lifted would have ranked No. 1, as well. The vertical jump and broad jump would both rank in the Top 10.

A svelte Cody Grice, a former defensive tackle for the Zips, showed up nearly 30 pounds lighter with an eye toward catching some eyes as a fullback.

“I knew what I wanted to do at the end of the year,” Grice, who played running back at Firestone High School, said. “ I love defense. I love going out there and hitting somebody. I love it to death. I know if I want to have a future, longevity, offense is the way to go.”

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:10 AM, Dr Z said:

George Thomas article about pro day with Phil Masturzo photography.

Unofficially, Brown ran anywhere between 4.38 and 4.44 in the 40-yard dash — either time faster than the best Ohio State linebacker Darron Lee ran at the combine. His 33 repetitions of 225 pounds lifted would have ranked No. 1, as well. The vertical jump and broad jump would both rank in the Top 10.

A svelte Cody Grice, a former defensive tackle for the Zips, showed up nearly 30 pounds lighter with an eye toward catching some eyes as a fullback.

“I knew what I wanted to do at the end of the year,” Grice, who played running back at Firestone High School, said. “ I love defense. I love going out there and hitting somebody. I love it to death. I know if I want to have a future, longevity, offense is the way to go.”

JB1's bench press reps are incredible.  33 ties him with Chris Mayes, DT, Georgia and Connor McGovern, OG, Missouri.  Only Christian Westerman, OG, Arizona State bested Jatavis with 34 reps.

What a stud.

More photos at gozips.com

SBNation "...Surprisingly, Akron drew plenty of NFL attention of Friday with 22 teams showing up for the Zips' pro day. The headliner for Akron is linebacker Jatavis Brown, the MAC Defensive Player of the Year who finished his senior season with 10.5 sacks and 17.5 tackles for loss. His 5'11 stature kept him from getting an NFL Combine invite, but he intrigued scouts at a regional combine with a 4.47 40-yard dash, according to John Harris of NFL.com..."

NFL DRAFT DIAMONDS PROSPECT INTERVIEW: ZACH PAUL, P, UNIVERSITY OF AKRON

If you could compare your play to one player in the NFL who would it be and why? ....I would compare my style of punting to my friend Thomas Morestead.  We have similar body types and technical backgrounds. I have generally tried to emulate his punting form since early on in my college career with some tweaks that work better for me individually.