2016-17 Schedule

GoZips

11 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Also on a Saturday night vs a Thursday

We couldn't even get 4k fans to an OOC game against a team that made the final 4 the season prior. A team that was a Cinderella sweetheart. A game that was likely only scheduled because of Shaka Smart's connection to Akron. Good luck finding another Final 4 team that is willing to play in Akron.

Lets say VCU name freshly off a Final 4 run attracted 1k more fans to 1 OOC game, a fair estimate. A team that you would have had to live under a rock the 12 months prior to not recognize. How many fans do you think a Valpo, Northern Iowa, or insert realistic mid-major opponent would attract? I'm going to guess not many.

7 hours ago, K92 said:

etrDS7xi.png

I hope you are referring to the Zips new number twenty-one. Big Mike Hughes will wear that number.

Emmanuel Olojakpoke wears number twenty two. Big Dog still has number twenty-three.

A number change of note: Aaron Jackson now wears number ten. Tavian Dunn-Martin has claimed

number eleven..  

Look for impressive outings from Mike Hughes and Emmanuel Olojakpoke as both have looked good

in practice; as has Daniel Utomi.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 4:52 PM, kreed5120 said:

We couldn't even get 4k fans to an OOC game against a team that made the final 4 the season prior. A team that was a Cinderella sweetheart. A game that was likely only scheduled because of Shaka Smart's connection to Akron. Good luck finding another Final 4 team that is willing to play in Akron.

Actually that game was a return game for the ESPN BracketBusters game from the year before. By contracted rules it had to be scheduled even though both KD and Shaka have and had said they don't like to play against close friends.

I did hate that the attendance wasn't better. Was that game played close to the holidays? I just seem to remember thinking that the game was competing with something that would pull some away and can't recall what that may have been. Not that there was any excuse for not filling the JAR for that one regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

OOC Schedule

2015-16 Akron Men's Basketball Non-Conference Schedule

November 12th - @ YSU (AWAY)

November 17th - vs. American (HOME)

November 20th – vs. Radford, Savannah Event (HOME)

November 22nd – vs. Georgia Southern, Savannah Event (HOME)

November 25th – vs. Air Force, Savannah Event (AWAY)(Neutral Site)

November 26th – vs. East Carolina or Mercer, Savannah Event (AWAY)

November 30th - vs. Adrian (DIII) (HOME)

December 3rd - @ Creighton (AWAY)

December 7th - vs. Coppin St (HOME)

December 10th - @ Gonzaga (AWAY)

December 17th - vs. Marshall (HOME)

December 21st – vs. UC Irvine, Sun Bowl/El Paso Event (AWAY) (Neutral Site)

December 22nd – vs. Maryland-Eastern Shore or UTEP, Sun Bowl Invitational (AWAY)

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

OOC Schedule

2015-16 Akron Men's Basketball Non-Conference Schedule

November 12th - @ YSU (AWAY)

November 17th - vs. American (HOME)

November 20th – vs. Radford, Savannah Event (HOME)

November 22nd – vs. Georgia Southern, Savannah Event (HOME)

November 25th – vs. Air Force, Savannah Event (AWAY)(Neutral Site)

November 26th – vs. East Carolina or Mercer, Savannah Event (AWAY)

November 30th - vs. Adrian (DIII) (HOME)

December 3rd - @ Creighton (AWAY)

December 7th - vs. Coppin St (HOME)

December 10th - @ Gonzaga (AWAY)

December 17th - vs. Marshall (HOME)

December 21st – vs. UC Irvine, Sun Bowl/El Paso Event (AWAY) (Neutral Site)

December 22nd – vs. Maryland-Eastern Shore or UTEP, Sun Bowl Invitational (AWAY)

Average OCC opponent RPI (based on final rankings from the 2015-2016 season)

2015-2016: 185 (plus one D3 game)

2016-2017: 198 (plus one D3 game)

I thought we were getting a better OCC schedule?

<insert disclaimer here>

UC Irvine, who had the 2nd highest RPI last year of the teams we face, a respectable 75th, lost 2 of their top 3 players (1 to graduation the other declared for the draft and is playing in the D-league). Marshall who had the 4th best RPI of any opponent at 128 lost James Kelly, who was easily their best player averaging a 20 10. 

I wouldn't be surprised if these teams combine for a 200+ RPI at seasons end. Ending up anything short of going 11-2 in OOC should be viewed as a disappointment.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

The MAC really needs to set up something with another conference similar to the ACC-B1G challenge every year. That would give us a quality game against a mid major of our caliber that would be home every other season.

I feel the conferences that geographically and competitively make the most sense would be MVC and CAA. CAA might be the more obtainable showdown as I'm not sure Wichita State would want to commit to playing in a a MAC arena every other year. Either conference still poses the problem that 2 MAC teams would be left out.

16 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I feel the conferences that geographically and competitively make the most sense would be MVC and CAA. CAA might be the more obtainable showdown as I'm not sure Wichita State would want to commit to playing in a a MAC arena every other year. Either conference still poses the problem that 2 MAC teams would be left out.

Not an issue in my book. If the bottom feeders don't want left out, get better.