Jatavis Brown's NFL Draft Position

Jatavis Brown's Draft Team and Round  

29 members have voted

1. 1. When will Jatavis be drafted? Be as specific as you'd like.

• Round #1: 1 thru 31
    • Round #2: 32 thru 63
    • Round #3: 64 thru 98
    • Round #4: 99 thru 139
    • Round #5: 140 thru 175
    • Round #6: 176 thru 221
    • Round #7: 221+
    • Undrafted FA (please specify the team)

This poll is closed to new votes

44 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

Round 4, pick 99 to the Browns.

That's EXACTLY where one of the Mock Draft's I read this morning have him going. 

I'd love to see him play for the Browns, simply because we'd get to see him, and our local Cleveland media wouldn't be able to avoid talking about the Akron Football. 

But, although he'd probably have more opportunities to shine in Cleveland, I'd feel bad for him that he ended up with such a dysfunctional and horrible team.

Looking around on various NFL discussion boards and Reddit, I've seen interest in him as a sleeper from quite a few fans of various teams. Lots of team-specific mock drafts have him going anywhere between the 4th and 7th round. But he's on the radar of enough teams that I think that he'll go earlier than expected and that any team hoping for him to drop very far and get him as a late sleeper will be disappointed.

The Cleveland Browns will draft him in the 4th Round if he hasn't gone by then already.  The Browns are weak on Defense, and we should see them add a CB, S, DT and a LB or Two in this draft alone.  IMHO it depends on what the Browns do at 8.  If they go offense, there's a better chance IMO, that they could pick him up.  The Browns currently have 12 picks; 1,2,3,3,4,4,4,5,5,5,6,7.  I don't see them picking 12 people, but it is analytics after all.

I'm guessing this is what JB is hearing in his pre draft meetings. What teams have a history of being creative on defense? I hope he gets his wish. 

“Honestly, I’d like to see a team create a position for me. Not quite a linebacker, not quite a safety but use me and be creative,” Brown told

Speed of former Glades Central player Jatavis Brown could be ticket to NFL

Here are all the pre draft visits listed. Four teams had JB in for an official private meeting; Rams, KC, SD and Pitt.

3 hours ago, Dr Z said:

“Honestly, I’d like to see a team create a position for me. Not quite a linebacker, not quite a safety but use me and be creative,” Brown told

That's the Troy Polamalu role in Pittsburgh, and damn are they hurting at safety.

2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Very reminiscent of the Jason Taylor draft. On the radar, talked about a lot, but considered undersized for his position. IIRC he went in round 3. The rest is history.

True.  All it took was one guy (Jimmy Johnson) to see his ability to get into the backfield.  Hopefully Jatavis has that coach out there who feels the same way about his ability.   

15 minutes ago, InTheZone said:

That's the Troy Polamalu role in Pittsburgh, and damn are they hurting at safety.

I wonder why this has not come up yet.  JB's abilities would seem to be a great fit for something like a "Rover" position, just like Polamalu.  But it doesn't seem as if NFL defenses commonly have someone playing that role. 

Round #3   I feel like it could be any one of four teams. Indianapolis, Baltimore, New Orleans or Jacksonville. I'm mostly leaning toward Indy because they need both an Outside Linebacker and Free Safety. Considering that a lot of NFL teams aren't sold on Jatavis being a true LB due to his size, many think of him as a possible Safety which means Indy could do some experimenting.

51 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

...doesn't seem as if NFL defenses commonly have someone playing that role. 

Ever see Deone Bucannon play? He excels at it. Mark Barron for the Rams....who had a private meeting with JB. I've heard the Patriots coach talk multiple times how they like to scheme with hybrids. I think Seattle would be a great defense for JB, but as far as I can tell, the interest isn't there. 

For those that care what Mel Kiper has to say (I don't), he lists JB at number 247. If there are 246 better college football players in this draft, I missed a LOT of good football last year. But I don't think I did. 

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Ever see Deone Bucannon play? He excels at it. Mark Barron for the Rams....who had a private meeting with JB. I've heard the Patriots coach talk multiple times how they like to scheme with hybrids. I think Seattle would be a great defense for JB, but as far as I can tell, the interest isn't there. 

Thanks for the additional info.  I surely don't think I see that LB/DB or "Rover" player like we've seen over the year in college ball.  Although, I don't even think I have seen the actual term "Rover" used in years.  In the NFL (at least in terminology) you seem to see LBs, CBs and Safeties.   So I guess we all have to wonder if someone who's skills are "In Between" gets anything more than limited interest?

Speaking of "Rover".  Does everyone remember John Mackey?  Back in the mid-90s I think he was listed as playing that particular position.  He was sometimes a 5th DB, but lined up as an LB on many plays as well.  Really tough, hard-nosed, classic type of player.  He was fun to watch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Thanks for the additional info.  I surely don't think I see that LB/DB or "Rover" player like we've seen over the year in college ball.  Although, I don't even think I have seen the actual term "Rover" used in years.  In the NFL (at least in terminology) you seem to see LBs, CBs and Safeties.   So I guess we all have to wonder if someone who's skills are "In Between" gets anything more than limited interest?

Speaking of "Rover".  Does everyone remember John Mackey?  Back in the mid-90s I think he was listed as playing that particular position.  He was sometimes a 5th DB, but lined up as an LB on many plays as well.  Really tough, hard-nosed, classic type of player.  He was fun to watch. 

Yes, I remember watching John Mackey and I agree, he was fun to watch. He was listed as "Rover".

20 hours ago, skip-zip said:

You're about a decade off there skip, John played from 2003-2007, was a big part of that 2005 MAC Championship team.  But I agree, great player who didn't really fit a traditional position, but he was fun to watch at that Rover spot in the 3-3-5.

Edited by InTheZone

2 hours ago, InTheZone said:

....fun to watch at that Rover spot in the 3-3-5.

Nothing against JM (because he was a talent), but my memories of the 3-3-5 are much different. "Can't recruit DL in the MAC"....psshhhhtt, yeah right. 

I like the entertainment value these guys bring. I think they have a lot to do with this thread topic. 

00d32a58f2c915cab035ca9f34cbe3d3.jpg

Oh 

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

Nothing against JM (because he was a talent), but my memories of the 3-3-5 are much different. "Can't recruit DL in the MAC"....psshhhhtt, yeah right. 

I like the entertainment value these guys bring. I think they have a lot to do with this thread topic. 

Oh I'd never argue the 3-3-5 was a great scheme, I liked watching guys like Chevin Pace and Mackey in that Rover spot.  I would've certainly traded that for a 4-3 or a competently run 3-4 with good subpackages. 

• Like 1