Jatavis Brown's NFL Draft Position

Jatavis Brown's Draft Team and Round  

29 members have voted

1. 1. When will Jatavis be drafted? Be as specific as you'd like.

• Round #1: 1 thru 31
    • Round #2: 32 thru 63
    • Round #3: 64 thru 98
    • Round #4: 99 thru 139
    • Round #5: 140 thru 175
    • Round #6: 176 thru 221
    • Round #7: 221+
    • Undrafted FA (please specify the team)

This poll is closed to new votes

Congrats to JB on being drafted!!!!! Went back and forth waiting to here what the NFL Network and ESPN guys had to say about him. Mike Mayock and Todd McShay LOVES him.

Todd McShay said he believes this could be one of the steals of this draft. Loved him since he put the tape in, and knew he would go in the mid round.

Mike Mayock said the only difference he sees between Deion Jones(who went in 2nd round at #52 from LSU to the Falcons) and Jatavius Brown is one played in the SEC and the other played in the MAC.

So excited for you JB and I know you'll represent yourself, your family, and the Akron Zip family well. Congrats, and best of luck in San Diego!

Edited by mes102
Clarification

Chargers take speedy Akron linebacker

Jatavis Brown was MAC's defensive player of the year

By Tom Krasovic | 

Chargers draftee Jatavis Brown is a speedy, versatile linebacker --- traits that are increasingly popular in the pass-happy NFL.

Brown has 4.52 speed in the 40-yard dash, identical to Chargers running back Melvin Gordon, the 15th pick last year.

As a weakside linebacker, Brown amassed huge tackling numbers for Akron. He had 12 sacks last year and was named Mid-American Conference defensive player of the year.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/apr/30/chargers-jatavis-brown-akron-draft/

• Like 1

On April 30, 2016 at 10:51 PM, K92 said:

Mike Maycock knows jackshit. 

Interesting story.

GT of the BJ writes...Jatavis Brown on Saturday became the first linebacker from the University of Akron ever selected in the NFL Draft.

Interview with Chargers dot com.

Chargers.com: How would you describe your game as a linebacker?  Have the Chargers discussed how they would use you?

Brown: I’m very intense.  I like to compete and fly around and make plays.  I’m a playmaker.   They told me they would use me as a dime backer.  In a 4-3, I play outside but in a 3-4 I can play inside.

FULL story found here.

Bell Glades, Florida has a population just shy of 18,000. Located in the southeastern portion of the Sunshine State, Travis Benjamin grew up just two houses down from the Chargers fifth round draft pick, Jatavis Brown. The two played in the same little league system as Brown looked up to Benjamin, who is four years his elder.  In high school, Benjamin was a gridiron star as a senior when Brown was just getting started on the JV squad. Going to college in nearby Miami, the wide receiver kept tabs on the outside linebacker while the rising high school star watched his hometown hero make his mark with the Hurricanes. In 2012, the Cleveland Browns selected Benjamin in the fourth round of the NFL Draft.  That same year, Brown began his collegiate career at nearby Akron.  Less than an hour apart, the pair continued to keep tabs on each other.

ChkaeyWUkAAatXl.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

FULL story found here.

Bell Glades, Florida has a population just shy of 18,000. Located in the southeastern portion of the Sunshine State, Travis Benjamin grew up just two houses down from the Chargers fifth round draft pick, Jatavis Brown. The two played in the same little league system as Brown looked up to Benjamin, who is four years his elder.  In high school, Benjamin was a gridiron star as a senior when Brown was just getting started on the JV squad. Going to college in nearby Miami, the wide receiver kept tabs on the outside linebacker while the rising high school star watched his hometown hero make his mark with the Hurricanes. In 2012, the Cleveland Browns selected Benjamin in the fourth round of the NFL Draft.  That same year, Brown began his collegiate career at nearby Akron.  Less than an hour apart, the pair continued to keep tabs on each other.

I read this article earlier, but wasn't able to put it on ZipsNation at the time. Great article. Funny how their relationship never came up before considering Benjamin was playing for the Browns.

Chargers Linebacker's Expectations (lots of video examples in the article)

...I don't blame you if you're not familiar with Brown, he did play at Akron. A lot of the guys that I share ideas with back and forth on Twitter that watch a ton of draft players were enamored with Brown. Loved him. "He's what Myles Jack was supposed to be." "A steal." "I would've taken him in the 3rd round." Tom Telesco echoed that when Brown was drafted and said he received multiple texts from friends around the league saying it was a great pick...

...The reason he was available this late is because of his missed tackles and his size. He is 5'11 and 227 pounds. I don't get the big deal with his size considering he had 20 tackles for loss and 12 sacks. It's not like the 2015 MAC player of the year wasn't productive. Watching him, sure he got ate up when he was 1-on-1 with an offensive lineman at times, but that happens to guys 20 pounds heavier than him as well...

...Adding an above average athlete is one thing. Adding an above average athlete and football player is another. The Chargers did that. I imagine of all the draft picks he'll take the longest to adjust, but he might have the highest ceiling after Bosa. Some of the big draft media have mentioned if you have a plan for Brown, this could be the steal of the draft...

SIGNED

• Like 2

On April 26, 2016 at 11:14 AM, Dr Z said:

Ever see Deone Bucannon play? He excels at it. Mark Barron for the Rams....who had a private meeting with JB. I've heard the Patriots coach talk multiple times how they like to scheme with hybrids. I think Seattle would be a great defense for JB, but as far as I can tell, the interest isn't there.  For those that care what Mel Kiper has to say (I don't), he lists JB at number 247. If there are 246 better college football players in this draft, I missed a LOT of good football last year. But I don't think I did. 

Add another hybrid to the growing list. I think JB hit the NFL at the correct time. I'm excited to see if SD can use his skills creatively. 

2 hours ago, akron4ever said:

He acts like it's a burden to cover the program, it's absolutely ridiculous. If he wants a better job, then he should start with being good at his current job.

No kidding.  Just a little inside story about his childhood, from a San Diego writer who's only known who Jatavis is for a couple of weeks. 

Maybe paying attention to a few more Akron games and a few less OSWho games would be advised.