Should Akron Seek Another Conference?

GoZips

The unsportsmanlike conduct has gone to far. Nasty has driven several high quality posters off the board. Your

childish and unkind behavior is destroying ZipsNation.

I try to give a look inside the team. I actually have access. If smart ass sniping is your meat you will destroy

ZipsNation.

Thirty years ago people similar to yourselves whined that the Zips were not good enough to join the MAC.

Many people who lacked vision wanted to stay in the Ohio Athletic Conference. The OAC kicked Akron out.

The university is well aware of the need to go up and out of the MAC. The MAC no longer fits for Akron.

Nothing against the MAC. It is a fine One A conference. It just no longer is the best fit for Akron.

Sports finances should improve by upgrading to a better conference. That is important. There is a need to

generate more revenue. P5 type conferences generate more revenue and allow their members to participate

in more sports at less cost to those universities.

It is high time that posters on ZipsNation make some positive contributions to the discussions.

I, for one, have a fair bit of quality information that needs to be shared with members of ZipsNation. I am

reluctant to share this good information because everything is negative, a joke and spun to insult.

I am tired of being ridiculed and made the butt of sorry jokes. I see that recently a young poster who has

in the past held a positive attitude has turned into a sour, nasty poster like many of you are. What a shame.

Like I stated, I WILL report EVERY nasty uncalled for post from here on out. ZipsNation has become a sewer.

• Like 2

Many schools have more than one forum.  Why don't you see what it takes to become a moderator at the MACbbs and activate the Akron board there?  Perhaps high quality posters will flock to a board you moderate.

58 minutes ago, K92 said:

Many schools have more than one forum.  Why don't you see what it takes to become a moderator at the MACbbs and activate the Akron board there?  Perhaps high quality posters will flock to a board you moderate.

That is a kind suggestion. I doubt I have time to do that. I know one of the moderators on this board.

It requires a lot of work. For me, basketball is my prime interest. I have contact with Jody and Keith.

I am probably going to run the clocks for practice again this Fall. We had our last one-on-one

workout today until June.

You will be pleasantly surprised by Big Dog's conditioning.

1 hour ago, GoZips said:

The unsportsmanlike conduct has gone to far. Nasty has driven several high quality posters off the board. Your

I try to give a look inside the team. I actually have access. If smart ass sniping is your meat you will destroy

ZipsNation.

Thirty years ago people similar to yourselves whined that the Zips were not good enough to join the MAC.

Many people who lacked vision wanted to stay in the Ohio Athletic Conference. The OAC kicked Akron out.

The university is well aware of the need to go up and out of the MAC. The MAC no longer fits for Akron.

Nothing against the MAC. It is a fine One A conference. It just no longer is the best fit for Akron.

Sports finances should improve by upgrading to a better conference. That is important. There is a need to

generate more revenue. P5 type conferences generate more revenue and allow their members to participate

It is high time that posters on ZipsNation make some positive contributions to the discussions.

I, for one, have a fair bit of quality information that needs to be shared with members of ZipsNation. I am

reluctant to share this good information because everything is negative, a joke and spun to insult.

I am tired of being ridiculed and made the butt of sorry jokes. I see that recently a young poster who has

in the past held a positive attitude has turned into a sour, nasty poster like many of you are. What a shame.

Like I stated, I WILL report EVERY nasty uncalled for post from here on out. ZipsNation has become a sewer.

I think that you have mistaken the people on ZNO for being idiots. You come on here and post things and when people question things, you turn to name calling and act like some contributors have no clue. The problem is, there are contributors on ZNO that actually do have ties to U of A, do have inside information on athletics and know more than you think.

I am 99% certain that part of your post was directed at me. That's fine. Count me in the group that calls you out on some things. In no way do I try to spin anything and I never "insulted" you until a couple weeks ago when you called us idiots. To me, your sly remarks in your posts towards the members, started the lack of respect against you. You simply don't like it when people disagree with you. 

Don'y try to spin this that WE are the morons that know nothing. WE aren't the one who is in the inside of the program that knows more than anyone else on ZNO about MBB and posted something that Mrs Dambrot had to correct because it wasn't true.

I'd absolutely love it if we were able to join a P5 conference. I enjoy the MAC, but I believe that's just because I'm such s huge Akron fan. I'm not sure we'll ever really win the attention of Joe Akron while competing in the MAC. It's just not taken seriously enough on a national level. We'd be a good fit for the AAC and have a natural rivalry with Cincy.

I could see how Akron would be an attractive option if it had the full support of northeast Ohio. The problem is like it or not NEO is Buckeye country. I don't see that changing anytime soon, even if we were to join a larger conference.

Edited by kreed5120

If Akron can convince a P5 conference that we are worthy, then that opportunity needs to be pounced on. I just don't see that happening any time soon. We have awful football attendance and a small, not very good arena. I don't see what Akron offers a better conference other than a great soccer program and a pretty good track program. Neither of those brings in enough money to play any role in the discussion.

Good to see the positive responses and interest in upgrading.

Lots of valid concerns and suggestions.

Probably the best attribute the Zips have to offer is the market.

Cleveland-Akron has no major college sports program. Akron

could fill that gap.

A fair number of P5 schools have basketball arenas the size of

the JAR. Putting some lipstick on our "pig" gives Akron some

time regarding the arena.

Fortunately Infocision is expandable. Again, time No need to expand

for a few years. It is a good point worth planning around.

TV exposure and revenue from TV and conference bowl games

could pump a lot of money into Akron sports.

We could enjoy teasing our Bucky neighbors about stepping up

and playing Akron in Akron. Small, yet fun point.

Having a plan, a goal, and a vision help secure a better future.

Keep up the good ideas.

12 hours ago, GoZips said:

ZipsNation.

@GoZips I would point out to you that you need to clean up your act as well. Listening to you berate our Mens Soccer players and head coach last Fall during one of the MAC Tournament games until another fan confronted you was totally ridiculous. He did so in a very calm and professional manner and your response to him was continued negativity. I was happy when you chose to watch that match from elsewhere in the stadium. You didn't come across as a Zips fan on that occasion among others that I've witnessed. I'm not going to take the time to go back and review your posts and responses to which you are taking offense, but I add to the recommendation that likely cleaning up your experience on ZN.o begins with you.

Feel free to call me out if you'd like on past negativity. I'm far from guiltless; others have called me out in the past for being so negative in some of these threads. I've tried hard not to be so in recent months. Sometimes it is very difficult when you shake your head at the direction that UA athletic department staff chooses to go. In those cases, I just try hard not to post anything.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

The problem is like it or not NEO is Buckeye country. I don't see that changing anytime soon, even if we were to join a larger conference.

I bet some people may have said that about Cincinnati about 20 years ago, until they made some moves, got competitive on a National level, their radio stations stopped airing Suckeye games, and the local people started displaying some pride in their school.  Today, the culture down there is so anti-Suckeye, it's hilarious.  They mock the Suckeyes. NE Ohio has the potential to be very similar.  As someone pointed out, there's NO Power 5 team here.  OSWho, Pitt and WV are all a good enough distance away.  

But without making a long post here this morning addressing every factor that's been discussed internally and externally over the years, the real attribute for us is indeed the Media Market.  Cleveland/Akron/Canton is somewhere between the 18-20 ranking in media markets in the nation, depending on what ranking you see.  And we'd be the first in that market to be in a major conference. 

But our residents have also been bypassing the simplest way that we can make an impact on this.  As I've said for years on this board, WE need to show our potential as a fan base to get behind our program.  Occupying seats in the football and basketball facilities tells a conference that there's enough potential to draw television audiences, which draws advertisers, which makes money for the conference.  And frankly, we fail to show that potential.  NE Ohioans would jump onto the Zips Train in a second if we were to make a move like this, but I don't see them supporting the Zips with only the hope that we can make such a move. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

Any P5 conference would take Cincinnati and/or other AAC schools before us. Our best hope would be for the AAC to take a couple of MAC schools if/when they get raided and continue to grow that way.

I may have had a brain freeze on my prior post.  I thought the AAC was a P5 conference.

1. Big Ten

2. ACC

3. SEC

4. Big 12

5. Pac-10

You're right.  Disregard my above point about being a perfect fit for the AAC - if we're limiting our discussion to the P5.

Blue & Gold, by all means please include the AAC.

They are one of two conferences that the Zips have

the best opportunity to join. The other conference

is the negatistas favorite "we can't join them".

Sad. Same crowd that whined that the Zips could

not make it in the MAC. A fine conference that the

Zips have out grown.

• Like 1

1. Move to another conference?  UofA can barely afford to remain in the MAC and has VERY LIMITED financial and fan support.

2. Students don't care about attending athletic events - even when the teams win.  BB ball and soccer - can't get 2000 to attend for 2 hours.

3. UofA needs to develope a connection between students and teams if they believe athletics is an asset and will attract new students.

4. How can this disconnect be repaired or more accurately stated, established?

5. How KD & staff have been able to recruit in the players is amazing.  The players attend because of the staff/winning; not because of the JAR w/15 students & 2000 fans  

6. Short term cure invest more $ in the BB team/program to assist with travel costs for recruiting a larger region and improved travel arrangements vs out of state opponents.

7. Long term cure: fix the disconnect between the students and the gameday experience and continue winning.

8. Even if LBJ pays for an arena, there will still be 2000-3000 in attendance until the BB program has the consistent funds to compete in a bigger pond.

• Like 1

GoZips,

Speaking out of pure curiosity, do you know what the conference money difference would be between the AAC and the MAC?  

It seems obvious that if we ever get any chance to join a P5 conference, we should take it immediately!  Immediate monetary gains and a possibly re-invigorated fanbase seems like it would make a huge difference.  

Going to a different G5 conference is not so obvious a move in my eyes.  While it could certainly help raise the quality of competition, would it REALLY help our scheduling?  Or provide enough money to justify the larger travel expenses?  If so, then that's great.  Akron needs a way to stand out from the other Universities around Ohio!  However, if this is another cash sink rather than increased revenue (assuming fan interest remains roughly even), then I would be hesitant to make that move.

From outside appearances, an invitation to the AAC or C-USA seems like a mostly lateral move, which could end up being a cash sink.  An invite to the B12, B10, or ACC seems like an impossible dream.  Does somebody more tapped in to the monetary side of college sports have additional insight? 

45 minutes ago, GoZips said:

Sad. Same crowd that whined that the Zips could

not make it in the MAC. A fine conference that the

Zips have out grown.

I just can't see how a big conference would accept Akron when it can't consistently draw 10k+ for football and only fills it's 5500 basketball arena a few times a year. If Akron could develop a legitimate following and the community and students embraced the athletics, it could grow into something as the Cleveland-Akron-Canton area is a very large market. I just feel Akron has to prove it has fans before we get accepted over safer expansion picks.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GoZips said:

ZipsNation.

Let's start here: How is this going to destroy this site? Compared to the CSN Boards, this is Paradise. Placing blame on us(and not yourself, because we are all guilty of that), is a very condescending and  an Holier than Thou attitude. If you got information, let's hear it..

Thirty years ago was a different time and you know that. Moving up and going Independent long term could have been a Death Sentence and I am thankful that the MAC threw us a bone.

You can say that about 1/3 the teams in the Country. It is not just an Akron thing. Do they need to go somewhere else? Sure, but where that is not named C-USA? You mentioned ACC in another Thread: If we get in, we will the the "Last Bus of the Night" into the P5. All of us would love it

That is common Knowledge

I will give you this: Last year when the Fire Bowden Thread started, I openly blasted posters, which I never do. IMHO, the Cleveland Sports Mentality infested the site at times, which was never here for the longest time. Like I said, if you got information, let's hear it! 

That is the "Taking my Ball and going home" or "You must agree with me 100% of the time, or Else" attitude. I know for a FACT this site has some great posters, however some people have left(Like GP1). It comes and goes all of the time. If you don't want to be ridiculed, then stop acting like a Troll with "I have information", and then be condescending about it.

Edited by lance99
  • Like 3

IMHO, if offered, we should jump at a move to the AAC.

Nothing here you can't easily google but I'm bored this a.m.

AAC:

UCF

Cincy

UConn

ECU

Houston 

Memphis

Navy

USF

SMU

Temple

Tulane

Tulsa

It's simply personal preference, but there are really only two schools out of that group which kinda make me just shrug my shoulders: ECU & Tulsa (though Tulsa has great soccer.)  

I honestly do enjoy our current rivalries with Ohio, K.e.n.t & Buffalo and our blooming rivalries with NIU & Toledo.  But again, I'm not sure but it may just be because I'm a huge Zips fan that I enjoy those rivalries.

I do know that we need to do something to distinguish ourselves from the other MAC schools in the state.  There are just too many of them.  Off the top of my head, I think I remember reading that Ohio has the 2nd highest number of D-1 football schools in the country, trailing only Texas.  For a state who's population is shrinking, that's just too many.  We need to stand out.  A move to another conference (even Conference USA, let alone the AAC, and the ACC pipe dream) would do that.

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

Speaking out of pure curiosity, do you know what the conference money difference would be between the AAC and the MAC?  

The only real difference is 1 Million extra they get because of their Basketball(2 Million Total).