LePear Toles Commits to Akron

ABJ: Canton's LePear Toles commits to play basketball at the University of Akron starting in the 2018-2019 season

This is why I love following & recruiting the local kids: “Akron has a winning culture,” Toles said. “They have won at least 21 games the last 12 years, and it is home."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2017 at 7:11 AM, Blue & Gold said:

“Akron has a winning culture,” Toles said. “They have won at least 21 games the last 12 years, and it is home."

Every time I've gone to this page over the last month, and see this quote again from Mr. Toles, I keep wondering why those who keep pounding away at the long string of high-win seasons as "boring", "same old story", or "doesn't mean anything" haven't commented?

• Haha 1

I don't recall....ever....defending anything Keith accomplished here on the basis that he's "An Akron Guy".

But apparently you came here to hammer on Keith (or me) instead of commenting about my post, which asked why some detractors have nothing to say after a recruit that we landed clearly stated that Akron's long history of high-win seasons was a big factor.  

6 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I don't recall....ever....defending anything Keith accomplished here on the basis that he's "An Akron Guy".

But apparently you came here to hammer on Keith (or me) instead of commenting about my post, which asked why some detractors have nothing to say after a recruit that we landed clearly stated that Akron's long history of high-win seasons was a big factor.  

Its a great quote and all but we are talking about a player who Akron tried to recruit out of high school and he repeatedly turned us down. He went to 2 different junior colleges before committing. Sounds like the 21 wins seasons didn't exactly set his heart on fire. Quite the coincidence that he finally committed right after Dambrot left and the Zips are heading into a "down" year. Either he is settling hard, or the 21 win seasons isn't actually what convinced him. 

9 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Every time I've gone to this page over the last month, and see this quote again from Mr. Toles, I keep wondering why those who keep pounding away at the long string of high-win seasons as "boring", "same old story", or "doesn't mean anything" haven't commented?

Imagine if we would have actually beaten someone worth a darn in that time span, or won an NCAA tournament game. We would've had people saying, "Yes," the first time we asked them to come play for Akron. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/29/2017 at 6:27 PM, Blue & Gold said:

Sweet.  I've been following him for 3 years now hoping he'd don the blue & gold.

He really seems like a quality guy.

#GoZips  #ImComingHome

:rock:

I share your enthusiasm for this guy and for pretty much the same reason I think, his versatility. I know he wanted better offers out of high school, but I am baffled as to why this guy wasn't already playing D1 ball somewhere. Groce doesn't always land the guy he wants, but he's been a pretty solid talent evaluator. I personally want to see Toles on the court with other D1 talent to see how his speed and agility holds up, but I think the sky's the limit for him. Parrish is the other Zip I believe to have an extremely high ceiling.

:rock: 

@Illini Zip, all good questions regarding LePear...

I know this topic has likely been covered at some point and it doesn't belong in this thread. But since it's slow today maybe some of you will humor me and answer my questions about Lepear Toles. He is from your general area, has anybody watched him play in person, thoughts? I think he's a steal from the clips I see. There is no way he is a 2 star prospect in my opinion. He is 6'-6" with smooth guard skills. I see him playing 1 through 3, possibly the 4. Groce has used shooting guards and small forwards to initiate the offense in the past so it's not an impossibility for him to play the point. Tony Carr at Penn State, point guard - 6'-5", is a nightmare for small guards. Also, does anyone know why Toles went the military academy and junior college route? Grades perhaps? Did he have any good offers coming out of high school? Finally, does he have 3 years of eligibility left starting next year?

I would appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Yes, LePear is from Canton, which is a neighboring city to the south of Akron, less than 20-minutes away.  I saw LePear play, oh, maybe four times while he was in high school.  I always enjoy following the local guys, so I was hoping we'd sign him coming out of high school.

His game reminds me of Eric Parrish.  I'd say he's not quite as athletic as Eric, but a slightly better ball handler.  He was always know for his outside shot in high school, but really started blowing up when he became more aggressive driving to the hoop.  He's also a pretty good passer.  As you mentioned, I'd like to see him try to run the point.  He was part-time PG in high school, but McKinley had another nice guard named Darryl Straughter who was only 5'8" & was also an excellent PG so LePear usually played off the ball.  

LePear is a versatile player.  He lets the game come to him & doesn't normally force things.  Sometimes in high school I wished he had forced the issue more, but he's a good team player.  In the state playoffs his senior year he finally developed the attitude of "Give me the d@mn ball and get out of my way."  He led McKinley to the state quarter finals before losing a close game to eventual state champion Lima Senior.  

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Thanks 1

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 9:53 PM, lilroodude said:

Imagine if we would have actually beaten someone worth a darn in that time span, or won an NCAA tournament game. We would've had people saying, "Yes," the first time we asked them to come play for Akron. ;)wow, are you really that angry over K.D. leaving? If you actually believe those 21 win seasons had little or no impact on recruiting, just check on what sold Noah on Akron ? (He was the #1 recruit in the state of Nevada), or look up Zeke or Antonio and why they chose Akron and you may begin to understand the importance of a winning tradition. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...