Stark State to build at Perkins & Route 8

I wanted to see an arena there, with a proper parking area surrounding it. Still, I think this will be good for both the city and UA.

How does this benefit UA? By further cementing the area east of Downtown as an area of higher education in people's minds. Maybe even planting the idea of Akron as a really big college town. We could see more college-oriented businesses pop up on the north side of campus, which needs new development more than the south side does now. Also, it helps students that might not have gone to UA because of the newly implemented higher admission standards. Now they can go to Stark, and transfer into Akron with an associates degree, and UA doesn't have to sink money into offering as many basic gen-ed courses as they do.

Stark State is good about partnering with local businesses to develop technical programs.  Several of those are already Akron companies, like First Energy.  So if demand dictated, you could see some of that moving up here and developing additional degree related programs with UA. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is Stark State a four year college?

If not does Akron allow "seemless" transfer from Stark to Akron, ala Lorain CCC?

If so I can see this as a big positive for students that don't want to go to the Polsky, or out to Wayne/Medina/Lakewood.

• 2 years later...
20 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

I don't know that they ever had one, even though they shared a campus space in N. Canton.

The school down in Jackson used to be called "Kent State Stark County". Or Kent State Stark CC.  Not that long ago.  I remember the Rowdies pulled a stunt where they called KSU and requested tix to Kent-Akron men's bb game at Kent, pretending to be students from Stark CC.  Think they gave them prime seats, and after they arrived they opened their coats to reveal their Rowdies shirts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1