Jason Taylor - First Ballot Hall of Famer

MDZip

14 minutes ago, LZIp said:

To add...I wonder what (if any) relationship the program has with him and how said relationship is leveraged. I would imagine walking into a South FL recruit's home with an NFL Hall of Famer from Akron and Miami Dolphin legend is a quick way to get their attention. Then again...kids graduating high school now probably don't remember seeing him play.

I have always wondered the same.  It is almost as if he has distanced himself.....I dunno.  Really stupid for the school to not have close ties with our only professional HOFer.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

To add...I wonder what (if any) relationship the program has with him and how said relationship is leveraged. I would imagine walking into a South FL recruit's home with an NFL Hall of Famer from Akron and Miami Dolphin legend is a quick way to get their attention. Then again...kids graduating high school now probably don't remember seeing him play.

I'd bet that they still would remember his NFL career.  That, alone, would have value in the fact that they can say...."You know this guy?....he played at Akron".

I actually find the same thing with people I know that aren't Akron fans.  I can't count how many times he was on TV, and I would tell people "He's a Zip", and they'd say, "I didn't know that".   I was even in the Hall of Fame once walking around with a high school football coach, and there was a display the year Jason was Defensive MVP, and I had to tell him that he played at Akron.  You'd think more people would know.  

By the way, I was looking for an article today in the ABJ, and there was a small article on the BACK PAGE of the sports section, which was actually just the AP story.  And it talked about the entire HOF class, with a special mention to Tomlinson in the article title.   I think they can do much better than that.  :wall:    Maybe they still will do something.  Who knows.  I wonder what they would have done if it was a former OSWho player who was just inducted?

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Pretty sure that's not allowed

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

By the way, I was looking for an article today in the ABJ, and there was a small article on the BACK PAGE of the sports section, which was actually just the AP story.  And it talked about the entire HOF class, with a special mention to Tomlinson in the article title.   I think they can do much better than that.  :wall:    Maybe they still will do something.  Who knows.  I wonder what they would have done if it was a former OSWho player who was just inducted?

I believe Canton's paper's whole front page was dedicated to the class. I did not know Taylor played at UA until I myself began attending there. Maybe it will help get their attention, and thats a good thing since it is so close. I don't see much effect though. But I guess any publicity is good publicity, especially when its just 15 minutes South and a pretty big deal.

Edited by LZIp

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

It's probably a bigger deal to our south FL recruits. It would be nice to feature a special event with him on one of our big recruiting events and feature posters and photos of him on our social media and in jet locations for recruiting. 

• Like 1

Jason Taylor played for Akron before today's recruits were born.  His legend would resonate much more with late 30s early 40s alums than it would with 17-18 year old kids.  We need him to stir up fan interest, not influence recruits.  Sadly, kids care more about uniforms. 

Edited by K92
  • Like 2

I agree Jason Taylor playing at Akron 20+ years ago will have little to no effect on recruiting. Everyone that coached and recruited him is long gone and perhaps retired. What will impact it is if we are able to produce Jatavis Brown type players. Guys that weren't highly recruited out of high school which Akron helped them not only get drafted, but become productive players in the NFL.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I agree Jason Taylor playing at Akron 20+ years ago will have little to no effect on recruiting. Everyone that coached and recruited him is long gone and perhaps retired. What will impact it is if we are able to produce Jatavis Brown type players. Guys that weren't highly recruited out of high school which Akron helped them not only get drafted, but become productive players in the NFL.

That would be the very definition of Jason Taylor :-)

• Like 1

Just now, MDZip said:

That would be the very definition of Jason Taylor :-)

It definitely is. The people at Akron that helped him become who he is are long gone however. Players need to know Akron today can produce NFL players. Not just a place that produces a relevant football player once every 20 years. Brown was great this past season and perhaps Lane will take off next season. Just need to keep that trend continuing.

I have to disagree with the notion that putting players, especially good players in the NFL has no effect on recruiting. Urban Meyer loves promoting it. Even though most will never make it, players want to go somewhere that they think can get them to the NFL.

38 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I have to disagree with the notion that putting players, especially good players in the NFL has no effect on recruiting. Urban Meyer loves promoting it. Even though most will never make it, players want to go somewhere that they think can get them to the NFL.

Sure it does when you put stars into the league every year.  Very few schools are in that situation.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2017 at 9:29 AM, kreed5120 said:

HoF voting in both football and baseball is flawed. Griffey should have been an unanimous selection in baseball, but wasn't because a handful of dudes think nobody should be since Cobb and Ruth weren't 50+ years ago. Not to mention they are holding out the best pitcher and hitter of my childhood (Bonds and Clemens). TO should already be in the HoF, but some 60 year old dudes took offense to him signing signing a football with a sharpie.

Mike Golic was saying this morning T.O. was better than anyone else in this year's elected class. He mentioned J.T. was not one of the all-time best DL's. I wonder if Mr. Golic realizes JT's 139.5 sacks is good for #7 all-time, ahead of names like Lawrence Taylor and Derrick Thomas?

Edited by ZippyRulz

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Just look at our soccer team.  We are to soccer what OSU/Bama are to football.  It absolutely helps!!!

31 minutes ago, a-zip said:

Just look at our soccer team.  We are to soccer what OSU/Bama are to football.  It absolutely helps!!!

Do we really want to turn recruiting battles into which team has done the better job of churning out productive NFL players? Unless we are competing with FCS schools for recruits, I feel that is a battle we will lose. Brown was our 1st player since Reggie Corner in 2008 to be drafted. We've only had 7 players total drafted since Taylor in '97. Excluding Brown, who so far looks legit, the other 6 were all busts.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/akron/drafted.htm

Edited by kreed5120

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Urban is the one that put them in the pros. When Bowden is getting players into the league regularly you bet he will and should promote it. But no one at Akron right now had anything to do with Taylor

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Urban is the one that put them in the pros. When Bowden is getting players into the league regularly you bet he will and should promote it. But no one at Akron right now had anything to do with Taylor

Urban and OSU were promoting Nate Ebner last night. A player that Meyer did not coach and a career special teamer at that. Frankly, not trying to use anything and everything you can as leverage is negligence in my book. Its odd to me that those most critical of Bowden on here are downplaying using something to try to gain an advantage.

2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Mike Golic was saying this morning T.O. was better than anyone else in this year's elected class. He mentioned J.T. was not one of the all-time best DL's. I wonder if Mr. Golic realizes JT's 139.5 sacks is good for #7 all-time, ahead of names like Lawrence Taylor and Derrick Thomas?

...says the guy with 11.5 sacks in 8 seasons...

My two cents: Looking at Wikipedia, TO appears to have a more extensive set of statistics, but JT seems to do better on character

Jason Taylor, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Taylor_(American_football)

5 Personal Life

5.1 Foundation

Terrell Owens, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Owens

5 Controversy

5.1 Controversy with Eagles

5.2 Desperate Housewives skit

5.3 2006 Hydrocodone overdose

5.4 Spitting incident

9 Other work

9.1 The T.O. Show

9.2 Time Out with T.O. (Podcast)

21 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

My two cents: Looking at Wikipedia, TO appears to have a more extensive set of statistics, but JT seems to do better on character

Jason Taylor, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Taylor_(American_football)

5 Personal Life

5.1 Foundation

Terrell Owens, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Owens

5 Controversy

5.1 Controversy with Eagles

5.2 Desperate Housewives skit

5.3 2006 Hydrocodone overdose

5.4 Spitting incident

9 Other work

9.1 The T.O. Show

9.2 Time Out with T.O. (Podcast)

It's pretty evident that his antics are the sole reason he's not already in the HoF. Statistically he is the 2nd or 3rd best receiver to ever lace them up. What I find being hypocritical is the very same reporters that are voting no for his HoF candidacy are the sames ones that profited off the web clicks for their TMZ style reporting on his behavior.