Jason Taylor - First Ballot Hall of Famer

MDZip

24 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Miami has been doing it forever.  They talk about people who were there darn near a Century ago.  Too bad their potential recruits wouldn't have been old enough to see those people while they were actually there.  :rolleyes:

I actually took a look back at Miami's history for a minute as a refresher, and I accidentally found one of the most interesting football team names ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Balmy_Beach_Beachers  

They've been producing pro-bowlers consistently for decades. If I counted right the below link lists 57 players that went onto have NFL careers with various different degrees of success. That doesn't even count the players that flamed out after a year or 2. Over that same time we've had like 4 players that have went onto have actual careers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Miami_Hurricanes_in_the_NFL

In 2015 alone they had 7 players drafted. That's about as many players Akron has had drafted in the past 20 years combined. Between the years of 2000 and 2015 they have had 93 players drafted, which is 2nd only to the team that you refer to the Suckeyes.

Edited by kreed5120

To get this back on track as a celebration of a ZIP going into the Pro Football HOF, in case anyone is interested I checked into some of the events at the induction weekend. A lot of them are really pricy and not things I care that much about. The one I really wanted was the Enshrinement ceremony on Saturday. There is a one day package for that at $270 that includes:

Enshrinement Celebration Fan Party

Class of 2017 Enshrinement Ceremony
Prime Lower Level Seats

1-Day Hall of Fame Admission

There might be cheaper ways to go but how often are you guaranteed lower level seats to see a UA player get inducted? So if anyone is interested in that the link is https://hofexperiences.com/2017-pro-football-hall-of-fame/single-day-package

I'm also seriously thinking about the Gold Jacket Dinner that is held at the Canton Civic Center. They don't have the date absolutely set yet but tickets are available. They are $120. Anyone interested in joining together to maybe get an Akron table for that event?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I wonder how much this has to do with the fact that we are still the "youngest" in terms of D-1A history, compared to nearly all of our foes in the MAC?

Sure that definitely has played a factor. I just feel if we don't have a rich history of tradition to sell, we'd be better off on selling the kids on our vision for the future and how they will be the ones to help us achieve it. The University between paying for the IPF, new stadium, and bring in a coach with a recognizable name has showed it's willing to invest in the program. 

8 minutes ago, MDZip said:

I'm also seriously thinking about the Gold Jacket Dinner that is held at the Canton Civic Center. They don't have the date absolutely set yet but tickets are available. They are $120. Anyone interested in joining together to maybe get an Akron table for that event?

Yes.  I can think of a handful of others that might like to get in on that idea with you too, MD.

2 hours ago, MDZip said:

To get this back on track as a celebration of a ZIP going into the Pro Football HOF, in case anyone is interested I checked into some of the events at the induction weekend. A lot of them are really pricy and not things I care that much about. The one I really wanted was the Enshrinement ceremony on Saturday. There is a one day package for that at $270 that includes:

Enshrinement Celebration Fan Party

Class of 2017 Enshrinement Ceremony
Prime Lower Level Seats

1-Day Hall of Fame Admission

There might be cheaper ways to go but how often are you guaranteed lower level seats to see a UA player get inducted? So if anyone is interested in that the link is https://hofexperiences.com/2017-pro-football-hall-of-fame/single-day-package

Hey MD Zip...I am DEFINITELY interested in either one of your ideas, if you are going to put something together for a table or a group of seats.  Keep me posted on your progress but please tentatively count me in!

I called the folks at the Canton Civic Center about a table for the Gold Jacket ceremony. She said there are eight at a table and as I mentioned I think it would be great to get an Akron table together for the event. I'd be happy to do something through the University if anything is planned but I've checked and don't see anything at the moment so instead of missing the moment I'm willing to do the legwork to get a table together. Tickets are $135 apiece and I have two folks who have already committed to being part of it. If five more of you would like to be a part of it, I'll make the arrangements for it. You can reply, you can PM me whatever way you want to let me know. The sooner we get our request in the better chance we have of actually getting a table.

• 1 month later...

Jason Taylor and others in the 2017 Pro Football HoF Class tour the HoF today (3/20/2017)

http://www.cantonrep.com/photogallery/OH/20170320/SPORTS/320009995/PH/1

PH-320009995.jpg&maxW=900&maxH=900&cache

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:42 AM, MDZip said:

I called the folks at the Canton Civic Center about a table for the Gold Jacket ceremony. She said there are eight at a table and as I mentioned I think it would be great to get an Akron table together for the event. I'd be happy to do something through the University if anything is planned but I've checked and don't see anything at the moment so instead of missing the moment I'm willing to do the legwork to get a table together. Tickets are $135 apiece and I have two folks who have already committed to being part of it. If five more of you would like to be a part of it, I'll make the arrangements for it. You can reply, you can PM me whatever way you want to let me know. The sooner we get our request in the better chance we have of actually getting a table.

Since basketball season is over I thought I'd bring this up again. I have only had two people express any interest in getting a table together. I also checked with the athletic dept. and didn't get any response on whether the University was doing anything. So if I don't hear from anyone else by the end of the month I will just put in for seats for the ones who have responded. Darn shame if we can't get a table of 8 Zips fans together for an event that we will likely not see again in our lifetimes.  

I'll never forget this Dan Le Batard article on JT.

- After being leg-whipped during a game, Taylor says the pain was so bad that he couldn't sleep unless he was standing. Had he waited two more hours to see Dr. Andrews, his leg would have needed amputation because of effects from compartment syndrome, which occurs when muscle bleeding causes severe nerve damage.

- Taylor also goes into detail about what he'd do to get on the field for games, from pregame Toradol shots to postgame pain killers and prescribed sleeping pills.

- Taylor stuffing a towel in his mouth to muffle screams during excruciating shots in the bottom of his feet to ease the pain of plantar fasciitis -- might have been caused by the Toradol injections.

"Would I do it all again? I would," Taylor said. "If I had to sleep on the steps standing up for 15 years, I would do it."

On 3/21/2017 at 10:12 AM, MDZip said:

Since basketball season is over I thought I'd bring this up again. I have only had two people express any interest in getting a table together. I also checked with the athletic dept. and didn't get any response on whether the University was doing anything. So if I don't hear from anyone else by the end of the month I will just put in for seats for the ones who have responded. Darn shame if we can't get a table of 8 Zips fans together for an event that we will likely not see again in our lifetimes.  

Once again MD I am in if you are doing this and I am in for 2 tickets, or seats or whatever....

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:49 AM, MDZip said:

Up to 6 can we find two more?

Still at six but I took the risk and asked for a table of eight. Gotta be able to find two more people that would like to go. Its just a request not a guarantee so I will let you know when and what I hear back from the Canton Civic Center.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/7/2017 at 8:58 AM, MDZip said:

Still at six but I took the risk and asked for a table of eight. Gotta be able to find two more people that would like to go. Its just a request not a guarantee so I will let you know when and what I hear back from the Canton Civic Center.

Hey there!  Did we let this idea die or are we still thinking of doing something?

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:20 AM, ZipsVoice said:

Hey there!  Did we let this idea die or are we still thinking of doing something?

I put the request in in April and have called a couple of times to see where it stands with no response back yet. I'll try again today.

2 hours ago, MDZip said:

I put the request in in April and have called a couple of times to see where it stands with no response back yet. I'll try again today.

If you get the table and still need another person, let me know as I think I should be able to swing it.

31 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

If you get the table and still need another person, let me know as I think I should be able to swing it.

I just heard back from them and was told she believes she will be able to accommodate my request and should know in the next week or so.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2017 at 7:47 AM, MDZip said:

I just heard back from them and was told she believes she will be able to accommodate my request and should know in the next week or so.

It's confirmed. We have a table. I believe we still have one open seat. If all of you who have confirmed can p.m. me to say that you're still in I would appreciate it. I'm actually in Alaska at the moment so I'll pay for the table for now and give instructions to those of you that confirm that you are in.