Jason Taylor - First Ballot Hall of Famer

MDZip

Mixing two threads with one response (9100 attendance) 

I sure hope we are milking Jason's NFL HOF induction while he is 30 minutes away.  I wonder if students even know he is UA alum.  Great player, good looking, well spoken.........USE IT!!!  Build a f*&%ing statue of him at the stadium.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

When ya'all are at the Hall, look for a photo of the first NFL champion, 1919 Akron Pros. 

Speaking of opportunities for publicity (Just like the JT situation).......I've lived in Akron for about 35 years, and I have NEVER heard this or seen this mentioned.....anywhere.  

AKRON, OHIO - HOME OF THE FIRST CHAMPION OF THE NFL

Use It !!  (borrowing a line from a-zip above)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a-zip said:

I wonder if students even know he is UA alum.

Now THAT's a great topic for a poll.  Question: What percentage of UA students know this?

Here's my guess:

Only 10% know that Jason is an alum.

And only a slightly higher number (12%) know that we even have a D-1 football team. 

:lol:

14 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

When ya'all are at the Hall, look for a photo of the first NFL champion, 1919 Akron Pros.  See if you can find my grandfather -- Arthur Sloat in the shot.  Think he was a tackle.  Saw it and his name back in the 70s.  :)

Technically pre-NFL but cool nonetheless :thumb:

The National Football League champions, prior to the merger between the National Football League (NFL) and American Football League (AFL) in 1970, were determined by two different systems. The National Football League was established on September 17, 1920, as the American Professional Football Association (APFA). The APFA changed its name in 1922 to the National Football League, which it has retained ever since.[1] From 1921 to 1931, the APFA/NFL determined its champion by overall win–loss record, with no playoff games;[2] ties were not counted in the winning percentage total.[3] The APFA did not keep records of the 1920 season; they declared the Akron Pros, who finished the season with an 8–0–3 (8 wins, 0 losses, 3 ties) record, as the league's first champions, by a vote of the owners.

Akron_pros_1920.jpg

19 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Now THAT's a great topic for a poll.  Question: What percentage of UA students know this?

Here's my guess:

Only 10% know that Jason is an alum.

And only a slightly higher number (12%) know that we even have a D-1 football team. 

:lol:

Guarantee there would be a high percentage of students that don't even know the name Jason Taylor either...

Edited by mes102

3 hours ago, mes102 said:

Guarantee there would be a high percentage of students that don't even know the name Jason Taylor either...

That is a problem.  If they are football fans I am sure they will hear about him getting inducted in to the NFL HOF down the road - if they don't know he played at their alma mater, that is criminal.  If the UA is too stupid to not try and capitalize on it, maybe 9,900 is what we deserve.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, a-zip said:

That is a problem.  If they are football fans I am sure they will hear about him getting inducted in to the NFL HOF down the road - if they don't know he played at their alma mater, that is criminal.  If the UA is too stupid to not try and capitalize on it, maybe 9,900 is what we deserve.

.............They are honoring Jason Taylor at the Iowa State game and he will be there.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

.............They are honoring Jason Taylor at the Iowa State game and he will be there.

In the build-up to the game, it wouldn't surprise me if they had an article in the Iowa State Daily newspaper about Jason Taylor or Akron being the first pro champ.  

Edit to say that no they probably won't write those articles.  The Iowa State Daily will be too busy focusing in Campbell, et al, being from northeast Ohio.  I hope they don't overlook the fact that our stadium is named after Jack Trice who is from East Tech HS in Cleveland.  Those stories will probably keep us from actually doing anything more than talk about your current team.  

Edited by Cykron

19 hours ago, mes102 said:

Good point.  Before we ask students if they know that Jason is an Akron alum.....Maybe we ought to ask Akron students if they even know who he is.  :rolleyes:

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:19 PM, a-zip said:

I sure hope we are milking Jason's NFL HOF induction while he is 30 minutes away.  I wonder if students even know he is UA alum.  Great player, good looking, well spoken.........USE IT!!!  Build a f*&%ing statue of him at the stadium.

I am so disappointed that the University seems to be doing nothing around Taylors induction (other than honoring him against Iowa State). First player (and probably only for a very long time) from the closest FBS University to the PFHOF and I've heard nothing about it. Has anyone seen anything the Athletic department doing anything associated with it? At the very least I hoped they would have reserved something for alums to attend together. It's exactly why I set it all up myself. I guess we'll be the official Akron table. Maybe I should contact the Athletic department so we can get something for the table to make it look like the University at least cares. Geez.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MDZip said:

I am so disappointed that the University seems to be doing nothing around Taylors induction (other than honoring him against Iowa State). First player (and probably only for a very long time) from the closest FBS University to the PFHOF and I've heard nothing about it. Has anyone seen anything the Athletic department doing anything associated with it? At the very least I hoped they would have reserved something for alums to attend together. It's exactly why I set it all up myself. I guess we'll be the official Akron table. Maybe I should contact the Athletic department so we can get something for the table to make it look like the University at least cares. Geez.  

Maybe they don't realize he went to school here.  They didn't know Jerome Lane did.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:04 AM, MDZip said:

It's confirmed. We have a table. I believe we still have one open seat.

If anyone wants to see Taylor get his jacket during the Gold Jacket dinner at the Canton Civic Center, we still do have one open seat. First one to PM me that wants it gets it. $135.

7 hours ago, MDZip said:

If anyone wants to see Taylor get his jacket during the Gold Jacket dinner at the Canton Civic Center, we still do have one open seat. First one to PM me that wants it gets it. $135.

It has been claimed. 

For all of us lucky and excited about the Gold Jacket Dinner on the 4th, I read on line that we are supposed to get dressy.  Suggested the men wear a coat and tie, women a dress or fancy pant suit....just so we don't embarrass the U (and ourselves!)  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

For all of us lucky and excited about the Gold Jacket Dinner on the 4th, I read on line that we are supposed to get dressy.  Suggested the men wear a coat and tie, women a dress or fancy pant suit....just so we don't embarrass the U (and ourselves!)  :rolleyes:

My Zips tie is all ready!

I had hoped by now that UA would be selling vintage Jason Taylor #33 Zips jerseys for those who want to go to Canton and show Zips Pride during the HoF induction. What was I thinking? Oh well, I will be out of town and unable to go anyway. Let me thank those who are going in advance for representing UA well! I think JT will appreciate your being there.

4 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

So, does this mean you have to Zip-up . . . your zipper?  :thumb:

May be a dumb old joke to you, but it was fresh and clever in my mind!  

• Like 1