Jason Taylor - First Ballot Hall of Famer

MDZip

https://sports.yahoo.com/miami-dolphins-hiring-jason-taylor-223158898.html

Hall of Famer Jason Taylor has been a lot of things for the Miami Dolphins: All-time sack leader, the team’s defensive anchor (with Zach Thomas) for more than a decade and for a time, the figurative face of the franchise.

Now add something else to that list: full-time radio analyst.

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Like 1

Not trying to start a major rebellion, but didn't he not show up for his day at Akron a couple of years ago?  We had many fans in lot 9 fired up and ready to meet him and acknowledge his great success, and he chose not to come.  I respect what he did as a player, but he needsto support your alma mater.  Please respond if I have not read this situation correctly.

Note: I feel the same way about Joe Jakubic.  What a great player!

On 9/8/2020 at 2:24 PM, bigjim said:

Not trying to start a major rebellion, but didn't he not show up for his day at Akron a couple of years ago?  We had many fans in lot 9 fired up and ready to meet him and acknowledge his great success, and he chose not to come.  I respect what he did as a player, but he needsto support your alma mater.  Please respond if I have not read this situation correctly.

Note: I feel the same way about Joe Jakubic.  What a great player!

That's right. The reason given was because a hurricane had just hit Miami and he wanted to stay and support his charity there. He doesn't seem to have great affinity for UA, must have been some bad blood with someone.

Edited by ZippyRulz

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Your fanbase's relation with Jason Taylor is fascinating.  When we were at the Akron game in 2017, they did a feature ("15 miles to the HOF" or something like that).  However, almost none of the Akron fans around us were even paying attention.  I thought it was an incredible tribute and at the time I couldn't believe that your fans weren't jumping up and down about him.  But I've learned that there are issues in your relationship with him.  

1 hour ago, Cykron said:

I couldn't believe that your fans weren't jumping up and down about him.  But I've learned that there are issues in your relationship with him.  

If a 4th string QB from Ohio State were being honored at Infocision, Zips "fans" would have paid attention. 🤢

Real Zips fans love Jason Taylor. Yeah, they wish he were more visible in his support of his alma mater, but no real Zips supporter dislikes him. 99% are proud of him. There's just so few of us it looks worse than it is. 

Additionally - while Taylor was strutting his stuff at the Rubber Bowl, there were probably between 500 - 2000 fans at most home games.  And the teams of that era were pretty bad. Few Akronites ever saw him play.

• Like 2

No real surprise since the University almost acts like the didn't attend. They did nothing for him during his Hall of Fame induction ceremony. I bought a table and a few die hard Zips fans went with me. I even offered to make the official Akron table and got no response from the University. No wonder he doesn't feel too embraced. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, MDZip said:

No real surprise since the University almost acts like the didn't attend. They did nothing for him during his Hall of Fame induction ceremony. I bought a table and a few die hard Zips fans went with me. I even offered to make the official Akron table and got no response from the University. No wonder he doesn't feel too embraced. 

Funny he held his HoF celebration party at Infocision stadium even though he “doesn’t feel too embraced”. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Funny he held his HoF celebration party at Infocision stadium even though he “doesn’t feel too embraced”. 

Holding HIS party at ICS is one thing.  What did the U do for getting Zip fans involved, or even to the ceremonies?  Tickets?, a bus down and back?  A watch party??  The majority of fans, non-well-heeled fans, non-administrators, non-insiders, who weren't invited to HIS party were offered absolutely zilch.  Oh sure, we got a nifty $3.50 quality tee shirt from Bryant Heating and Cooling at JT's "Day" at Info, but for those who wanted to show support, admiration and appreciation...crickets.  

19 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

My intent to add to an old JT thread,

and observe that Jason Taylor Coaching at St. Thomas Aquinas

has taken an odd turn for a nice guy with a new staff at Akron.

My apologies to most ZN members. 🙁

👍

1 hour ago, zippy-claws said:

Holding HIS party at ICS is one thing.  What did the U do for getting Zip fans involved, or even to the ceremonies?  Tickets?, a bus down and back?  A watch party??  The majority of fans, non-well-heeled fans, non-administrators, non-insiders, who weren't invited to HIS party were offered absolutely zilch.  Oh sure, we got a nifty $3.50 quality tee shirt from Bryant Heating and Cooling at JT's "Day" at Info, but for those who wanted to show support, admiration and appreciation...crickets.  

I would think your use of HIS isn't because you think JT is JC, but I'm not certain of that. Lol

My point with my comment was that stating "No wonder he doesn't feel too embraced." doesn't seem to agree with JT holding his party at UA's Infocision Stadium.

I, too, would have thought that UA would have done something to involve average Zips fans in the celebration of JT's HoF induction. After all, how many former Zips are in the Pro Football HoF just 15 miles or so south of The University of Akron? UA seems to have its "hand" out quite often looking for donations from us. Perhaps they could have sponsored some activities around JT's induction and sold tickets, items, etc. as a fundraiser. Maybe even asked JT if he would be open to raffling off some tickets for a lucky few to attend his celebration at Infocision. Further evidence of the shortcomings of previous leadership...actually, lack thereof. 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

👍

I would think your use of HIS isn't because you think JT is JC, but I'm not certain of that. Lol

My point with my comment was that stating "No wonder he doesn't feel too embraced." doesn't seem to agree with JT holding his party at UA's Infocision Stadium.

I, too, would have thought that UA would have done something to involve average Zips fans in the celebration of JT's HoF induction. After all, how many former Zips are in the Pro Football HoF just 15 miles or so south of The University of Akron? UA seems to have its "hand" out quite often looking for donations from us. Perhaps they could have sponsored some activities around JT's induction and sold tickets, items, etc. as a fundraiser. Maybe even asked JT if he would be open to raffling off some tickets for a lucky few to attend his celebration at Infocision. Further evidence of the shortcomings of previous leadership...actually, lack thereof. 

💯 UA leadership has been pathetic.  Hopefully things are different now.

On 12/11/2021 at 2:37 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

That was actually my point, a once in a lifetime opportunity to promote Zips football went for naught. Oh well, its the past looks like better days should be ahead.  

• 4 months later...