Jason Taylor - First Ballot Hall of Famer

MDZip

Now that the current HOF class has been announced they're going to start winnowing the list for the class of 2017, This happens to be the first year of eligibility for Jason Taylor along with some other notable players. The only new ones I see as being ahead of Taylor are LaDanian Tomlinson and Hines Ward. Of course there are plenty of currently eligible players as well, so I don't necessarily see him getting in on the first attempt but I'll bet it's no longer than three.   

Last year should have been a good indication of his chances.

Strahan was just inducted, and he's one spot ahead of Jason on the All-Time Sack list.  Jason is #6 all time, and there's even plenty of guys behind him who have already been inducted. 

Just one stat, but I think it's important enough that he's sure to get in at some point.   

Seems ridiculous to read that LaDainian was only at 4 pro bowls.

On 5/16/2016 at 1:03 PM, MDZip said:

Now that the current HOF class has been announced they're going to start winnowing the list for the class of 2017, This happens to be the first year of eligibility for Jason Taylor along with some other notable players. The only new ones I see as being ahead of Taylor are LaDanian Tomlinson and Hines Ward. Of course there are plenty of currently eligible players as well, so I don't necessarily see him getting in on the first attempt but I'll bet it's no longer than three.   

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The full list of the 15 finalists against whom Taylor will compete. I think Tomlinson is a shoe-in but I'm encouraged that I don't see any others who would be an absolute favorite over Taylor.

LaDainian Tomlinson

Jason Taylor

Brian Dawkins

Morten Andersen

Tony Boselli

Isaac Bruce

Don Coryell

Terrell Davis

Alan Faneca

Joe Jacoby

Ty Law

John Lynch

Kevin Mawae

Terrell Owens

Kurt Warner

21 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I'd label TO as a shoe in. He's # in career receiving yards and 3rd in receiving TDs

I also think there were some politics involved in him not getting in last year. I think the committee wanted Marvin Harrison and Tony Dungy to go in at the same time. 

Other than TO and LT, I think Jason Taylor is the only other player that stands out on that list. Then again, I do have my "blue-and-gold" colored glasses on... B)

34 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

I also think there were some politics involved in him not getting in last year. I think the committee wanted Marvin Harrison and Tony Dungy to go in at the same time. 

Other than TO and LT, I think Jason Taylor is the only other player that stands out on that list. Then again, I do have my "blue-and-gold" colored glasses on... B)

HoF voting in both football and baseball is flawed. Griffey should have been an unanimous selection in baseball, but wasn't because a handful of dudes think nobody should be since Cobb and Ruth weren't 50+ years ago. Not to mention they are holding out the best pitcher and hitter of my childhood (Bonds and Clemens). TO should already be in the HoF, but some 60 year old dudes took offense to him signing signing a football with a sharpie.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, a-zip said:

I just did a google, YouTube, etc search for Jason Taylor UA highlights.  I couldn't find any.  It would be really smart to get some out there real quick. 

To add...I wonder what (if any) relationship the program has with him and how said relationship is leveraged. I would imagine walking into a South FL recruit's home with an NFL Hall of Famer from Akron and Miami Dolphin legend is a quick way to get their attention. Then again...kids graduating high school now probably don't remember seeing him play.