2018 Recruiting

11 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

According to this December 4th Medina Gazette article, we're still not showing any interest in Wadsworth's Joey Baughman.

B&G - is anyone else showing an interest at the DI level?

Sorry! - didn't read the article first...my bad...

Edited by ZipsVoice
  • Like 1

Tracker is updated to include Arslanian as a scholly player. Per a source close to the team, he was a "blueshirt" commit last year. Estimating 10 scholarships left over now for 2018. Quick reminder on what the different "shirts" mean as well. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/recruiting/2016/01/31/college-football-recruiting-redshirt-greenshirt-grayshirt-blueshirt/79603750/

Zips Football Scholarship Chart.xlsx

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Abraham Alce

6'0" 235 lbs. 

3-star Linebacker / Running back

Quite an impressive offer list. I'd prefer to get him here as a LB, considering what we've brought in so far at each position. Being that these last second recruits usually come down to the places they visit right before signing day, you would think it is going to come down to us and Kent St. He does have a visit lined up with Michigan and Mich. St as well it looks like, but no offers from them as of yet.

https://247sports.com/Player/Abraham-Alce-45572434

Edited by LZIp

35 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Quite an impressive offer list. I'd prefer to get him here as a LB, considering what we've brought in so far at each position. Being that these last second recruits usually come down to the places they visit right before signing day, you would think it is going to come down to us and Kent St. He does have a visit lined up with Michigan and Mich. St as well it looks like, but no offers from them as of yet.

https://247sports.com/Player/Abraham-Alce-45572434

If it came down to us or Kent you'd think we would be the more attractive program?  Better City.  Better Facilities.  Actually able to win games, though the excitement of a new staff might be something Kent has.

Just now, Balsy said:

If it came down to us or Kent you'd think we would be the more attractive program?  Better City.  Better Facilities.  Actually able to win games, though the excitement of a new staff might be something Kent has.

Most definitely you think it would be us. I can't remember them beating us out for any recruit recently, but may be wrong. I did see that they landed a JUCO (former Auburn 4 star) QB yesterday though. Seems like thats a good get for them.

6 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Most definitely you think it would be us. I can't remember them beating us out for any recruit recently, but may be wrong. I did see that they landed a JUCO (former Auburn 4 star) QB yesterday though. Seems like thats a good get for them.

Indeed that would be a huge get for them.  Hopefully he turns out like our former 4-star QB transfer.  :lol:  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Thanks, @Let'sGoZips94

Seems like awfully light interest for an Ohio Mr. Football award winner.  Idk. Whatever.

I'm surprised a school like Can't didn't offer him. They had interest in him, and Joey seems to be their prototypical QB - undersized, athletic, etc. 

At 6'1" 190 lbs, I'm not too surprised he didn't get much DI interest. It looks like he had walk-on offers from a few DI schools, but he's smart to at least get the full ride scholarship, regardless of where it's at. If his University of Virginia wrestling scholarship wasn't a full ride, I think he made the best life decision from a financial aspect. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

On 1/15/2018 at 8:57 AM, Balsy said:

Also, Immokalee is not that far from Naples and Cape Coral, which is where Manny Morgan and Van Edwards are from respectively. Hopefully that will be some sort of influence.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2018 at 11:28 AM, Blue & Gold said:

6'4", 275 lb. DL/OL

Has only played one year of football...

Interesting prospect. I don't know if I'm a good evaluator of OL/DL play but it looks like this kid has a great motor and is rather strong.

Not sure brute strength wins as much at the FBS level as it can/does at the high school level, though.

Could be a kid that can really develop in time though and would trust the coaches to make that call.

Since he mentions Coach Ekkens, I'll assume they are recruiting him for the OL (at least initially) which I like; never enough big men in the trenches!

• Like 1

Wanted to hit on two points on this post:

1st - I noticed Tim Scippio (early commit and currently unsigned) congratulating players for committing. Based on that I would count him in to sign next week.

2nd - I'm still worried about not bringing in a scholly QB (at least of yet) in this class. Lack of depth could realistically end up being a problem once again after next season. It's probably more likely than not Kato leaves sometime in his career if his dad has any say. Kelley seems like a nice back up based on what I've seen, but is gone after next season. Johns has 2 more years, but one would think he came here to play. Not only did he not play, he switched positions. After next season, it's very possible Ramart could be the starter with a true freshman as his back up.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 3