2018 Recruiting

Also interesting is that ESPN has Alce listed as a fullback and the top fullback overall for the class of 2018. They only ranked two players, but is this the first time ever that the Zips have gotten the top nationally ranked prospect for his position?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/position/fullback/class/2018/view/position

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Another great get...what on earth is with all of these Olineman though?

?? Hopefully one day soon, I can write "The Zips o-line dominated (insert top mac opponent here) the entire game" All the skill positions shine when this happens. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, K92 said:

I would say this class is the best of the Bowden era by a very large margin.

How do you judge that? Not being funny, honest question? I have a hard time judging recruits. I've watched HS film on all our recruits since Lee Owens, and been excited about so many that have "flamed" out. I've watched the same film, and haven't been impressed with many that have had great success. So hard to judge for me at this time of the year. Now, when I get to watch a scrimmage, I can actually formulate an opinion, but I have never been good at judging talent at this time of year. 

2018 Akron Football National Letter of Intent Signees

Name                            Pos.    Elig.     Ht.      Wt.       Hometown | High School | Previous School

Abraham Alce                 RB      Fr.      6-0      224      Immokalee, Fla. | Immokalee

Eric Bentley  $                 DL      Fr.      6-2      244      Akron, Ohio | St. Vincent-St. Mary

Gavin Blunt                     WR      Fr.      6-2      195      Aurora, Ohio | Aurora

Daishawn Brimage          WR      Fr.      6-1      195      Akron, Ohio | East

Reggie Corner, Jr.  $         S       Fr.      5-9      200      Canton, Ohio | McKinley

Devanier Floyd                RB      Fr.      5-9      200      Akron, Ohio | East

Vincent Fonte                  OL      Fr.      6-4      275      Copley, Ohio | Copley

Landon Forman               OL       Jr.      6-5      280      Kingfisher, Okla. | Kingfisher | Northeast Okla. A&M

Rich Hall  $                     DB      Fr.      6-1      175      Pompano Beach, Fla. | Coconut Creek

Logan Hawkins                DL      Fr.      6-2      270      Harrison City, Pa. | Penn-Trafford

Jalen Hooks                     S       Fr.      6-2      170      Warren, Ohio | Harding

Devin Jordan                   OL      Fr.      6-6      250      Fort Lauderdale, Fla. | Dillard

Richard Kelly                   OL      Fr.      6-3      300      Akron, Ohio | Archbishop Hoban

Bryce Petersen  $            OL    R-So.    6-2      285      McKinleyville, Calif. | McKinleyville | Riverside City College

Ben Phillis                       OL      Fr.      6-5      300      Washington, Pa. | Trinity

Treon Sibley                   WR      Fr.      6-0      187      Akron, Ohio | Coventry     

Keyondre White  $           RB      Fr.     5-10     210      Fort Lauderdale, Fla. | Dillard

$ Mid-year enrollee

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

How do you judge that? Not being funny, honest question? I have a hard time judging recruits. I've watched HS film on all our recruits since Lee Owens, and been excited about so many that have "flamed" out. I've watched the same film, and haven't been impressed with many that have had great success. So hard to judge for me at this time of the year. Now, when I get to watch a scrimmage, I can actually formulate an opinion, but I have never been good at judging talent at this time of year. 

Kent State, Wisconsin, Appalachian State, Boston College, Bowling Green, Kentucky, Miami (FL), Pittsburgh, South Alabama, USF, Boston College, Cincinnati, Kent State, Miami (OH), Toledo, UCF, Bowling Green, FIU, Georgia State, Southern Miss, Western Kentucky, Nevada, Idaho, Iowa State, San Jose State, UNLV, Army, Florida Atlantic, Illinois, Louisville, Minnesota, Syracuse and if they add Adetutu Daranijo: Cincinnati, East Carolina, Florida Atlantic, Fresno State, Massachusetts, Memphis, Middle Tennessee State, Missouri, Navy, Northern Illinois, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Toledo, Tulane & UCF.

There have been years where there were only a couple of other schools that offered anybody that we signed.  There are true diamonds in the rough that no one else saw and we did.  For sure.  But those are exceptions, not rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, UAZippers said:

Also interesting is that ESPN has Alce listed as a fullback and the top fullback overall for the class of 2018. They only ranked two players, but is this the first time ever that the Zips have gotten the top nationally ranked prospect for his position?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/position/fullback/class/2018/view/position

And here I was thinking our recruiting sucked...

1 hour ago, K92 said:

Kent State, Wisconsin, Appalachian State, Boston College, Bowling Green, Kentucky, Miami (FL), Pittsburgh, South Alabama, USF, Boston College, Cincinnati, Kent State, Miami (OH), Toledo, UCF, Bowling Green, FIU, Georgia State, Southern Miss, Western Kentucky, Nevada, Idaho, Iowa State, San Jose State, UNLV, Army, Florida Atlantic, Illinois, Louisville, Minnesota, Syracuse and if they add Adetutu Daranijo: Cincinnati, East Carolina, Florida Atlantic, Fresno State, Massachusetts, Memphis, Middle Tennessee State, Missouri, Navy, Northern Illinois, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Toledo, Tulane & UCF.

There have been years where there were only a couple of other schools that offered anybody that we signed.  There are true diamonds in the rough that no one else saw and we did.  For sure.  But those are exceptions, not rules.

And yet, with our diamonds, we went to the MAC Championship game.

WR Timothy Scippio and S Adetutu Daranijo are both definitely signing with UA, but both are obviously non-qualifiers so won't be announced officially till next year.

^^Timothy Scippio

^^Adetutu Daranijo (check out the top-left picture of him signing his NLOI w/ his Zips hat on & note Jason Taylor in the background).

• Like 3