2018 Recruiting

38 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

WR Timothy Scippio and S Adetutu Daranijo are both definitely signing with UA, but both are obviously non-qualifiers so won't be announced officially till next year.

^^Timothy Scippio

^^Adetutu Daranijo (check out the top-left picture of him signing his NLOI w/ his Zips hat on & note Jason Taylor in the background).

He got a nice shoutout from Taylor on Twitter.

Say what you want about the recruiting sites but it means a little something to see recruits signing that even have a 247 or rivals page, let alone have some stars. We've signed more kids this class with other legit offers than the last three or four combined I'd say. We'll see how they turn out, but at the least it's good to see us going against other respectable D-1 programs and winning some battles. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

Can't explain my joy to see the Zips sign their first student-athlete from Humboldt Nation!  McKinleyville had produced many good players over the years.  Bryce was offered out of HS by Iowa St, committed to Nevada then decommitted and went JC way to a good program at RiversideCC.  He's a guard primarily.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:56 PM, Blue & Gold said:

He did not clear Kohl's top 100. Bowden needs to pony up scholarships for kickers instead of this PW for average kickers. The kicking game was a total disaster in 2017. Gasser did better than O'Leary, but with a pretty limited range.

Edited by zipsoutsider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

He did not clear Kohl's top 100. Bowden needs to pony up scholarships for kickers instead of this PW for average kickers. The kicking game was a total disaster in 2017. Gasser did better than O'Leary, but with a pretty limited range.

Agreed. I'm tired of sweating out every XP kick, let alone the 28 yard FG's.

I'd have to look at the stats, but I don't even think Gasser was better than O'Leary. Thats a change that baffled me throughout the season. I can't disagree too much though. Lets give a scholly to the best kicker and then a good young kicker. Its worth it.

Edited by LZIp

17 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Yes! I've been thinking this for awhile now. Our Special Teams was a real issue this past season. I'm all for using a scholarship on a highly rated kicker.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2018 at 5:06 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Agreed. I'm tired of sweating out every XP kick, let alone the 28 yard FG's.

Jack Fuller set to kick for Zips

Fuller, who was a three-time All-Portage Trail Conference selection in soccer and football, becomes the fourth Coventry player to sign with Akron in recent years, alongside Devon Jones, former teammate Dusty Burkhart and fellow Class of 2018 member Treon Sibley.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Talk recently to Zach’s uncle ane he is so psyched that Zach is going to be a Zip.  Zach is excited as all get out.  Guess he’s going to be non scholarship to start, but he says Bowden is high on him and expects him to be a scolly soon...

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:13 PM, Dr Z said:

Jack Fuller set to kick for Zips

Fuller, who was a three-time All-Portage Trail Conference selection in soccer and football, becomes the fourth Coventry player to sign with Akron in recent years, alongside Devon Jones, former teammate Dusty Burkhart and fellow Class of 2018 member Treon Sibley.

Less than impressive. Only kicking profile was Prokicker, which is an OK organization, but they did not rank him (they only rank top 25) does not appear to have ever been a Kohl's kicker. Hi kicks would be no better than Gasser, when you move the ball back to the 35.

I know there was a Kohl's top 50 kid planning a visit. He has a good looking leg.