2018 Recruiting

15 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'm glad we've been able to seemingly keep the class together so far, and even more encouraged that our best recruits look like they will be signing early, but things seem to be going slow outside of our class. Not hearing much about offers nor commitments.

I think coaches are trying to figure out early signing day and how to approach it. Bowden has said a couple of times that he anticipates that some kids who were holding out hopes for P5 offers will be more willing to talk with G5 schools after early signing day or perhaps as it approaches. I'd love to see us ink some of the kids on that ESPN list.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Anyone know if there is going to be any Early Signing Day coverage on GoZips.com?

I would expect an article maybe, but I don't expect a presser, at least the day of, since it is the day after our bowl game.

Another random thought I had about early signing day: I wonder if one semester is enough for the "non-qualifiers" (Bridges, Corner, etc) from last year's class to become eligible and officially sign? Even more, would players that could come back like Jest and King already be eligible and able to sign again?? Once again, I don't expect to know much or anything until the spring game or even fall camp because thats just how it goes here, but it would be nice to know that now if able.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

Another random thought I had about early signing day: I wonder if one semester is enough for the "non-qualifiers" (Bridges, Corner, etc) from last year's class to become eligible and officially sign? Even more, would players that could come back like Jest and King already be eligible and able to sign again?? Once again, I don't expect to know much or anything until the spring game or even fall camp because thats just how it goes here, but it would be nice to know that now if able.

Not sure when they will be eligible to return if ever, but I noticed  that 2 former Zips wound up at Hutchinson CC. DL Andy Jean-Baptiste was listed as a Freshman this season and DL Davonte Jest a Sophomore. Also on that team was 2017 non-qualifier OL Marcus Kidd.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, zzx said:

Not sure when they will be eligible to return if ever, but I noticed  that 2 former Zips wound up at Hutchinson CC. DL Andy Jean-Baptiste was listed as a Freshman this season and DL Davonte Jest a Sophomore. Also on that team was 2017 non-qualifier OL Marcus Kidd.

Good find!!

I know Jest will be back on campus in January. I suppose he'll participate in spring ball.

• Like 1

They usually do the announcing of the commit on twitter once a signed NLI is received. I would guess logistics from the game ending late last night sort of throws a wrench in things. Lets hope they are just running behind, because I don't think it would be good if our top commits like White and Hooks had a change of heart and decided to put it off until Feb.

11 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Yeah. Here's Pitt's twitter, for comparison. Kids like this stuff

https://twitter.com/pitt_fb?lang=en

Exactly.  This is like Christmas morning - or a wedding day - to these young guys.  Today is THE big deal.  

Look at Western Michigan's twitter:  https://twitter.com/WMU_Football?lang=en

Bowl game should have ZERO to do with this. A week or two ago UA should have had a tweet ready to go for every recruit so today they could just have some intern (or even the janitor) tweet it out when we receive the LOI.  

I'm certainly absolutely positive they will do this.  There is absolutely positively no way conceivable that they wouldn't.  Right? :/

(Btw, I know Gavin Blunt isn't signing till 2:30 this afternoon.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Exactly.  This is like Christmas morning - or a wedding day - to these young guys.  Today is THE big deal.  

Look at Western Michigan's twitter:  https://twitter.com/WMU_Football?lang=en

Versus the Akron Football twitter feed as of 9:50 a.m.: UA Football twitter