Zips MAC Tourney Runs vs. LeBron's NBA Finals Runs

skip-zip

I'm interested to see how you guys see this.

With LeBron's 6 straight Title appearances, and the strong possibility that he will be 2-5 in those Finals appearances in about a week, it's prompting a lot of talk about whether this is a tremendous mark of consistent success, or a record of "collapsing" on the biggest stage, or anything in between.  

It's reminding me of our discussions about Akron's 10 year run of MAC Final 4's and MAC Title Game runs, despite our 3-5 record in those title games.  

So, how does everyone see this?  Do you see the LeBron situation as any different than the Zips?  I think LeBron had some of these failures with Cavs teams that were underdogs, and with his just-arrived year with the Heat.   But still, if plenty of people are focusing on LeBron's appearances as a great accomplishment, shouldn't we be focusing on the Zips consistent run of "title appearances" the same?  And not focusing so much on the results of those title games as any kind of "failure"?

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

I'm not sure if it is true, but I saw where I believe Jerry West said that he has been an underdog in every single finals he has played in.

I think someone would need to go back to at least 2 or 3 of those Miami teams, which I am sure were favorites, but I could be wrong.  But surely, all 3 of the Cavs teams he took to the Finals were not the favorite.  

1 hour ago, morris buttermaker said:

I would compare LeBron's finals run to the Zips if  it was an  NCAA tourney appearance  run... I don't think a run to the MAC final four is the same when the goal is the NCAA championship  (or getting in)

You might be missing the point here.  I was curious how his situation resonates in comparison, simply in terms of whether the weight of achievement should be places on getting to that point year after year?  Or, whether that accomplishment is somewhat negated by the failures in the final few games?

Sure, we're talking NBA vs. MAC, but the discussions I'm seeing among the "talking heads" is so eerily similar to the discussion we have here regarding championship appearances vs. titles.  

4 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

You might be missing the point here.  I was curious how his situation resonates in comparison, simply in terms of whether the weight of achievement should be places on getting to that point year after year?  Or, whether that accomplishment is somewhat negated by the failures in the final few games?

Sure, we're talking NBA vs. MAC, but the discussions I'm seeing among the "talking heads" is so eerily similar to the discussion we have here regarding championship appearances vs. titles.  

In the MAC you are competing against 11 other teams in the ~10th best conference. In the NBA you are competing against 29 other teams that are comprised of the best players in the world. If anything the MAC tournament would be the equivalent to the Eastern Conference of which Lebron is 6-0 in during last 6 years.

• Like 1