Game 3—@Marshall Thundering Herd

58 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

"The MAC has moved ahead of C-USA in virtually every aspect. By sticking with ESPN, instead of alienating the network as C-USA did in 2011, MAC schools receive $830,000 a piece in annual television revenue. That is $630,000 more than Marshall will get in 2016-17. What happened? Poor expansion by C-USA happened."

It's too bad, Marshall was good for the MAC, and the MAC was good for Marshall. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

"The MAC has moved ahead of C-USA in virtually every aspect. By sticking with ESPN, instead of alienating the network as C-USA did in 2011, MAC schools receive $830,000 a piece in annual television revenue. That is $630,000 more than Marshall will get in 2016-17. What happened? Poor expansion by C-USA happened."

It's too bad, Marshall was good for the MAC, and the MAC was good for Marshall. 

that has to be disappointing to read. Maybe the MAC can take them back once EMU drops to division 2 :(

• 3 weeks later...

I'm always entertained by the inaccurate information of "sports experts" who decide they want to talk about the Zips.

We "REJOINED" D-1A in 1987?   Did I miss something about our football history?  Maybe we played with the big boys somewhere between playing in D-III or D-II in the 60s or 70s? :lol:

• 2 months later...

Hey guys many of us at Marshall do not disagree about the MAC.  Just look at our past few years with former MAC opponents.  Ohio has owned us and Kent State took us down to the wire in overtime last year.  CUSA has weakened itself with the addition of teams they probably should not have taken.  As for Morgan State - we should not even be playing teams like that.  The past three years home openers have been against Gardner-Webb, Norfolk State, and Morgan State.  Winning a game 62-0 proved nothing for us but game experience for a lot of players we will need down the road.  We expect a very good game Saturday against Akron.  We are not the team you last played as most of those guys (Cato and Devin Johnson) are gone.  It is a four hour drive down I-77.  Come early - noon kickoff!  Weather for now looks like upper 80s and chances of thunderstorms.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Herd is favored by 15.5

I think our Generals decided not to fight too much at the battle of Wisconsin -  let's send out the militia and see what happens (no creative play calling probably decided in the coaches sequester at the beginning of the year). In Huntington, we had better have a decent game plan. If this is not a contested game (which is what happened last year), and we decide to just slug it out in the MAC later in the year, then I'm not a happy camper. We had better to play to win against the Herd and not just get better.        

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

On September 11, 2016 at 5:18 PM, bbneutralfan said:

Hey guys many of us at Marshall do not disagree about the MAC.  Just look at our past few years with former MAC opponents.  Ohio has owned us and Kent State took us down to the wire in overtime last year.  CUSA has weakened itself with the addition of teams they probably should not have taken.  As for Morgan State - we should not even be playing teams like that.  The past three years home openers have been against Gardner-Webb, Norfolk State, and Morgan State.  Winning a game 62-0 proved nothing for us but game experience for a lot of players we will need down the road.  We expect a very good game Saturday against Akron.  We are not the team you last played as most of those guys (Cato and Devin Johnson) are gone.  It is a four hour drive down I-77.  Come early - noon kickoff!  Weather for now looks like upper 80s and chances of thunderstorms.

Most (all?) on this board wish you guys were back in the MAC.  Myself included.  It's a good rivalry and I hope it's a good game.  We're not yet sure what we've got with our team either.

• Like 1

On July 4, 2016 at 6:30 AM, skip-zip said:

I'm always entertained by the inaccurate information of "sports experts" who decide they want to talk about the Zips.

We "REJOINED" D-1A in 1987?   Did I miss something about our football history?  Maybe we played with the big boys somewhere between playing in D-III or D-II in the 60s or 70s? :lol:

It's a technicality, but Akron was considered "major" way back in the day. ... along with just about any school that had football pre WWII. So,   while they never exactly rejoined D1-A, they did move back up to "major" status in 1987. ... After all, who can forget that glorious undefeated 1894 season ... 1-0 with a victory over Ohio State!

Guys we are not sure about that line either and most realistic Herd fans know that Akron is a much better team than Morgan State. We (Marshall) do not need th be playing teams like that in this day and age. Next year we open with Miami (OH) and know we will have a better opponent. I hope many Akron fans are coming to Huntington. Anyone know if your band is coming? Long range weather still calling for temps in low 80s and thunderstorms. Should be a very competitive game both ways.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

15.5 favorite seems a bit excessive to me. I would guess it would be 2 touchdowns at most if they beat us.

People were saying that last week about Wisconsin being favored by 24 and we went on to lose by nearly double that. Can we as a fan base agree to not complain about a spread until we cover this season at least once first?

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

People were saying that last week about Wisconsin being favored by 24 and we went on to lose by nearly double that. Can we as a fan base agree to not complain about a spread until we cover this season at least once first?

I'm not complaining, just stating my opinion. I couldn't care less about point spreads. I don't see Marshall beating us by 3 scores.

1 hour ago, wadszip said:

It's a technicality, but Akron was considered "major" way back in the day. ... along with just about any school that had football pre WWII. So,   while they never exactly rejoined D1-A, they did move back up to "major" status in 1987. 

So, you're saying that since there was no real divisions between programs "back in the day", then it's acceptable for every program to say that they are "rejoining" D-1A when they move their way up to the largest division?

This was clearly a case where the writer erred in their description of Akron's move in 1987, and didn't do their homework.  

21 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

So, you're saying that since there was no real divisions between programs "back in the day", then it's acceptable for every program to say that they are "rejoining" D-1A when they move their way up to the largest division?

This was clearly a case where the writer erred in their description of Akron's move in 1987, and didn't do their homework.  

Pretty much.

IMO, it's much ado about nothing, but it's not really an error. The program ... like schools that have been around for 100 years like Marshall, UMass, Connecticut, Middle Tennessee, etc., did decide to "rejoin" at some point. Schools like South Florida, Central Florida, Boise, etc., never "rejoined" because they didn't have football in the pre division era. It's a technicality, though, I'd tend to agree with the Marshall writer. For what ever reason, Akron decided to drop down when divisions came about, then decided to move back up from 1-AA in 1987.

Edited by wadszip

43 minutes ago, wadszip said:

Akron decided to drop down when divisions came about, then decided to move back up from 1-AA in 1987.

That's not correct either.  We played D-III and D-II, before moving to D-1AA, and eventually to D-1A.

And for the record, we didn't just "decide" to move divisions.  We needed to meet many requirements, which included meeting minimum attendance numbers, before our move was approved.  

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

59 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

That's not correct either.  We played D-III and D-II, before moving to D-1AA, and eventually to D-1A.

And for the record, we didn't just "decide" to move divisions.  We needed to meet many requirements, which included meeting minimum attendance numbers, before our move was approved.  

I'm not sure why this is a big deal (nor am I sure why I'm defending a Marshall writer from an article in July. I didn't realize how old that post was.) 

But it's not wrong. Like I said, it's more of a technicality than anything. But yes, Akron at one point was considered major. Then went down to DIII, then up to DII, then up DI-AA. Then "decided" to go back up to major status (DI-A ... FBS). 

Here's another technicality, while Akron has been a "major" program for 30 something years, really, it's only year four of the latest version of being major, since Bowden inherited a team that only had something like 59 scholarship players his first year.