18 minutes ago, K92 said:

Said every program in America. 

Our linebackers can't improve if we don't get some big DT's to keep the lineman off the 2nd level, I think that is our biggest hole & I'm hoping the next recruit put on this list can help & hopefully the Bowden name can get a transfer or two as well, we are small up front for D1 football

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zzx said:

I'm not going to say that Joe Corner isn't deserving of an offer, and this is just my opinion, but this seems to be a relationship building offer ... which is something I alluded to a week or so back regarding the Akron East prospects.

I'm almost certain that Joe and Reggie are cousins, so in a way, you can consider Joe a legacy recruit, considering Reggie Jr. was a high priority for the staff and Joe's uncle, Reggie Sr., is one of the best players Akron has produced in the last 20 years. So, I actually like this offer if it further deepens what seems like is already a solid relationship at McKinley, which is going to continue to produce talent especially now that Canton is down to one school ... not like Timken produced a lot of talent, but the McKinley QB was a former Timken kid (committed to Miami). 

If this is indeed a relationship building offer (and I'm sure the staff does sees potential in him), while I'm all for it in situations, hopefully those type of offers go out to kids at select schools. In Akron's case, McKinley, East and St. V's are probably at the top of that.

Anyway, I wish him the best and another local kid staying home to root for. Let's continue to lock up the "State of Akron," which definitely includes Stark County ... and hopefully down the road Cleveland and all of Northeast Ohio.

Edited by wadszip
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Our linebackers can't improve if we don't get some big DT's to keep the lineman off the 2nd level, I think that is our biggest hole & I'm hoping the next recruit put on this list can help & hopefully the Bowden name can get a transfer or two as well, we are small up front for D1 football

Big tackles are at a premium.  Personally, I am a big fan of converting big RB's into DT's.  I have said before that I think Newman Williams should be looked at for DT but as CK pointed out he is awfully injury prone to play the position.  Nico Caponi was a good DT for us because he was a physical specimen and was tough as nails.  Cody Grice was very athletic for a big man and also was a tough guy.  In recent history, other than these two guys, we have leaned heavily on transfers to come in and shore up the defensive line.  When you are so dependent on transfers, they have to come in and produce at a high level.  We can't have guys like Jelani Hamilton come in and be a total bust.  Perhaps we just got spoiled by the likes of J.D. Griggs, Keontae Hollis, C.J. James, Moses McCray, Albert Presley, Nordly Capi, Rodney Coe and Jamal Marcus.  All these guys came in and contributed to the success of the defense.  I guess we were due for a letdown.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zzx said:

Maybe they should switch Trevor Brown from OL to DL. He's athletic and big at 6'5" 285

Worth a try, I seen all the games this year & to me that is our biggest weakness, it all starts right there with no penetration & to be honest we got pushed around & that allows lineman blocking at the second level on linebackers & spells not a very good defense, get better up front on defense & I think we will have good year next year

P.S. - & hopefully by the signing of the Juco QB there is no chance in hell of last years repeat, we should have 4 active & actual QB's they will play

14 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Worth a try, I seen all the games this year & to me that is our biggest weakness, it all starts right there with no penetration & to be honest we got pushed around & that allows lineman blocking at the second level on linebackers & spells not a very good defense, get better up front on defense & I think we will have good year next year

Akron should try to get Torrodney Prevot to play Weak Side DE to fill the hole left by Jamal Markus. He is a graduate transfer from the Oregon Ducks and would be eligible to play immediately.

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Miwee posted this to twitter last night.  Couldn't find anything else on twitter about who it might be.  Another QB obviously.

Remember when everyone was freaking out about QB depth a few weeks ago? ;) Will be interesting to see who it is though.

21 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Remember when everyone was freaking out about QB depth a few weeks ago? ;) Will be interesting to see who it is though.

These moves are happening because the freaking out about QB depth was warranted.  Hopefully these guys who are coming in can play and aren't Lone Ranger 1.1 & 1.2

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Where we normally like to redshirt a true freshman, we aren't in a position to do that if we get a worthy DT. That has to be appealing to a kid to be able to come in and compete for a spot.

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Alex Ramart makes 16 verbals for 2017.  

17 verbals if you count FL LB Morris Lugo.

18 if you count McKinley DE Joe Corner.

Still plenty of room for a couple DT's & Bubba Arslanian.

I think if the coaches can follow your wishes we have a shot at a good team next year. To me it all hinges on finding DT's and TB stepping in to change the offensive

philosophy and play calling. On the offensive side of the ball I believe the greatest improvement this team faces is not in improving the talent but in improving the coaching. But make no mistake I would love to see a slew of DT's signed.

• Like 1