Over/Under: 8.5 wins this season

InTheZone

I'm going over. I understand the personnel and depth issues, but everyone in the MAC has personnel and depth issues.  I think we win Marshall and App State, drop one in conference, and get to the MAC Championship game.  Call me optimistic, but I have faith that Terry is going to continue to progress this program.

• Like 1

Seems like a good thread for a poll. Do bowl games count? I'm assuming so since you didn't type "regular season." I'm full of optimism as well, I'll go over, and hope that we can stay healthy at key positions. 

Think I'll go under with 7-5 in the regular season again. A 7-5 this year shows progress to me from last year's 7-5 because the schedule is tougher. There are big question marks at multiple positions, however. Could sway that by a few games either way. Can;t wait for the season. Anyone know when camp starts?

Edited by LZIp

I'm w/ LZip & going with under.  I think by the end of the season we'll actually be a better team than we were last year though our record won't show it.  Our schedule is just too tough this year.

VMI - W

Wisky - L

Marshall - L

Appy St. - W

Kent - W

Miami - W

WMU - L

BSU - L

Buffalo - W

Toledo - L

BUGS - L

Ohio - L

5-7.

Bulletin board material.  Prove me wrong, Zips!

Edited by Blue & Gold

K92 has the first part of my answer, so I don't need to copy it again, word for word.  

In addition, since 8.5 simply means that we need one more regular season win, and get to a bowl game, AND we have to WIN the bowl game again, that's gonna be quite a daunting task.  

5 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm w/ LZip & going with under.  I think by the end of the season we'll actually be a better team than we were last year though our record won't show it.  Our schedule is just too tough this year.

VMI - W

Wisky - L

Marshall - L

Appy St. - W

Kent - W

Miami - W

WMU - L

BSU - L

Buffalo - W

Toledo - L

BUGS - L

Ohio - L

5-7.

Bulletin board material.  Prove me wrong, Zips!

Here's what's interesting.  Everyone, regardless of the record they predict, is counting on ROAD WINS at Ken+ and Buffalo.  This is what the entire potential success of this season boils down to.  Can we duplicate those two impressive, breakthrough, season-defining performances from last year, which were at home.  Much different challenge this time, but must have the same results.  

• Like 2

Over. 8-4 regular season with a good chance at another bowl win. 2-2 OOC to start the season, 6-2 in conference. WMU, Toledo, BG all at Infocision. New & improved TC for another weapon at QB, double playmakers at WR, OSU running back. Just need OL to come together quickly to score lots of points and defense to bend not break and get some big plays. And avoid a drop-off in kicking/punting.

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Like 1

VMI - W - Chapman gets plenty of PT in this laugher. We'll see if the positive reviews of his progress are true. 

Wisky - L - New OL needs more time to gel. A 4th string OSU RB behind a new Zips OL doesn't bode well. Hopefully Bowden tries to win and opens up the offense a bit. I could see a 45-24 score.

Marshall - L - Winning at Marshall is tough. I don't know that we're at the level we need to be to beat Marshall on the road.

Appy St. - W - The litmus test for how far the Zips have progressed. I say the Zips eek out a 42-40 win, and Lane and Natson make the difference. Should be a fun D1 college football game!

Kent - W - Kent sucks, and the Zips are improving. Look for Kent to begin yet another HC search after a dismal 2016 season.

Miami - W - Miami is improving, but they aren't at the Zips level.

WMU - W - Broncos row their boat back to Michigan with a loss. But a lot of recruiting stars.

BSU - W - No comment, other than Zips win.

Buffalo - W - Buffalo hired Rob Ianello. Teams electing to hire Rob don't win. 

Toledo - L - Toledo is at another level of speed and depth. The Zips won't sneak up Toledo again...unfortunately a loss.

BUGS - W - New coach. Big holes to fill. Game @ InfoCision. Look for a big ESPN2 Zips win.

Ohio - W - The Zips can't possibly lose to OU again? Would it be for the 9th straight time? Amato holds the simple OU offense in check, and the Zips explosive offense racks up enough points for a double-digit win. Terry gets the Gatorade bath.

MAC Championship game - W:champs:

Bowl Game - W

9 wins. So I guess I get the "over?"

• Like 1

I'll play along:

W-VMI:  I am not sure how good/bad they are, but I agree with CK on his assessment, unless there are major Line issues.

L-Wisconsin: It is what it is, but if this game is close near the end......

W-Marshall. Now this years Herd team looks like Pitt from Two years ago. Do the show up, or Phone it in? I am taking the latter in this one for a much needed statement game.

W-App State: This is not you Michigan killer anymore. Just looking at who they played last season and they beat a Wyoming team that lost to Eastern, a team that the Cowboys was their first OCC ROAD FBS win this Century! They beat up on a So-So Belt last Season and it will show in this game.

W-Can't: Kent is back to being Kent again and this should be easy.

W-Miami: They are just not there yet and Focus should be the theme that week.

L-Western: IDK how good they will be, but this will be just one of those strange games.

W-Ball State: They are bad, they should be thankful that they are in the Same division as Eastern.

W-Buffalo: They are about as average as it gets in the Mac, and that is with the short Week....

L-Toledo: I have been saying it for over 20 years: Never count them out and they will NOT be phoning this one in like they did Two years ago.

W-BG: They lost a lot and the Fighting Kangaroos will win..

W-Ohio: This will finally be the year they beat them and if Ohio's season is already over, I am not sure if their Coach will be around for that one...

There you have it, 9 Wins!:rock:

Edited by lance99
  • Like 1

Regular season:  Under.

Entire 2016 Campaign: Over

W   vs. VMi

L    @ Wisconsin

W   @ Marshall

L    vs. App. State

W   @ Kent

W   vs. Miami

L    vs. WMU

W  @ Ball State

W  @ Buffalo

L  vs. Toledo

W vs. BGSU

@ Ohio

Zips get over the hump and beat both BGSU and Ohio in the same year, ending the losing streak.  They end the regular season 8-4, but pick up another win in the post season either through the MAC Championship game, or a second consecutive Bowl game to finish with 9 wins.  Go Zips.

On Wednesday, July 06, 2016 at 10:47 AM, lance99 said:

I'll play along:

W-VMI:  I am not sure how good/bad they are, but I agree with CK on his assessment, unless there are major Line issues.

L-Wisconsin: It is what it is, but if this game is close near the end......

W-Marshall. Now this years Herd team looks like Pitt from Two years ago. Do the show up, or Phone it in? I am taking the latter in this one for a much needed statement game.

W-App State: This is not you Michigan killer anymore. Just looking at who they played last season and they beat a Wyoming team that lost to Eastern, a team that the Cowboys was their first OCC ROAD FBS win this Century! They beat up on a So-So Belt last Season and it will show in this game.

W-Can't: Kent is back to being Kent again and this should be easy.

W-Miami: They are just not there yet and Focus should be the theme that week.

L-Western: IDK how good they will be, but this will be just one of those strange games.

W-Ball State: They are bad, they should be thankful that they are in the Same division as Eastern.

W-Buffalo: They are about as average as it gets in the Mac, and that is with the short Week....

L-Toledo: I have been saying it for over 20 years: Never count them out and they will NOT be phoning this one in like they did Two years ago.

W-BG: They lost a lot and the Fighting Kangaroos will win..

W-Ohio: This will finally be the year they beat them and if Ohio's season is already over, I am not sure if their Coach will be around for that one...

There you have it, 9 Wins!:rock:

I agree with this record. Is it optimistic? Yes, but after what I saw at spring ball, I am optimistic. It was the best both first and second string offense has looked over the last 3 years. I am really excited at Chapman's development at QB. Not having a viable backup made me nervous once Tommy started rolling last year. We may need Chapman's touch on the long ball to effectively leverage out speed threats at receiver. I am not worried about the offensive line. They provided ample time in spring ball against our still, excellent defense.

We lost some outstanding players, but the tale that behind them had been building and this team now sees itself as winners and that is intangible that none of these preseason articles will notice.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone care to alter their predictions based on what we've seen thus far?

I really thought we'd pull out W's against both Marshall and App, and we almost did, but I still see 9 wins on the table with the bowl game.  I don't like us this weekend against WMU or against Toledo, and I think we'll lose to one of them again in the MAC Championship, putting us at 8-5 heading into the bowl game.

I'll be happy with a MAC East title this year as the next step in our progression.

• Like 1

I'm going to stick with the under, but will up my win total to 8 instead of the 6-7 that I previously quoted. I still have us losing to WMU and Toledo so to get to 9 wins we'd have to beat everyone else, including a bowl team tbd. I feel we are capable of getting to 9, but there is no margin for error.

9 minutes ago, InTheZone said:

Anyone care to alter their predictions based on what we've seen thus far?

I really thought we'd pull out W's against both Marshall and App, and we almost did, but I still see 9 wins on the table with the bowl game.  I don't like us this weekend against WMU or against Toledo, and I think we'll lose to one of them again in the MAC Championship, putting us at 8-5 heading into the bowl game.

I'll be happy with a MAC East title this year as the next step in our progression.

Looking back, 

I am slightly on pace from my prediction from June. I honestly thought that the Defense would be better than what it has been(from the Second Half of the Kent game and Miami is too small of a sample size so far).

Nine Wins is still very possible, but it must win either the Western/Toledo game :champs:

I still like my original prediction of 7-5. Possibly 8-4, but still under the 8.5 line. Toledo and WMU should be losses. Buffalo and BGSU should be wins. OU and Ball State are probably toss ups even though I think we are better than them both. I think we'll lose to one of them because I'm not sure if we are good enough to beat every team we should yet, especially with the injuries piling up. Beat OU and we should be in Detroit at 7-5.

Prove me wrong fellas.