2017 Zips soccer recruiting

the 2016 season hasn't even started and commitments for 2017 have already started

Top drawer soccer shows young Mr. Kamal as a midfielder from Carbondale, Illinois.

The SLSG abbreviation stands for a St. Louis team.

Top drawer soccer also shows midfielder Daniel Strachan from Lakewood, OH as being a zip 2017 recruit

Great find @TennZip. More on Kuzain Wan Kamal...

http://saintlouisfc.com/sports/msoc/2016-17/releases/20160521k9fxyu

... Kuzain, a class for 2017 product, has played for SLSG Illinois, been selected to train with the U17 U.S. National Team and Dutch club Feyenoord as well.  ...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

Great find @TennZip. More on Kuzain Wan Kamal...

http://saintlouisfc.com/sports/msoc/2016-17/releases/20160521k9fxyu

... Kuzain, a class for 2017 product, has played for SLSG Illinois, been selected to train with the U17 U.S. National Team and Dutch club Feyenoord as well.  ...

Fantastic analysis by Eddie Truly Reds!

I am happy to learn of our new 2017 recruit, Kuzain Wan Kamal.  Another skilled midfielder to Akron!  What are the odds?!?!?

But I am equally impressed by Eddie Truly Reds' criticism of said player.  I wonder if this guy  has more work for us to view. 

I totally see futbol with like eyes.

Below is what Top Drawer soccer had to say about zip recruit Daniel Strachan shortly after he committed to Akron for 2017

Daniel Strachan, Midfielder, Internationals SC – Strachan can play in either a defensive midfield or center back role, and has made an early verbal commitment to Akron.

• Like 1

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/recruiting-roundup:-july-22_aid39502

Travis clark and top drawer soccer say that the zips have 2 more commits for 2017

Midfielder Marc Alexander (Century V SC/Kiski School) committed to Akron for the class of 2017.

Forward David Egbo (Century V SC/Kiski School) committed to Akron for the class of 2017.

Here's what TDS wrote about young Mr Kamal:  (BTW, I can't remember Akron ever or at least recently having a Scott Gallagher player -- that's a GREAT program -- one that Indiana has long had a pipeline to.)

Wan Kuzain Wan Kamal, Midfielder, St. Louis Scott Gallagher Metro
IMG Academy 150: #81
Class: 2017
Commitment: Akron

Given the program’s disposition towards the technical elements of the beautiful game, it’s never surprising to see the nation’s best creative players flock to Akron.

The latest if one of the best in his class: Malaysian-American midfielder Wan Kuzain Wan Kamal out of St. Louis powerhouse Scott Gallagher.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Here's what TDS wrote about young Mr Kamal:  (BTW, I can't remember Akron ever or at least recently having a Scott Gallagher player -- that's a GREAT program -- one that Indiana has long had a pipeline to.)

Wan Kuzain Wan Kamal, Midfielder, St. Louis Scott Gallagher Metro
IMG Academy 150: #81
Class: 2017
Commitment: Akron

Given the program’s disposition towards the technical elements of the beautiful game, it’s never surprising to see the nation’s best creative players flock to Akron.

The latest if one of the best in his class: Malaysian-American midfielder Wan Kuzain Wan Kamal out of St. Louis powerhouse Scott Gallagher.

Notorious Z.I.P., where you been?!?!?

Right!  I cannot recall Zips getting a Scott Gallagher player.  Bloomington usually gets their pick of that litter.  Sweet!

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, 330Zip said:

Don't know if this necessarily belongs in this thread. However rumors are out Freshman GK Jeremy Pollard is transferring. Nothing official but Grand Canyon seems to be the school he is going to be headed to.

That is not good news at all. From the little that I saw preseason (and spring) I thought Pollard was our #1.  He is too good to sit the bench.

15 hours ago, 330Zip said:

Don't know if this necessarily belongs in this thread. However rumors are out Freshman GK Jeremy Pollard is transferring. Nothing official but Grand Canyon seems to be the school he is going to be headed to.

Only 1 goal keeper is able to get playing time.  I think that every one expected that at least 1 of last year's 4 goal keepers would transfer.   I never had a chance to see Jeremy play.  Zip_ME87 was nice enough to introduce me to Jeremy's parents before the Georgetown game.  His parents are very nice people and they were very nice to me when I saw them the next weekend before the San Diego State game.   I hope that the rumor is not true but I wish Jeremy and his family nothing but the best if he opts to transfer to get a lot of playing time.

15 hours ago, 330Zip said:

I'm very sorry to hear this, but not completely surprised. It was apparent throughout the season that Nick Costa was the 2016 backup and that both Jeremy and Tor Saunders were redshirting. I have not seen Tor play, but I liked Jeremy's performance in the Spring. Great young man. Great parents. If he is transferring, I still wish him the best. With 4 GK's, I expected to lose at least 1; maybe 2.

Things have been very quiet on the recruiting front. Throughout the season, it seemed there were potential recruits making visits; however, I have no specifics.

I've heard nothing but good things from Jeremy Pollard but he was the preseason number one GK, lost his job due to other reasons and not performance. I've heard he was the best goalie on the team but academics were holding him back from seeing the field. Once he got his grades up coaches didn't go back to him. Sucks to lose him and wish things would have worked out. However like most of you said above, only one GK can see the field. With his skills he can't be riding the bench he didn't come all the way to Akron from Australia with offers from places like Clemson and UCLA to ride the pine. Best wishes to him and I hope he does great things. 

• 1 month later...

This is as close to the appropriate place for this as I can find.  Travis Clark ranks the MLS Academy teams.  Surprised by some things, like the new clubs (e.g., Atl United, Orlando) being above older clubs.  I expected Portland Timbers to be higher, frankly.  And I have a personal interest in the player Travis mentions as the top player on Seattle Sounders -- Shandon Hopeau is a local O'ahu kid who graduated from HS here last year.  I would LOVE to see that name on a Zips roster!  He has incredible ball skills and acrobatic moves in the box.  Only problem is he MAY have played pro briefly in Croatia last Summer.  Not sure.  Have to assume Jared is aware of him.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/how-they-rank:-the-best-mls-academies_aid41352?utm_source=TopDrawerSoccer+Newsletter&utm_campaign=63746fe581-TDS_Weekend_1-22-17&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8340315a79-63746fe581-31214089

• 2 weeks later...