• Kwadarrius Smith is still listed as an "athlete." Can we pick a position for the guy?
  • Darius Copeland is listed at 266 lbs. Wasn't he 300+ in his Freshman season? 
  • Fransohn Bickley returns for his senior season. There's a story in there somewhere...
  • Daumantas Venckus - I liked this kid last season. I look forward to him making a bigger impact in 2016.
  • DJ Jones from Ravenna is still hanging around? Seems like he's been here forever.
  • Travonte Junius - 6' 3", 198 Soph. Tough to be a D1 LB at 198 lbs. Wonder if that's a misprint?
  • Newman Williams - 6' 2", 273 lbs. Listed as a TE/LB? He was always a thick kid...but 273 lbs? Holy Moley. Hope he can stay healthy for more than a few plays this season. 
  • Hayden Grover still hanging around as a long snapper? His web site still stands as one of the all-time best. Unfortunately, I think it now belongs to the ages...
  • At 6' 5", 302 lbs, Jelani Hamilton will either be an absolute force, or winner of the Ryan Bain award for most imposing Zips DL in street clothes. Let's hope he's healthy, and it's the former.
  • Like 1

It's already been mentioned on this board, but Tyler Shipman and Josh McNeil are both no longer on the roster. I've heard it was academic issues for both. Don't want to speculate, but it came from pretty reliable sources who have always given me accurate information regarding Akron football. 

I’ll give 8 quick thoughts –

1.)   Interesting that Ball is listed as the #1 back already. That’s exciting to see. He must have made a good impression since he arrived on campus.

2.)   In passing situations, we can have 5 wideouts, including – Lane, Natson, Wolf, Traylor-Bennett, and <insert next best wideout here>. That will be awesome.

3.)   NOW we finally have some line depth. And a ton of Juniors. That really bodes well for next year. Hope we bring in a lot of Freshman OL’s in the ’17 class and redshirt them. Then we’ll really have some solid long-term depth for the future.

4.)   Kicking position scares the bejeebers out of me.

5.)   I’ll be disappointed if Jones doesn’t overtake Hope for the starting FC job.

6.)   Our DL looks awesome.

7.)   Junius has the leg up on Bell? That’s another battle that bears watching in camp.

8.)   I love our secondary.

Linebacker still seems to be a glaring weakness. Hopefully we get some pleasant surprises. The PT is there for the taking for whomever wants it.

• Like 2

I'd like to see the Mich transfer (still not on roster) at LT even though Brown is supposed to be very good. Noticed that Hamilton did not make the two deep (for now). Ritz is showing his versatility as he now is at RG. Coaches may want the two experienced lineman (Ritz and Erickson) on opposite sides of the center.       

Edited by UA1987

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

I'm usually in the school of thought that these coaches see these guys every day, and they must not think he needs to be on the field.

Maybe they have labeled Newman with the same condition they found Jarrod Pughsley had when Bowden & Co. arrived in 2012?

On August 5, 2016 at 9:57 AM, K92 said:

Maybe they have labeled Newman with the same condition they found Jarrod Pughsley had when Bowden & Co. arrived in 2012?

Keener, can you refresh my memory on this.  Was Pughsley overweight?  Did the coaches think they needed to light a fire under him?

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Keener, can you refresh my memory on this.  Was Pughsley overweight?  Did the coaches think they needed to light a fire under him?

Yes.  I found an old article on it.  http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories/zips-football-jarrod-pughsley-transforms-from-overweight-walk-on-to-starting-left-tackle-1.300947

It doesn't say it in this article, but I believe Tank's initial assessment of Jarrod was that he had a lot of potential, but was "TFF". :rofl:

Edited by K92
  • Like 1

With players reporting for camp yesterday, it appears the roster has been updated.

Newcomers:

James King, OLB, transfer from Miami. Must sit out 2016.

http://247sports.com/Player/James-King-32214?Institution=9093

Michael Butler, Redshirt Senior DB transfer from Western Michigan. Assuming he is eligible.

Jon Semerene, PK, Miami. Assuming he is out this year.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/15010862/miami-hurricanes-dismiss-kicker-jon-semerene

Logan Tulley-Tillman is finally on there.

Freddie Simmons Jr. WR. Even though its not listed on there, he looks like an original commit to NC State. He is class of 2015 and was redshirted...so I'm not sure if that means he is eligible or not.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Freddie-Simmons-43426/RecruitInterests

There are also some new freshman/redshirt freshman/sophomores added. I'm assuming we recruited most of them..but its so hard to keep track of with all of the non qualifiers and such.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2