Game 4—Appalachian State Mountaineers

AppinSC

Just wanted to stop by and get some conversation started about our upcoming September game with Akron. Looked at your season record prediction thread and noticed that there is not much respect for App in there..... Just remember, we might be in the SunBelt but we are just now getting up to 85 scholarship level as of this coming season and won 11 games last season including a win over Ohio. App has a tough start to our schedule with games at Tennessee and a home tilt with Miami (not the Ohio variety) but many of our fans are looking to see how we stack up against a tough non conference foe like Akron. Looking forward to the game and I might make it to this one as I have relatives in Minerva that I need to see anyway. I see this as a really good FBS G5 matchup. We have a spread option attack on offense with a talented qb in Taylor Lamb who set our all time record for td passes last season as a soph. We also have a stable of about 4 running backs that can all tote the rock including Marcus Cox who has gone over 1000 yards each of his first 3 seasons. With that said , it is our Defense that really dictates how we play. Very physical linebackers and 9 returning starters from last season. 

Give me some info on Akron and your thoughts on this matchup. 

• Like 4

App State is getting overlooked because, despite winning 11 games, they're the third toughest non-conference game on our schedule, behind road trips to Wisconsin and Marshall.

As far as what kind of team Akron is, here's a (very) general overview: On offense, our QB was a pleasant surprise last year after starting out as the 3rd string backup but there's a lot of room for improvement. Our RB is a big question grad transfer Warren Ball from Ohio State is expected to be the feature back. The WRs are fast, talented, and deep. The O-line is a patchwork of transfers and youth with some talent but it's kind of an unknown. Defensively, the DL is good and DE in particular is the most talented position on the roster. They will make your QB's life miserable. LB is a massive question mark, but the DBs look pretty good.

Most importantly, this is the first Akron team in a decade that's going into the season with confidence and swagger. Terry Bowden has them believing that they can beat anybody.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AppinSC said:

Looked at your season record prediction thread and noticed that there is not much respect for App in there.

Appalachian State 34 Michigan 32...respect earned awhile ago. Hope you are able to make the trip, good luck to you. I'm looking forward to the game. 

29 minutes ago, LosAngelesZipFan said:

respect for getting Miami (and Idaho) at home!   What's the story behind that?

Miami has trouble getting people to games that aren't against premier opponents. They actually have a few home and homes with G5 teams scheduled in the coming years as it is more profitable for them to schedule a home and home then pay the $1M/yr or so that it would cost for the guarantee game. Below is a link to what their crowd looked like when they hosted Bethune-Cookman.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/10/inside_the_numbers_college_foo.html

6 hours ago, AppinSC said:

Just wanted to stop by and get some conversation started about our upcoming September game with Akron. Looked at your season record prediction thread and noticed that there is not much respect for App in there..... Just remember, we might be in the SunBelt but we are just now getting up to 85 scholarship level

Ahh.  The struggles to get up to D-1A levels.  I remember that so well as a mid-80's Zips fan.  

That conference is pretty bad, you must admit.  But if you guys can unseat Arkansas State as the "powerhouse" someday, you'll be well on your way to earning respect as a D-1A program.   

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:59 AM, AppinSC said:

Just wanted to stop by and get some conversation started about our upcoming September game with Akron. Looked at your season record prediction thread and noticed that there is not much respect for App in there..... Just remember, we might be in the SunBelt but we are just now getting up to 85 scholarship level as of this coming season and won 11 games last season including a win over Ohio. App has a tough start to our schedule with games at Tennessee and a home tilt with Miami (not the Ohio variety) but many of our fans are looking to see how we stack up against a tough non conference foe like Akron. Looking forward to the game and I might make it to this one as I have relatives in Minerva that I need to see anyway. I see this as a really good FBS G5 matchup. We have a spread option attack on offense with a talented qb in Taylor Lamb who set our all time record for td passes last season as a soph. We also have a stable of about 4 running backs that can all tote the rock including Marcus Cox who has gone over 1000 yards each of his first 3 seasons. With that said , it is our Defense that really dictates how we play. Very physical linebackers and 9 returning starters from last season. 

I don't think there is any disrespect for App State in Akron. Your team will most probably come in favored. We have heard of your highly rated offensive line and your history of winning. I like that your coach was brought up through the ranks and that you have the majority of your players on your roster from the Carolina's, which says you have great fan backing. Akron, on the other hand has had a long tough road in DIV IA or FBS. We have just now turned the corner, but we rank #2 in the nation as the team with the LEAST returning starters in 2016. We do, however, have a lot of talent on this team and we also have good coaching. I point to this game as the most interesting non-conference game on our schedule and it could go a long way in defining our season. BIG GAME!         

Edited by UA1987

1 hour ago, UA1987 said:

I don't think there is any disrespect for App State in Akron. 

I think he meant was referring to my post, which was particularly scathing and disrespectful:

Appy St. - W - The litmus test for how far the Zips have progressed. I say the Zips eek out a 42-40 win, and Lane and Natson make the difference. Should be a fun D1 college football game!

Yeah, looking back at that thread I don't really see much, if any, shade thrown App State way. Just because not everyone picked Akron to lose in what will likely be a small spread game, doesn't mean App State was disrespected. There were just as many, if not more, that had Akron under the 8.5 win total. Pretty much everyone that had the under didn't submit a week by week projected result. Had they you would have likely seen several projected losses to App St. 

On 7/28/2016 at 9:59 AM, AppinSC said:

I would like to start by saying Welcome to ZipsNation! It is always good to have visitors from another Conference!

I told myself that this is the game that will make, or break the Season for us Fighting Kangaroos, and it might be for your Mountaineers also. I will be the first one to admit that I found your record last year suspect. Yeah, you beat Wyoming, but Eastern Michigan did also(was Eastern's first FBS OCC Road win this Century, that how bad the Cowboy's was). With that being said, we had two common opponents last year: Louisiana Lafayette in which I did not know that it was that bad there during the season and Ohio, whom you beat in your Bowl Game. So basically that is a wash.

I am excited for this game this season because this is a team after next year, we may never see each other on the field again. I know that this will be a statement game for both of us, so get excited and if you plan to visit, pick our brains on where to go while you are here :D

Edited by lance99
changed "the" to "your"

On 7/28/2016 at 2:59 PM, LosAngelesZipFan said:

respect for getting Miami (and Idaho) at home!   What's the story behind that?

The way I hear it is that Miami needed a game (someone bailed last minute this spring) and App took them up on it. However, we have a fairly aggressive AD and he insisted on a home and home with us getting them in Boone first. They agreed to it and App Nation is super excited about getting the Canes in Boone, NC on September 17th. It is supposed to be a noon kick on ESPN. 

On 7/28/2016 at 3:52 PM, skip-zip said:

Ahh.  The struggles to get up to D-1A levels.  I remember that so well as a mid-80's Zips fan.  

That conference is pretty bad, you must admit.  But if you guys can unseat Arkansas State as the "powerhouse" someday, you'll be well on your way to earning respect as a D-1A program.   

Yes, it is a bit of a struggle getting to 85 schollies. This will be our first year at the full number but you have to understand that we only have two FBS recruiting classes in getting to that number. Coach Satterfield has done a great job with what he has to work with and App Nation is looking forward to seeing how high our ceiling can be. Now, in reference to the "bad conference" comment, I will look at it this way. App beat Ohio , who I totally understand is no juggernaut, but it was our first bowl game. Additionally, a brother to the south who moved up with us (Georgia Southern) took Bowling Green to the woodshed in last seasons bowl game. That is the only time you will ever hear me taking up for GS but had to make a point. :)

Now, App State does recognize the importance of this matchup and like I said in my very first post, wants to see how we match up against a good G5 program like Akron. Best of luck in your coming season and come on over to http://www.yosefscabin.com/ (Mountaineer Message Board) as the game gets closer . 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, AppinSC said:

Yes, it is a bit of a struggle getting to 85 schollies. This will be our first year at the full number but you have to understand that we only have two FBS recruiting classes in getting to that number. Coach Satterfield has done a great job with what he has to work with and App Nation is looking forward to seeing how high our ceiling can be. Now, in reference to the "bad conference" comment, I will look at it this way. App beat Ohio , who I totally understand is no juggernaut, but it was our first bowl game. Additionally, a brother to the south who moved up with us (Georgia Southern) took Bowling Green to the woodshed in last seasons bowl game. That is the only time you will ever hear me taking up for GS but had to make a point. :)

Now, App State does recognize the importance of this matchup and like I said in my very first post, wants to see how we match up against a good G5 program like Akron. Best of luck in your coming season and come on over to http://www.yosefscabin.com/ (Mountaineer Message Board) as the game gets closer . 

Hey, don't get me wrong.  I think you guys have made a little noise in a relatively short amount of time.  But I think it's tough to point to a couple of games, especially near-meaningless bowl games, to make a case for the league, one way or another.  

That's why, if you are going to stay in the Sun Belt for awhile, ASU is really your measuring stick.  And they blew you guys out on your home field last year.  If you can fare better in those key games going forward, I think you'll be able to gain some respect outside of just being a good team in a bottom league.  

As far as our game is concerned, we really don't know where we stand.  I'm sure we all appreciate that you regard us as a good program, but we have nearly 3/4 of our starters to replace, and it's a mystery as to how good we can possibly play early in the season.   

The Mountaineer game is going to be a tough one.  Hopefully, the Zips can come up with a great game plan and execute well to grab the victory.  It is certainly a game that I look forward to seeing.  However, I have to chime in on this MAC vs. Sun Belt topic that has been hinted at.

It's hard to put a lot of stock in whatever happens in bowl games, especially using those results to rank the strength of conferences, they are meaningless post-season exhibitions.  Before the advent of the BCS, they added something into the calculation for the Mythical National Champion, but since 1998, the only post season games that have mattered have been the semi-final and championship games.  All others have meant sweet F.A.  Bragging rights only.

That being said, however, Georgia Southern destroyed Bowling Green in the Go Daddy Bowl last year.  This was a GS team that was in its first year of bowl eligibility against the MIGHTY MAC champ; a MAC champ that disemboweled the Zips.  After that dark day in October as the Zips took that long ride home from Wood County after a 59-10 shellacking, there were many on this board that put forth the notion that the Zips had nothing to be ashamed of because the Falcons were really, really, really, really, really, really good.  The Eagles must not have read that thread.

Helpful hint to anyone that may ever feel like they might want to. . .  No MAC fan should ever look down on any other conference.  Just sayin'.

I don't know a whole lot about ASU, but I am impressed by their level of fan support.  Obviously, ASU students and alumni would rather watch their alma mater play in person rather than staying home to watch UNC, NCSU, WF or Duke.  School pride!  A concept that never took on a foothold in the MAC.

If you do make it up to the game, stop by the tailgate and introduce yourself, AppinSC.  We are actually pretty nice for a bunch of damn Yankees. :thumb:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AppinSC said:

BG was also playing without their head coach that bailed for Syracuse. They didn't even look like they wanted to be playing in that game. Hard to blame them. 

It would be great to get a SunBelt vs MAC ooc series going with Ark St vs Bowling Green, App vs Toledo, GS vs Akron or Ohio, etc.... Those are the types of ooc matchups that I look forward to each season. This year , we have Tennessee, Miami, Old Dominion and you guys. Good luck to you in your season outside of that 9/24 tilt.

1 hour ago, AppinSC said:

What happened to your great HC Jerry Moore?

14 minutes ago, K92 said:

I don't know a whole lot about ASU, but I am impressed by their level of fan support.  Obviously, ASU students and alumni would rather watch their alma mater play in person rather than staying home to watch UNC, NCSU, WF or Duke.  School pride! 

Great point.  That's something worth looking into even further.  It's actually pretty shameful when you see the potential draw that an area like Akron has, vs. Boone, NC.