Game 4—Appalachian State Mountaineers

AppinSC

In my building I recently had a conversation with a lady who lives on my floor.  She's an old school Ohio State honk, but her and her daughter will be going to the game against App. State.  She said it's the first Zips game that they've ever been to, but she said she couldn't wait to see the the team that beat Michigan, and the team that almost beat Michigan, play (not to mention she has heard good things about the Zips).  It's probably because OSU has a bye-week this week, but hopefully the Zips can put on a nice show for them.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, App90 said:

Good Luck this Saturday, you guys have a really good team and this Akron Vs ASU match up is an interesting one.  From an ASU perspective our team has been flat since the 2nd half of ODU, they may have been playing to just get the win.  But with that being said against ODU and UM they were a Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde bunch.  What I see from Akron is consistency and solid execution which ASU is lacking right now.  Example snapping the ball over our QB's head while on Miami's 2 yard line, multiple 15 yard penalties that takes them out of their drives. Then there's the consistent false starts at least 2-3 a game and they can happen even if its quiet.  Then there's the inability to get the defensive calls in.  Our guys get caught standing around after UM snapped the ball. Then there's our DB's peeking into the backfield while WR's run past our CB's time and time again in the ODU and Miami game.  ODU sort of showed ASU's weak spots, Miami exploited them.  All of this spells doom this Saturday for ASU.  Its just too much to fix in 5 days. And I don't buy that UM caused all of these mistakes. I hope I'm wrong but I see Akron beating them like a drum and then maybe that will motivate them to execute going into Sun Belt play, they are not quitters just prone to mistakes.  Either way ill be in Ohio this weekend as my wife is from that area.  Hope to have a fun this weekend no matter the outcome.  You guys are a classy bunch.  Sorry for the bad spelling....

My wife and I will be there too.  Go APPS.

3 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Bowden and Milwee did a nice job picking on a freshman corner at Marshall. I would expect that they will be looking to expose any weakness they can find against App State and that your guys will be looking for the best way they can to shut us down....I do think our run game is good enough that it can't be ignored and we have guys who can catch out of the backfield. We may also see a little JoJo out of the backfield at some point on a Jet Bubble Sweep.

Agreed, I think coach Milwee is off to his best start in Akron. If the Mountaineers play cover 2, as indicated by App fan previously, coach Milwee will be attacking this defense different from last week. Look for a lot of high/low routes from receivers. The Zips will need to draw some safety attention deep to attack underneath. The Zips receiving corp is deep enough to handle the task. X and Z's should bring their track shoes Saturday. I would expect to see a lot of rotation. Watch to see if the Mountaineers mix their cover 2 to try to confuse Woodson, I know I sure would. He is too good to play man. I would be careful running any long developing "stretch" plays against the Mountaineers. I would prefer to run some screens, and those quick outside throws to Lane when I see those safeties too far back. Woodson scores too easy on the long ball, take that away, and make him beat you underneath. Make the Zips work in the red zone, that's how I would defend. The Zips will need to run the ball effectively if this is the way they get defended. Ball will be missed. Weather looks perfect, I'm hoping for a great game. 

I watched the first half of the App State/Miami game last night. A few things I noticed...

• App State struggled with substitutions in the no huddle offense. We traditionally run a no huddle, though not really at a fast pace it seems. If we speed things up, we can catch them off guard.
  • They like to keep LBs in the box. Not sure if this was a game plan explicit for Miami, but they had a lot of success on quick/bubble screens. I'm thinking Jojo Natson will have yet another big game.
  • Their passing offense just didn't impress me much. QB is a decent runner though, capable of running the option.
  • I think them losing their RB is a big loss. The back up isn't bad, but the starter looked just that good.
  • The run a lot of different formations (as was pointed out earlier in the thread), but not a lot of different plays. Not sure how much that will be changed up now that it seems their stud is out.

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

I watched the first half of the App State/Miami game last night. A few things I noticed...

• They like to keep LBs in the box. Not sure if this was a game plan explicit for Miami, but they had a lot of success on quick/bubble screens. I'm thinking Jojo Natson will have yet another big game.

Yes, agree. Maybe we see A.J. Coney worked in a little more, too.

8 hours ago, Balsy said:

In my building I recently had a conversation with a lady who lives on my floor.  She's an old school Ohio State honk, but her and her daughter will be going to the game against App. State.  She said it's the first Zips game that they've ever been to, but she said she couldn't wait to see the the team that beat Michigan, and the team that almost beat Michigan, play.

It's amazing how a progrum can become notorious forever for one landmark win.   That certainly means much more than our "almost win" in Ann Arbor, which was probably soon forgotten.  But, I probably will never forget Akron running that final play from the 1 yard line.  I think it's the closest I've ever gotten to a real heart attack.....well....other than about 5 or 6 of our basketball MAC tournament games.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit
  • Like 1

A quick Zips-related strip club story -

Back in the Rubber Bowl days, "Rumors" was a strip club across the street from the stadium entrance. Heading into the stadium circa 2004, my 3-year old son in his back booster seat asked "What's that place?" I said "Rumors. Its a place where girls dance on tables." 

He says - "Can we go there?"

I reply - "Maybe after the game."

After the game we're heading home and pass Rumors. I thought the kid was asleep, but he starts screaming "YOU PROMISED WE'D GO TO RUMORS! I WANNA GO TO RUMORS!" Tears were streaming down his face.

We hopped on 77 North and went home. It took him at least 10 minutes to settle down. 

Go Zips._stripper__by_black13roses.gif

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

A quick Zips-related strip club story -

Back in the Rubber Bowl days, "Rumors" was a strip club across the street from the stadium entrance. Heading into the stadium circa 2004, my 3-year old son in his back booster seat asked "What's that place?" I said "Rumors. Its a place where girls dance on tables." 

He says - "Can we go there?"

I reply - "Maybe after the game."

After the game we're heading home and pass Rumors. I thought the kid was asleep, but he starts screaming "YOU PROMISED WE'D GO TO RUMORS! I WANNA GO TO RUMORS!" Tears were streaming down his face.

We hopped on 77 North and went home. It took him at least 10 minutes to settle down. 

Go Zips._stripper__by_black13roses.gif

You could have stopped at the Bucket Shop on your way home.:P

21 hours ago, skip-zip said:

That was an exciting season for more reasons than being the best record in our I-A history.   It was also our first season in the MAC, after playing about 5 seasons as an Independent, so there was a prize to play for.  But most memorable for me was that Toledo Acme/Zip game where Daron Alcorn kicked the 56 yard field goal to end it.  Still to this day, that might be the best Steve French radio call of all time.   

That's interesting that the OOC games were at the back end of the schedule.  

One of my favorite Rubber Bowl games of all time along with the Marshall game where the Thundering Herd was carrying Byron Leftwich to the line of scrimmage. There was also the win against Northern Illinois maybe 10-15 years back. Some great memories at the RB. Time to create some memories at the Info. How about starting with the game this Saturday.

1 hour ago, Kangaroo Craig said:

One of my favorite Rubber Bowl games of all time along with the Marshall game where the Thundering Herd was carrying Byron Leftwich to the line of scrimmage. There was also the win against Northern Illinois maybe 10-15 years back.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about this wild come-from-behind shootout that went to overtime in 2005, which was the MAC title year.  

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=252672006

Edited by skip-zip
edit
  • Like 1

For the most part, it seems as though the App State fan base, media, and coaches are giving us the respect, I think we deserve. I am really looking forward to a great football game! If we are able to pull off a win against App State after the pounding we gave Marshall, people are going to start standing up and taking notice in the football world. It's hard not to be excited about where we are headed, as a progrum.

35 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

For the most part, it seems as though the App State fan base, media, and coaches are giving us the respect, I think we deserve.

I wonder if they may have taken us far less seriously without that performance last week?

36 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

If we are able to pull off a win against App State after the pounding we gave Marshall, people are going to start standing up and taking notice in the football world. It's hard not to be excited about where we are headed, as a progrum.

I think it's GREAT for us.  But, likely very premature to impress Joe Akron.  Or maybe you're referring to the national state with the term "the football world"?  If that's the case, you're very early on that one.  

9 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Ever the optimist...

Ever the realist who understands our history, our fans, and the college football fans in this area. 

With that said, I will always hope that I am wrong when correcting people who have unrealistic expectations about fan behavior in this area.  

Guys, give it until the WMU game to see if we've made any impact.  I think that's possible.  

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

I believe it is Ap-uh-Latch-un.

Definitely APP-UH-LATCH-UN ! Thanks for caring. Our new chancellor was speaking to some group and pronounced it the other way (she is from Nebraska) and alum base was about to lynch her :)

On another note, App Nation has the utmost respect for y'alls program. Many of us understand Terry Bowden's background (southern roots) and get the fact that he was definitely in rebuilding mode when he arrived. He has obviously done a really solid job of getting you back to where you are. I look at our tilt against the Zips as a real blue collar, bring your lunch mentality, game and expect to be entertained this Saturday. 

App has a lot of returning starters but are struggling with getting the young players integrated into the lineup , especially at wide receiver. Our defense is strong along the front 7 and our secondary has lots of upside athletically but have not gelled as of yet. 

Taylor Lamb at qb will not beat you with his arm but is a very reliable compliment to our rushing attack. Wish that we both had our top tailbacks in there this week but it is what it is.......  Good luck for no injuries and hope that we do the same. Should be a really good game. 

• Like 2