Game 4—Appalachian State Mountaineers

AppinSC

15 minutes ago, tomzip said:

Yes...great coach huh outsider...loved the intensity of app state coaches running on the field after every big play. 

What exactly is your point? We lost by a touchdown to a team who was favored to win by a touchdown. Are you implying we lost because our headcoach doesn't run out on to the field after every big play?

43 minutes ago, tomzip said:

Can we get a kick-off into the end zone one time. Their starting field position has been great. How many first downs these guys have 25?...Chuck sucks

Chuck as in Chuck Amato?  The defense has been the staple of this team for the last 3-years of this coaching staff...and now all of a sudden Amato sucks?  Calm Down, Don't over react.  There's a lot of young players on Defense; and they stepped up to give the offense a chance.  

• Like 1

Side note:  I dropped my phone in the stadium today and didn't realize I did until I was already in my seat.  Staff in the stadium were very helpful, but no one had turned it in.  I activated find my iphone (and locked it with instructions of how to get it back to me) it was still in the stadium. Someone found it, because they pressed the buttons on the screen to acknowledge that it had been found.  3 hours latter no contact, and no-one turned it into the UAPD (or the stadium staff who would ultimately give it to the UAPD).  I'm kinda bummed, because that means a Zips fan (or App. State visitor) took my phone, and that'd be a real shame.  

I hate calling specific players out (and our problems on D are definitely not isolated to one position), but we are really getting hurt at the most important position on Defense - MLB. I said on here before the season that MLB should be the main concern for this team, and it unfortunately is coming to fruition. I would not be surprised to see more of John Lako next week. 

App. St has a great offensive line. So while understanding games are not transitive this is the team that took Tennessee to overtime (and should have beaten them) the same Tennessee that has taken out Virginia Tech and Florida. Tough game against a good team. Zips should be fine I don't think there's a team in the East that can compare to App State

• Like 2

Good game Zips ! Watched it this afternoon and it was most definitely an enjoyable game to watch from a fan standpoint. Our back up tailback had a whale of a game but our offensive line was dominant at times. You guys have a very strong passing game and your qb put the ball in some tight windows and challenged our db's all day long. Good luck the rest of your season. Will definitely be pulling for you guys in your bowl matchup (as long as it is not against us again :)  )

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, AppinSC said:

Good game Zips ! Watched it this afternoon and it was most definitely an enjoyable game to watch from a fan standpoint. Our back up tailback had a whale of a game but our offensive line was dominant at times. You guys have a very strong passing game and your qb put the ball in some tight windows and challenged our db's all day long. Good luck the rest of your season. Will definitely be pulling for you guys in your bowl matchup (as long as it is not against us again :)  )

Thanks for stopping back. It was enjoyable - more so for you :) Your defense gave our offense a good challenge, today and your run game man-handled our defense. I hope you guys have a great season!

Positives from today:

• Great weather - 2 games in a row!
  • No ridiculous personal foul penalties, under 75 yards in penalties - big improvement
  • We were perfect in the SunChips Red Zone. (5-5)
  • Coney (avg 13.3 yds/reception) and Edwards (avg 12.7 yds/carry) played well. We will not be in a lurch when Natson graduates.
  • Natson and Lane, again had strong games.
  • The offensive line continues to play well enough for us to win. How great is it that we will not lose anyone after this year from the OL?
  • Tommy continues to make good decisions. Yes, he had two interceptions, but made 43 attempted passes (31-43, 15.8 QB rating)  
  • MTB made a couple of great plays at key times.
  • Our PK was perfect on extra points and FGs.
  • 486 yards of offense
  • Time of possession was closer (33:53 AS/26:07 UA)
  • Mental toughness - ability to come back
  • I thought the run game was as good as we needed it to be and Edwards, Morgan, and MTB made the best of their opportunities. Edwards has speed.
  • We were pretty even in yards/play (AS 7.3/UA 7.0)
  • We converted their turn-over to points.
  • No fumbles.

Areas of Concern:

• Defense, especially the run defense. IMHO, it was not a coaching or strategy issue, we were beat by physicality and talent. That being said, some nice stops in Q4, when I was most concerned about fatigue. The defense seems to lack big plays. I don't think that any one person is terrible, we just don't have anyone standing out as spectacular. I think some of our best play is coming from Guiser, Featherstone, and Hope on D. Kyron Brown was also starting to emerge. I hope he is better, soon.
  • 2 interceptions - both times were probably balls that should not have been thrown, although I think Lane was held on the second pick. I am not terribly concerned, considering Tommy threw 43 passes today, but something to improve upon as Tommy moves forward. No one was more frustrated than him.
  •  Kick offs have to be better, both kicking deeper and better tackling and coverage. Our defense is not strong enough to give up an extra 15-20 yards on every kick off.
  • Disappointed to see a kid who was arrested for fighting not sitting out, at all.
  • We were sacked four times, we made no sacks
  • As was noted early, we had one more turnover than they and it translated to one more score than us.

App State was more physical on offense than the average MAC team. I feel pretty confident that we can win the games we should and we should be able to challenge CMU and Toledo, and maybe win one of those. The MAC East is within reach.

• Like 1

I think the only real thing that upset me about this game is that we gave up so many big gains on running plays on first downs.  It upset me because they seemed to run nearly every time, and we still couldn't stop it.  This led to 2nd and short, or 3rd and short, all game long.  We were playing in these situations repeatedly.  It made it really tough to ever get our defense off the field.  

It's a real shame that we did so much to get back in the game in the 4th Quarter, and took 2 sacks and give up the ball without getting a single first down.  Was 4 linemen and 7 guys in coverage supposed to be a surprise with 2 minutes left in the game and a chance to tie?  Did we not expect them to do this?  Don't we have plays for that situation, like I am sure that any team would have? It just seemed like a situation in which we were woefully unprepared.  

We were nearly in control of the game with a 14-10 lead, and ASU had the ball with a 3rd and about 10 in their own territory.  We didn't make that stop, they got the ball back, scored rather easily, and forced us into an INT, and got the ball and scored again.  From that point forward, we scrambled to play catch-up.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit

43 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:
  • Disappointed to see a kid who was arrested for fighting not sitting out, at all

Are you telling us that you know something about the case?

Do you know that it was "fighting", or an accusation of someone hitting someone, or a false claim of someone hitting someone? 

If you don't have any information, please wait for the facts to come out.  There's plenty of people who believe that this is total BS.  All they've done is say that they will arraign him next week, and make him face charges.  How do you state definitively that a player should face suspension under those circumstances?

10 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Do you know that it was "fighting", or an accusation of someone hitting someone, or a false claim of someone hitting someone? 

If you don't have any information, please wait for the facts to come out.  There's plenty of people who believe that this is total BS.  All they've done is say that they will arraign him next week, and make him face charges.  How do you state definitively that a player should face suspension under those circumstances?

Who are the "plenty of people" who thinks it's BS? Did the victim cause his own injuries?

RE: fighting - the article said "scuffle with another man." Sounds like fighting to me.

I remain disappointed in the coaching staff for playing him the same week some of the players were in a local elementary school as role models.

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

How ironic. Lol. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I agree wholeheartedly with "innocent until proven guilty", but you would think that a guy that has been wrongly accused of murder would be extra careful to not put himself in any situation that could be taken the wrong way. Either he has the worst luck in the world, or Mr. Bell did something wrong here. 

That being said, I believe he absolutely should play until he is found guilty, or at least until enough evidence is presented against him that Bowden feels comfortable making a decision.

• Like 1

Looking at the schedule at the beginning of the year, I think we would all be very pleased with coming out of OOC 2-2. If we went 1-3 I would feel that the program wasn't taking another step forward. The MAC East is looking like crap this year, I'll be disappointed if we don't win that. I'd also be thrilled with getting 1 of Toledo or WMU as they each appear to be the class of the conference this season. Agree on Lako. He made a nice play and would like to see him get more of a shot at our weakest position. Nice to see that Brown's injury wasn't too bad as he was playing. I know Marcus is battling a shoulder issue seemingly constantly, but would like him on the field more if possible. He is really our only playmaker on defense right now and he made zero big plays yesterday. App State is a good team, have to give them credit, but our defense still has a ways to go. Boxen being out hurt us. I didn't notice Hamilton at all yesterday. Maybe he played, but he didn't make a play. Seemed Williams and Copeland were in there the most.

Lane was getting straight double teamed for the first time in his career (I believe). I know he was on the 2nd interception for sure, among other plays. Good learning experience for him, Woody, and the coaching staff I'd imagine.

Good news is we start conference play against sorry Kent and Miami. Gives us even more time to work out kinks/improve/hopefully get healthy until we get into the meat of our conference schedule.

Edit: As for the Bell topic, I absolutely believe he should be facing some sort of punishment. Now I don't think it should be severe over a scuffle with another guy. Maybe 1 or 2 games. You don't pay attention to other happenings in college sports if you think otherwise. There is no innocent until proven guilty. How many of the Baylor players have been proven guilty of rape? Was Tree ever charged with anything? What about the Brionte Dunn who BuckZip alluded too? I could go on and on. Right or wrong, it's a privilege to play collegiate sports, not a right.

Edited by LZIp

I'm surprised that nobody has talked about Attendance, unless I missed it.

I at least expected the ANNOUNCED attendance to be over 17k, and it wasn't.  My guess would be that it certainly didn't even look like 10k in the stands.  

We had won 7 of our last 8 game, had perfect weather, and that crowd was a major disappointment.  Unless NE Ohio college football fans were staying at home to watch the much-anticipated battle between Kent and Alabama :lol:  But seriously, I hope I never hear "just win more games" or "the weather wasn't good" as a reason why people aren't coming.  

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

I'm surprised that nobody has talked about Attendance, unless I missed it.

I at least expected the ANNOUNCED attendance to be over 17k, and it wasn't.  My guess would be that it certainly didn't even look like 10k in the stands.  

We had won 7 of our last 8 game, had perfect weather, and that crowd was a major disappointment.  Unless NE Ohio college football fans were staying at home to watch the much-anticipated battle between Kent and Alabama :lol:  But seriously, I hope I never hear "just win more games" or "the weather wasn't good" as a reason why people aren't coming.  

http://www.gozips.com/sports/fball/2016-17/teams/akron?view=attendance

The official attendance was 15,381, not terrible for the MAC but 18K would have been nice. It will just go as the quality of the team goes. We need to attain Toledo performance to get Toledo attendance. Great opportunity for us to win the East, if OU and BG let us, and get some more buzz from the MACC and another bowl game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Looking at the schedule at the beginning of the year, I think we would all be very pleased with coming out of OOC 2-2. If we went 1-3 I would feel that the program wasn't taking another step forward. The MAC East is looking like crap this year, I'll be disappointed if we don't win that. I'd also be thrilled with getting 1 of Toledo or WMU as they each appear to be the class of the conference this season.

+1. And it was a pretty solid 2-2, very close to 3-1 even with the D being banged up and lacking depth. I think we're still going to need a few key transfers on D for next year. I could see the Toledo/WMU games being similar to the ASU game. Hopefully Ball will be healthy and we can have fast starts and score more than 38 ppg.

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UAZippers said:

I agree wholeheartedly with "innocent until proven guilty", but you would think that a guy that has been wrongly accused of murder would be extra careful to not put himself in any situation that could be taken the wrong way. Either he has the worst luck in the world, or Mr. Bell did something wrong here. 

That being said, I believe he absolutely should play until he is found guilty, or at least until enough evidence is presented against him that Bowden feels comfortable making a decision.

If you want some details and have not already done so,go to the Akron PD website. Get on report look up. Date of incident 5-8-16 at 320 Power St. Misd. assault but not filed until 9-16-16. There was a break in at that same address on 5-14.

9 hours ago, Buckzip said:

How ironic. Lol. 

If you find it amusing that AKRON fans on an AKRON forum are presenting facts and giving their thoughts relating to a problem with an AKRON player....

Just imagine how amused we are when someone uses an AKRON forum to continually dispute charges against all of the players from one specific competitor.  

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

Looking at the schedule at the beginning of the year, I think we would all be very pleased with coming out of OOC 2-2. If we went 1-3 I would feel that the program wasn't taking another step forward. The MAC East is looking like crap this year, I'll be disappointed if we don't win that. I'd also be thrilled with getting 1 of Toledo or WMU as they each appear to be the class of the conference this season. Agree on Lako. He made a nice play and would like to see him get more of a shot at our weakest position. Nice to see that Brown's injury wasn't too bad as he was playing. I know Marcus is battling a shoulder issue seemingly constantly, but would like him on the field more if possible. He is really our only playmaker on defense right now and he made zero big plays yesterday. App State is a good team, have to give them credit, but our defense still has a ways to go. Boxen being out hurt us. I didn't notice Hamilton at all yesterday. Maybe he played, but he didn't make a play. Seemed Williams and Copeland were in there the most.

Lane was getting straight double teamed for the first time in his career (I believe). I know he was on the 2nd interception for sure, among other plays. Good learning experience for him, Woody, and the coaching staff I'd imagine.

Good news is we start conference play against sorry Kent and Miami. Gives us even more time to work out kinks/improve/hopefully get healthy until we get into the meat of our conference schedule.

Edit: As for the Bell topic, I absolutely believe he should be facing some sort of punishment. Now I don't think it should be severe over a scuffle with another guy. Maybe 1 or 2 games. You don't pay attention to other happenings in college sports if you think otherwise. There is no innocent until proven guilty. How many of the Baylor players have been proven guilty of rape? Was Tree ever charged with anything? What about the Brionte Dunn who BuckZip alluded too? I could go on and on. Right or wrong, it's a privilege to play collegiate sports, not a right.

Marcus made our only play (the fumble) in probably less than a half of work. That being said, I'd be shocked if he went next week and wouldn't be surprised if he was out for much longer than anyone wants to hear.